• Real Estate Investor
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
Pet Peeves

Myka M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dayton, OH
Posted Jan 14 2010, 16:30

I can't stand people who use incorrect grammar (contractions)..... I just have to let it out!!!! I almost don't even want to log in to sites anymore.

Quick lesson.

You - I hope you know what this is and means.
Your - This is YOUR possession.
You're - You are!!!!! You're going to the store for me aren't you?

They - As in those people. They like me, they really like me!
They're - As in they are. No, they don't like you, they're just saying that.
Their and theirs - Their rights as citizens have been forfeited. The choice was theirs to make.
There- Like In or at a place opposed to here. It's over there.
There's- Like There is. There's some real estate I want to purchase.

People please educate yourselves. Professionals will not (won't) and can not (can't) see you as a professional when you write things like...

Your just gonna have to get over their. That is not a sentence!!!!! AAARRRGHHH!!!
Plus it really makes me want to :shoot:

Honestly, when I come across a professional who uses third grade grammar like this, I have to ignore every word that comes out of their mouth. If you can't grasp these simple concepts how in the hell are you going to put together a complex, multi-million dollar deal?

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Jan 14 2010, 13:10

You missed this thread:
http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/56/topics/38270-teh-fury-

User Stats

Votes
Richard Warren
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jan 14 2010, 13:26

My pet peeve is when people mix up loose and lose. How many times do you see someone say they are loosing money. Do they mean it's not tight any more?

:cool:

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Myka M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dayton, OH
Replied Jan 14 2010, 21:10
Originally posted by Richard Warren:
My pet peeve is when people mix up loose and lose. How many times do you see someone say they are loosing money. Do they mean it's not tight any more?

:cool:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one!!! :lol:

User Stats

Votes
Myka M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dayton, OH
Replied Jan 14 2010, 21:16
And I just love those who are "performing do diligence" when they really want to be "performing due diligence". And I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are good for nothing other than "performing doo diligence".
Steve, I knew there was a reason I liked you!!! :woohoo: Hilarious!!!!!!

User Stats

Votes
Mark N.A
  • Real Estate Investor
  • North Carolina
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • North Carolina
Replied Jan 15 2010, 06:04

I'm sort of forgiving with email and on forums.

However a while ago some tattoo artist got sued for inking this into a customer:

"Born To Loose".

User Stats

Votes
Claude Hodge
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Castle Rock / Ft. Carson, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Castle Rock / Ft. Carson, CO
Replied Jan 15 2010, 07:10

How about "irregardless"?

User Stats

Votes
Myka M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dayton, OH
Replied Jan 15 2010, 08:36
Originally posted by Claude Hodge:
How about "irregardless"?

I hate that one too! Irregardless... I mean where did that even come from?

User Stats

Votes
Sam M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Craigmont, ID
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Craigmont, ID
Replied Jan 16 2010, 14:43

Cough...spew.....hack.....wheeze. This thread is great!!!!!!!
I couldn't agree more. I've found this on a lot of forums. I just shake my head and wonder how some people get business at all.

Account Closed
  • OR
Votes |
  • OR
Replied Jan 16 2010, 17:06

Isn't that just the funniest thing? Because my pet peeve is people who think they are superior because they are good spellers. Any $8 an hour secretary can spell. It hardly qualifies a person to be condescending.

Take it into account that some people have learning disabilities or restricted vision. On the internet, there is no way to know if perhaps that person with a grammar error might not be a native speaker.

User Stats

Votes
Ralph S.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Jan 16 2010, 21:56

Two each there're own. What P NW said. Any communication clearly understood is less than perfect?

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/69/topics/44212-banks-need-are-help

User Stats

Votes
Sam M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Craigmont, ID
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Craigmont, ID
Replied Jan 16 2010, 23:05
Originally posted by Ralph S.:
Two each there're own. What P NW said. Any communication clearly understood is less than perfect?

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/69/topics/44212-banks-need-are-help

No comment.
I've contributed to this type of argument on a public forum before and I just come away feeling more than sheepish. :oops: No sense in acting like I have the need to defend my position.
Peace

User Stats

Votes
Myka M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dayton, OH
Replied Jan 17 2010, 02:34

Ok guys. Learning disabled people doing business Is not impossible. I am sorry if you think I am arrogant because I wanted to give a lesson on how to properly use common elementary words.

I really should think that that leaves less comment to be desired from people who take offense to any statement made here. There are people all over the world who would love to be in our position as a society who has the time to drink our coffee while ranting our frustrations online.

You know, there was a bigger picture in mind for this thread... for me anyway. I live in the land of opportunity, or so I hear it is called every now and again. I would just think that if someone is going to take advantage of that opportunity, especially someone native to that land, that they would educate themselves on the basics, before or even after they have reached their goals.

