I hate them.... they obviously work though. Another investor in town told me he puts out 200+ new ones every month and that is his sole source of deals.
I was considering jumping into the fray of posting bandit signs. All the "Guru's" claim to use hand-written signs, etc. Obviously high traffic areas (stop-lights, exit ramps, etc.)
My question is: Are these more successful in lower income (not high crime) areas where the homes sell for less? These neighborhoods are typically more active for wholesaling/rehabbing than the upper middle class suberbia. Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated.
Real Estate Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2008 · 387 posts · 8 votes
19y
I had never heard of using handwritten signs for this purpose. Has anyone else heard or tested and could tell that they work better? That sure would be a huge amount more worth than just ordering them predone. Anyway, here is the site that I plan on buying them from, I shopped around, it seems to be cheapest. http://www.supercheapsigns.com/
Has anyone found a cheaper source?
I think the logic behind hand-written signs is the same as sending marketing letters out with handwritten addresses. More personal, intimate, interesting, etc. Getting yourself seperated from the junk mail (or junk signs)
Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
19y
I do see handwritten signs around here, though usually for things other than houses. Buying motorcycles and bikes, in particular. But, I've seen the same sign so many times, they must actually be printed. The CAUSS folks (google them, if you're curious) seem very active on this side of town. They cut out a chunk of the phone number and stick a note saying "help stop these illegal signs." I guess it has the effect of making them useless, but they look even worse!
Real Estate Coach · Enola, PA · Member since 2008 · 33 posts · 0 votes
19y
Handwritten signs seems to get more of a response, I haven't done extensive testing, but that just seems to be my results. I know of other "gurus" who say the same thing, which might/might not mean much. I think the difference is that people are less immune to handwritten because it feels less "commercial".
I would say 90% of the leads from the signs. The website that you mentioned is the cheapest I found so far too.
Othe way of marketing (post cards, letters, phone calls) and getting leads I got 1%- 10%.
Be carefull with the city they can fine you with the signs by tracing the phone number. You have to de samrt about it
Real Estate Investor · London · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 74 votes
19y
In some communities the fine is small enough that you can just roll it in as a cost of doing business.
In one case I know the person advertising uses a pre-paid mobile phone so that the number can not be traced using normal processes. He changes the number every so often to decrease even further the people chasing him.
Real Estate Investor · El Paso, TX · Member since 2008 · 66 posts · 15 votes
18y
Here's a post I put out elsewhere: I’m a newbie and just bought my first set of 200 bandit signs. Last night, Friday, we placed our first 30 signs at key intersections of our target area and at a couple of on ramps to the freeway leading into downtown, so I’m positive they are getting tons of exposure. I’m a little discouraged because I haven’t received a single phone call and I’m under the impression that the life of a bandit sign is mostly weekends. The signs I put up are 18x24, white letters with a red background that read:
WE BUY
HOUSES!!
1-800-BUY-KWIK
We purchased a license to use the vanity number in hopes that we could generate more calls. To be quite honest, I’m feel discouraged that I haven’t gotten a single call, but I don’t know the effectiveness of bandit signs and approximately how many calls they generate a week, I would love to hear from experienced investors about their stories with bandit signs and what kind of responses they get. Also knowing where you place at intersections, as in telephone poles or stakes, facing traffic as it leaves to work from the target area or facing traffic as it comes home from work, what is too many signs and what isn’t enough, etc.
I really look forward to hearing what you guys have to say.
Real Estate Consultant · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 1 post · 0 votes
18y
Originally posted by "gideon625":
Here's a post I put out elsewhere: I’m a newbie and just bought my first set of 200 bandit signs. Last night, Friday, we placed our first 30 signs at key intersections of our target area and at a couple of on ramps to the freeway leading into downtown, so I’m positive they are getting tons of exposure. I’m a little discouraged because I haven’t received a single phone call and I’m under the impression that the life of a bandit sign is mostly weekends. The signs I put up are 18x24, white letters with a red background that read:
WE BUY
HOUSES!!
1-800-BUY-KWIK
We purchased a license to use the vanity number in hopes that we could generate more calls. To be quite honest, I’m feel discouraged that I haven’t gotten a single call, but I don’t know the effectiveness of bandit signs and approximately how many calls they generate a week, I would love to hear from experienced investors about their stories with bandit signs and what kind of responses they get. Also knowing where you place at intersections, as in telephone poles or stakes, facing traffic as it leaves to work from the target area or facing traffic as it comes home from work, what is too many signs and what isn’t enough, etc.
