BiggerPockets

rental property tax example - please advise!

Forum Powered By:

31 posts by 10 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Corey Demuth

Real Estate Investor from Queens, New York

Nov 19 '10, 04:33 AM
2 votes

I am still a bit confused about the whole topic of tax benefits from having rental property. Can anyone take a look at this example, and let me know if I am doing this correctly?

An investor has a full-time job making 60k. He buys a 2-family property for $60,000; the mortgage payment including tax and insurance is $550/month. The total rent he collects between the two apartments is $750/month. (so the profit is $200/month.)

For the sake of this example, let's just assume that in the beginning, of that $550 payment, $300/month is going toward interest on the mortgage.

So my calculations would be that the rental profit is 2400 for the year, which is considered a capital gain.

The interest paid would allow the investor to deduct 3600.

Furthermore, the building can be depreciated over 27.5 years. So, 1/27.5 * $60,000 = 2181.81, which should be the amount he can deduct for depreciation each year. So in fact, between the interest deduction and the depreciation deduction, he can actually deduct 3600+2181.81, or 5781.81. Subtract the 2400 profit he made by collecting rent, and you have $3381.81 that he can deduct - so essentially just by having this rental property he is shielding 3381.81 of his salary from his regular job, from being taxed. And on top of that, he makes $2400.

Am I correct or am I horribly misunderstanding how this all works? Also, did I miss out on any other potential tax benefits the investor could be getting in this example?

Thanks!

J Scott Verified Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Ellicott City, Maryland

Nov 19 '10, 05:40 AM
4 votes

First, I'm not a CPA or an accountant, so if anyone disagree with me, seriously consider the fact that they may be right and I may be wrong... :)

Depending on how the property is held (business entity or personally) will impact this analysis a bit. But here are the basics assuming he owns the property personally and all income/expenses go right onto his personal 1040...

The property equity, any rehab costs (prior to renting) and capital expenses are all considered Fixed Assets and go right to the Balance Sheet (in other words, they don't count towards income or expense until sold).

All rents, application fees, late fees, etc (basically, all income) are considered Income in the year it was received and gets added to the top line of your tax return.

All expenses -- taxes, insurance, maintenance, property management, interest on your loan payments, etc -- are considered Expenses, and are subtracted from your top-line income before your tax is calculated.

Likewise, depreciation is an Expense and is subtracted from the top line income. But, remember, you're only allowed to depreciate the cost of the dwelling, not the land -- so make sure you subtract out the land value (generally 10-25%) before determining depreciation amounts. Rental property is depreciated over 27.5 years.

So, in your example, the gross rents for the year are about $750 * 12 = $9000 (this assumes no vacancy loss). If he collected any other money -- late fees, application fees, etc -- these would be added in to the income as well.

So, $9000 is added to the person's top line income.

Let's assume 33% of the gross rents went to expenses (the 50% Rule would indicate more, but remember that includes vacancy and capital expenses, which aren't really Expenses in this calculation). That means $3000 was spent on expenses.

Additionally, he paid $550/month in mortgage, of which a percentage is interest. Let's say an average of $400/month of that payment went to interest. So, there is an interest expense of $400 * 12 = $4800.

Lastly, let's say that of the $60K property, 80% is the dwelling and 20% is the land value. So, he can depreciate 1/27 of ($60K * 80%) = $1777.77. For this example, let's round to $1800 for depreciation. That as well is considered an Expense.

So, total Expenses are:

$3300 + $4800 + $1800 = $9900

In total, we have $9000 in Income and $9900 in Expenses, so the net loss for this property would be $900. That $900 would come off his total income, and if he were in the 25% tax bracket, would result in a tax savings of about $225 for the year.

Hopefully I did that right...I'm sure someone else will check my work... :)

And again, I'm not a CPA or a tax professional in any way, shape or form...

Medium_lishproplogoJ Scott, Lish Properties, LLC
E-Mail: [email protected]
CHECK OUT MY BIGGERPOCKETS BOOKS: http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Account Closed

Nov 19 '10, 06:20 AM

J Scott did a good job in explaining it. Your expenses may include an in home office. You don't want to forget that if you are managing the units to take your auto deductions as well.

Jon Holdman Moderator

SFR Investor from Wheat Ridge, Colorado

Nov 19 '10, 06:22 AM
1 vote

That's sort of how it works. But the math isn't quite correct.