I have seen people on this site who say, hey my English isn't so good, please forgive the thread or conversation. You can tell for the most part when people are obviously not native speakers. I should have mentioned that statements made at the beginning of this thread are not all inclusive. Someone, with a little common sense would have known that. Sorry.

I know people who can not even read and own plenty of stock (not literally) in something. What I am saying is, hey I can't stand it when people try to speak intelligently about something case in point..." banks-need-are-help" and they can't use correct grammarl. When you try to give your opinion be sure that people will take you seriously. Of course it is common for people to make mistakes in spelling, but mistaking they're for there is not a spelling error. Furthermore, anyone whom refers to themselves as an $8 an hour secretary would probably try to learn from the post above so that they could correct their grammatical errors in the future.

So now I want to challenge everyone... A very simple and very basic challenge.

Example:
Charity A

Letter from a charity a organization asking for help:

Hi,

We got kids out here that's needs your help. Please donate $10,000 today and we gonna send you a picture of a kid in need. X neighborhood kids need are help. Yous can be the diference between them eating or not!

Please donate today.

Sincerely,

Whoever

Would you give $10,000 of your hard earned money to an organization who can't convey a basic and simple message without misspellings and detailed information?

Letter from charity b organization asking for help:

Dear Constituent:

I would like to inform you that my organization is working hard to battle hunger in X area. We have done x, x, and x to thwart some chilling starvation events in this area.

Unfortunately, we have found that we can no longer do it alone. However, with your donation of $10,000, we will then be able to again afford these small children and families with x, x, and x.

We will award you with a prestigious award showing what wonders you have done for us and give you the biggest tax write off of the century.

Contact us at 555-5555 for more details.

Thank you.

Which one would you throw away? Which one would you take seriously?

This is not my arrogance, these grammatical mistakes could mean road blocks for people who choose not to correct them. Personally I have found that educated people that I deal with and have dealt with don't want to surround themselves with, or do business with buffoonery.

When you look at a resume and there are spelling and grammatical errors throughout, then you look at another resume with a little less experience listed but are accurate in spelling, grammar and conveys its representative owners experience well. Which one do you choose to represent you in your business?

Representation and presentation are keys to many doors. It is very important to represent yourself professionally and intelligently in everything you do. That's my opinion... I'm entitled to that and I'm stickin' to it!

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Dorkin
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Replied Jan 17 2010, 06:04

Lets take it down a notch here. Myka, like anyone else, is perfectly justified in expressing a pet peeve. There is no reason for her to be attacked for it.

Furthermore, in the post Stever refers to, several people speak about the fact that grammar/spelling mistakes are peeves, but none of them are attacked for it.

If you can't be nice, your posts will be removed.

User Stats

Votes
Ralph S.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Jan 17 2010, 21:22

Well, I'm sorry if my post was interpreted as an attack. Such is the way with written communication. I guess mine was less than perfect, and I think, supports my counterpoint very well.

I, too, am irked sometimes by the topic, who isn't, but without recognizing or acknowledging the relative value of proper English, which can be negligible in some cases, or using it to convey a degree of professionalism, well, I just don't agree that those dots are always connected. Not an attack, but an observation based on my own experiences and the old adage that you can't tell a book by its cover.

User Stats

Votes
Timothy W.#3 Off Topic Contributor
  • Investor
  • Viera, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Viera, FL
Replied Jan 17 2010, 21:29

Folks,
This is an international site with many people posting on here who's primary language is not English. You're going to run into this more often in a globalizing economy.

User Stats

Votes
Eddie Ziv
  • Investor
  • Mableton, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Mableton, GA
Replied Jan 17 2010, 21:48
Originally posted by nmbr1wholesaler:
I can't stand people who use incorrect grammar (contractions)..... I just have to let it out!!!! I almost don't even want to log in to sites anymore.

Boy, am I happy you're not my wife... And thank you Tim for pointing out what should be the obvious. Not only this is an international site, but this is also a country of immigrants who unlike you dear lady, were not born with English between their teeth.... Having said that, I remember one recent president and one vice president candidate who actually made up their own English language... BTW, if you find any mistakes in this post (and believe me I had my share..) Knock your self out fixing them.... :wink:

User Stats

Votes
Myka M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dayton, OH
Replied Jan 17 2010, 22:46
Boy, am I happy you're not my wife... .... :wink:

LOL. The feeling is mutual! Nevertheless, we are all entitled to our opinions. Mine will stay the same, people of obvious intelligence, who were born with the English language "in their teeth" should be able to use their own native language properly.