I really look forward to hearing what you guys have to say.
Here is my story.
I have been wholesaling, rehabbing, retailing for 4 years now. Bandit signs are my favorite form of marketing in low income areas. My first time out I only put out about 25 signs which got me a couple of calls from what seemed to be 2 heroin addicts seeking conversation about buying houses :groovy:
My second time out after speaking with more experience investors was that you HAVE to do at the very least 100 signs at a time. I chose a zip code, picked up a map and plotted out a course to follow. It took me and a buddy about 3 hours to put up 105 signs. I went out at 12 midnight, got home at about 4 and the calls started rolling in at 8:30 that morning. I got about 8 calls which turned into 2 actual deals that paid me.
From there I was out every friday night putting up signs at 12 midnight (no police or homeowner associations members to see you doing it and complain). I did this for about 4 months straight and did 1-2 deals per month. I have since moved away from bandit signs because I have different techniques for lead generation, but stay the course and be consistent it works!
Portland , OR · Member since 2008 · 29 posts · 2 votes
18y
Hey Kalm Enterprises,
A quick question. When you say that you put out 100 every Friday night, did you go back and remove them, or did you put out 100 new signs every Friday night?
Wholesaler · Largo, MD · Member since 2008 · 98 posts · 11 votes
18y
Originally posted by "KalmEnterprises":
Originally posted by "gideon625":
Here's a post I put out elsewhere: I’m a newbie and just bought my first set of 200 bandit signs. Last night, Friday, we placed our first 30 signs at key intersections of our target area and at a couple of on ramps to the freeway leading into downtown, so I’m positive they are getting tons of exposure. I’m a little discouraged because I haven’t received a single phone call and I’m under the impression that the life of a bandit sign is mostly weekends. The signs I put up are 18x24, white letters with a red background that read:
WE BUY
HOUSES!!
1-800-BUY-KWIK
We purchased a license to use the vanity number in hopes that we could generate more calls. To be quite honest, I’m feel discouraged that I haven’t gotten a single call, but I don’t know the effectiveness of bandit signs and approximately how many calls they generate a week, I would love to hear from experienced investors about their stories with bandit signs and what kind of responses they get. Also knowing where you place at intersections, as in telephone poles or stakes, facing traffic as it leaves to work from the target area or facing traffic as it comes home from work, what is too many signs and what isn’t enough, etc.
I really look forward to hearing what you guys have to say.
Here is my story.
I have been wholesaling, rehabbing, retailing for 4 years now. Bandit signs are my favorite form of marketing in low income areas. My first time out I only put out about 25 signs which got me a couple of calls from what seemed to be 2 heroin addicts seeking conversation about buying houses :groovy:
My second time out after speaking with more experience investors was that you HAVE to do at the very least 100 signs at a time. I chose a zip code, picked up a map and plotted out a course to follow. It took me and a buddy about 3 hours to put up 105 signs. I went out at 12 midnight, got home at about 4 and the calls started rolling in at 8:30 that morning. I got about 8 calls which turned into 2 actual deals that paid me.
From there I was out every friday night putting up signs at 12 midnight (no police or homeowner associations members to see you doing it and complain). I did this for about 4 months straight and did 1-2 deals per month. I have since moved away from bandit signs because I have different techniques for lead generation, but stay the course and be consistent it works!
I agree wholeheartedly. the key is to do at least 100 a month to get calls. you have to do it like you mean it. in the beginning i put up 10 and was pissed off when i didn't get 1 single call. all because i heard another investor say he put up a few and got calls. the key is massive action!
plus the more people see your sign the more they get used to it. people respond on the 3rd-7th contact so the more the merrier.
Real Estate Investor · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2008 · 296 posts · 7 votes
18y
Hand written signs work VERY well when you are selling a property. It makes potential buyers think you decided to sell your house 'on a whim' and that you don't even have enough money for real signs.
I would think that might act against you when it comes to buying. Most sellers are relatively smart and a handwritten sign may come off as 'amatuer' to them. I don't know though.
I do know that my eye goes more towards handwritten signs on the side of the road than printed ones.
Real Estate Investor · Amarillo, TX · Member since 2008 · 173 posts · 15 votes
18y
Originally posted by "9thIslandRE":
I was just thinking... maybe hand written signs are good because only someone who is desperate to sell would call a number on a hand written sign.
A more professional sign would, however, lure in the desperate sellers AND the ones who aren't really desperate but they will remember you down the road. IMO, most bandit signs represent scams or ameteurs so it's hard for me to stick with it.