In reality your profit is nowhere near $200 a month. There are many other expenses in addition to taxes and insurance. You never have 100% occupancy over the long term. Your example is really the best possible case, and most years you would have numerous other expenses.

You get the idea of the depreciation and interest about right. But you subtract those from the gross rents to determine your taxable income. You can also subtract other expenses, but you're assuming only taxes and insurance.

Depreciation is based on only the improvements, not the entire property. Knowing nothing else, the usually assumption is that 80% of the value is the improvements and 20% are the land.

P&I on a $60K, 6%, 30 year loan would be $359.73. So, I'll assume the other $190.27 a month is taxes and insurance. That seems rather high.

Total rent: $9,000
Interest: $3,579.96
Taxes & Insurance: $2,283.24
Depreciation: $1,745.45
Total deductions: $7,608.65
Taxable income: $1,391.35

In this case, your taxable income is positive, so this property generates a tax bill.

If the property was more expensive and had higher depreciation and interest, the taxable income might be negative. In that case, and with your $60K income assumption, that could be used to offset some of the ordinary income.

However, that offset is limited to a max of $25K a year. Further, it only applies if your AGI is under $100K. For AGI over $150K this offset (called the "special allowance") goes away, and it phases out between $100K and $150K.

Another gotcha is that the depreciation generates recapture tax, So, that $1,745.45 becomes taxable when you sell, at the "depreciation recapture tax rate". That's the same as your ordinary income rate, but is (currently) capped at 25%.

Jon Holdman, Flying Phoenix LLC

Account Closed

Nov 19 '10, 06:32 AM

Jon, you would certainly have more in deductions than the 7,608 you are listing here. If I saw this tax return come in, I would recommend the client amend their return because it is clear something has been left on the table.

Corey Demuth

Nov 19 '10, 07:03 AM

Then I really don't understand why so many people talk about the tax benefits of owning rental property like it's some huge deal... ???

Tom S.

Real Estate Investor from Burlington, Vermont

Nov 19 '10, 07:28 AM

I thought that J Scott's example was extremely close to what I see on my tax returns in terms of expenses and depreciation.

The largest benefit is that you can deduct up to $25,000 from your tax income on your personal taxes. So if you accumulate a few properties and have $60k per year in income, that's reduced to $35k which is a big reduction in taxes. "Up to" is the catch - if you only have one property it may be much less. It also phases out starting at $100k in income.

You deduct the depreciation now, so the key effect is taking tax deductions now. In general, any time you defer taxes it's beneficial.

Also not a tax advisor but I have owned rental property for 9 years.

Hope that helps.
- Tom

Corey Demuth

Nov 19 '10, 07:30 AM
1 vote

Also, what exactly happens with the depreciation when you go to sell those properties later on... and what if you do a 1031 exchange to upgrade say from several SFR's to an apartment building?

Account Closed

Nov 19 '10, 07:31 AM
1 vote

There are great tax advantages to owning real estate. Depreciation is one. A home office deduction can be one. There are are a number of other business related deductions that can be taken as well.

If you are a w-2 wage earner there is not much you can do to decrease your tax hit. If you own real estate or have a business you open the door to many possible deductions.

Without knowing your exact situation it is hard to detail any tax advantages. It is not uncommon for real estate to show a paper loss even though there is income in your pocket.

Jon Holdman Moderator

SFR Investor from Wheat Ridge, Colorado

Nov 19 '10, 07:34 AM

Yes Charles, I agree. I got distracted in the middle of posting, and Jason's post beat mine. He gives a better take on the true expenses. The 50% rule would predict "expenses" of $4500 a year rather than the $2,283.24. Now, a chunk of that is vacancy, which is part of the $9000 you just never get, and part is capital which actually goes to increase deprecation. Using $4500 brings the taxable income to -$825.

Corey, this actually isn't too bad of a deal. Not great, because the rents are so low, but better than many. Consider a $150K house that rents for $1000 a month. That's a payment of $899, which is $8950 for interest the first year. Depreciation is $4364. Now, lets assume taxes and insurance are the only expense, as is commonly done when a crummy deal is promoted. That makes PITI $1099, meaning you're cash flow negative $99 a month. Your total deductions for the year are $15,713 (above numbers plus $2400 for taxes and insurance). With $1200 in rent, you have $3714 in negative taxable income. At 28% marginal tax bracket, that offsets $1040 in taxes for the year or $87 a month. That makes you just about break even. So, with the unrealistic expense assumption and the "tax benefit", this ugly pig has enough lipstick that it looks OK. In reality this is probably losing you $400 a month and getting $170 a month back in tax benefits. And that benefit is all coming from the depreciation, which becomes taxable when (if) you sell.