This is an international site and most would think it would be clear to a native English speaker... who is a native speaker and who is not. Funny, how one just can't tell anymore because we, as intelligent human beings, don't take our own language seriously enough to convey ourselves as such.

The wost part is... these international members see our blunders and mishaps in grammar and it teaches them. Not saying anyone here is perfect, because I am sure you can find several errors in my posts as well. We're missing the point. Misspelling something and error in grammar are two separate issues.

EX: You're missing the point.
Your missing the point.

BTW, When I visit a site that is a Spanish site and I use incorrect grammar I am immediately corrected.

"Oye, como va. Me llama Myka. Hola Tim Igualmenta."

Immediately, I get. "No, es igualmente." Letting me know I used the wrong information in my sentence.

Our own culture is... this is minor blow it off... as long as I've got my point across. We have forgotten there are people out there that look up to us and down to us as well. Knowing that this is an international site would be all the more reason for me to step up my grammar and spelling muscles.

User Stats

Votes
Myka M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dayton, OH
Replied Jan 17 2010, 22:53

Thanks for all your responses. Even if you disagree I hope that there are no hard feelings as that was not my intention.

My apologies on this...

I can't stand people who use incorrect grammar (contractions)...

That was an all inclusive statement and it shouldn't have been made. I was taking what I was saying too lightly and thought others would do the same.

So for correction... I can't stand it when people use incorrect grammar repeatedly in their posts online.

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
  • Viera, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Viera, FL
Replied Jan 18 2010, 06:35

"Boy, am I happy you're not my wife... .... :wink:"

"LOL. The feeling is mutual!"

Now that was just cold....lol.

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
  • Viera, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Viera, FL
Replied Jan 18 2010, 06:45

"Even if you disagree I hope that there are no hard feelings as that was not my intention."

You're missing a comma after disagree.

"My apologies on this..."

You still need a period at the end of a sentence. Ending it in an ellipses alone is not sufficient.

Just chill about it. We all know what everyone is saying here. :lol:

User Stats

Votes
Will Barnard
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
ModeratorReplied Jan 18 2010, 06:56

Can't yall get along! I mean you all.
(That was just a joke for you non joke getting people - I like Eddie and Myka)

I mean really, if your going to act is if you're szit doesnt stink, then their going to get there's in the end and don't be surprised if there's is better then your'es.

(How is that for F'in up the English language!) :mrgreen:

User Stats

Votes
Eddie Ziv
  • Investor
  • Mableton, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Mableton, GA
Replied Jan 18 2010, 20:36

Language has one purpose which is a mean of expression. In its simplest form it meant to convey thoughts from one perosn to another or others. In its more sophisticated and complex form it's a tool of art, like canvas and paint, or a movie camera, it can be used to tell a story. However, the bottom line is, language is about one's ability to convey thoughts to others and in that sense who cares if a person wrote your instead of You're. Any person with minimum intelligence can understand the context of the sentence, and the mind would correct it automatically... Now, if a spelling or grammar mistake changes the meaning of what the person meant in the first place, then to repeat the famous quote form 1967 film Cool Hand Luke - "What we've got here is a failure to communicate"...

User Stats

Votes
Myka M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dayton, OH
Replied Jan 18 2010, 20:36

Will - Roses, smells like roses... and chocolate...
Tim, I like eclipses... I mean ellipses... I use 'em all the time... I can't help it... and believe it or not I remember answering someone else's pet peeve about them.

True story... The girl was like... " your are retarded for using the eclipses all the time".

I guess you can imagine what my response was. LOL.

OK you guys got me... my grandmother was an English teacher, with like OCD about the English language, for 20 years before I was even born (recently retired). I hated the corrections tremendously growing up but I guess some of that rubbed off.

Don't sue. It's all in good fun.

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
  • Viera, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Viera, FL
Replied Jan 18 2010, 21:01
Originally posted by nmbr1wholesaler:
my grandmother was an English teacher

As a former English teacher myself, I'm going to tell you a secret about the English language. 99% of the greatest literary works of all times are completely riddled with grammatical and mechanics errors. Strict adherence to grammar doesn't improve your communication; it hinders it. Grammar is a set of rules that are meant to be learned so you can break them, but break them effectively.

User Stats

Votes
Mark N.A
  • Real Estate Investor
  • North Carolina
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • North Carolina
Replied Jan 19 2010, 00:49

Regardless of who you are or where you're from, there are three cases where you absolutely MUST adhere to all the rules:

1) In your resume, especially if you are a college graduate.

2) On any website you create.

3) In most professional communication arenas (teaching, writing, lecturing, seminar-ing, and so forth).

However, when you're really bold you get to invent words like 'seminar-ing'...... (and then use lots of dots after for dramatic shading........)