Jon Holdman, Flying Phoenix LLC

Bryan Hancock

Real Estate Investor from Round Rock, Texas

Nov 19 '10, 08:39 AM
1 vote

Originally posted by Corey Demuth:
Also, what exactly happens with the depreciation when you go to sell those properties later on... and what if you do a 1031 exchange to upgrade say from several SFR's to an apartment building?

This is a fantastic question! The answer is that the "recapture tax" that is higher than capital gains can be deferred indefinitely with the right exchange strategies. The rub is that in order to monetize this equity you either have to refinance the property and incur high transaction costs or eventually sell and incur taxation. There is "boot" for all of this and you may want to read about it a bit:

Boot Primer

There are likely better articles...I just grabbed one so you can make sure you know what to search for.

You can also monetize this deferred gain by purchasing property with greater cash yields. Commercial property benefits from economies of scale and will have greater capitalization rates that SFRs in most instances. The ROE is higher and it will be a better investment.

Hope that helps some...

Medium_inner10_logo__updated_Bryan Hancock, Inner 10 Capital
Telephone: 1-800-577-0401
Our Recent Austin Business Journal Article - http://tinyurl.com/Inner10Capital

Account Closed

Nov 19 '10, 09:03 AM
1 vote

If you sell the property you will probably have capital gains and the depreciation will be recaptured. Meaning that you will pay tax on depreciation deductions that had been taken in the past. A note here is property is subject to depreciation recapture regardless of whether you claimed depreciation or not. Any selling costs will be added to your basis in the property.

A 1031 exchange defers and gains recognition. It also means that you will have a lower basis in the new property for which to base your depreciation expenses.

Bryan Hancock

Nov 19 '10, 09:25 AM

Charles...Can you give us a short lesson on boot? How does it apply for most investors that exchange up from smaller properties to larger ones?

Account Closed

Nov 19 '10, 09:34 AM

Basically boot is any cash taken out of a transaction. Boot can also be a reduction in ones mortgage.

In a 1031 exchange any boot received is tax at capital gains rates in the year received.

Bryan Hancock

Nov 19 '10, 09:38 AM

So how do you determine what is considered boot and what is considered "recapture"? This is quite confusing to me. Why would some of the gain be taxed at capital gains rates and some be taxed at recapture rates?

I am sure there is a logical explanation for this and it may be complicated, but a simplified example may serve to illustrate the point for the OP.

Account Closed

Nov 19 '10, 09:49 AM
1 vote

Not sure what your question is. Boot is actual cash received. I haven't heard of any transactions where you receive money in the form of recaptured depreciation.

Here is the basic idea

Selling price - basis of property sold-selling costs+recaptured depreciation =taxable income. This is the amount that capital gains will be computed on.

Some investors are not allowed capital gains tax treatment. An investor that is considered a dealer for instance most of the time anyone flipping homes will be ineligible for capital gains tax treatment and will be taxed at ordinary income tax rates and will pay self employment tax.

Basis in property:

Original price paid plus many of the closing costs when the property was purchased.
Add capital improvements made over the years

Bryan Hancock

Nov 19 '10, 10:08 AM

So this doesn't apply if the property is refinanced....right? That is not a taxable event from what I understand. Does boot apply here? I don't think that it does, but I wanted to confirm.

Account Closed

Nov 19 '10, 10:22 AM
1 vote

Boot doesn't apply when you are refinancing property. If you take cash out this is essentially a loan to your self and is in no way taxable.

Bryan Hancock

Nov 19 '10, 10:30 AM

So the moral of the story is not to sell your properties! Just exchange and/or refinance. The only reason to sell long-term product is if you HAVE to get access to cash in excess of what exchanging up and refinancing would yield.

Anyone disagree?

Account Closed

Nov 19 '10, 10:58 AM

It is especially unwise to sell one property then turn around to buy another when you are reducing your available money paying capital gains taxes.

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums