Are Business Management degrees beneficial starting a business?

5 Replies

I’m a 19 year old college student currently majoring in business management and was told from people that majoring in business isn’t needed to start a business. But people I know who ran successful companies tell me it’s highly recommended to know the importance and foundations of business and it can help translate to long term success rather than short term like those drop shipping gurus. Just would like to know your opinion on this and could provide a good idea for me to see things in your perspective. Thanks!

Long term success isn't proportional to what you may learn from majoring in business management.  It helps, but much of it has to do with gaining knowledge in areas that compliment the direction you choose as a career or businessman.  

Learning how to run a business is critical to being successful in REI. Establishing business plans, learning about money, handling people, managing everything, tec...

However, REI isn't a typical business. Much of what you learn in school can be carried over to REI...but not all of it. There are some things that are actually in conflict. This is where you see some of the disagreements here and elsewhere regarding all of the items I listed above.

Yes, Business School can have a huge advantage, but like anything in life...not everything is applicable to everyone, or in this case, every business...specifically REI. Learn/focus on the reasons for what you learn...not so much the specific rules that come out of it...and apply those reasons to the specifics or REI, and you will be successful.

Hi Gabe,

Unless you want to work for a big corp (indoors) as a W2 wage slave, or become a broker, lawyer, CPA or doctor, the whole thing is Swindle designed to take your money and teach you nothing of use in the real world.

If you want to go into business for yourself, have some cash and buy an ongoing business (it's less risk of failure than starting your own). College will teach you nothing of use in the real world. It's a waste of time and money designed to enrich those in the college business not the customer.

I'd say avoid it like the plague if you want to be in business for yourself.

You can lean everything you need to know online for free.

Good Luck!

Unpopular opinion, that business management degree is worth it (as long as you're not paying 60k a year for it). To climb up the corporate ladder at big corporations the fundamentals of the degree will be beneficial. Will it be the most important thing? Absolutely not, real experience will always beat degrees. However, If it aligns with your goals in life then pursue it, if it doesn't then don't do it. In my field of work having an MBA will promote you to a manager more likely than the next guy. I also utilize a lot of the stuff I learned from my degree to manage my portfolio of rentals and expand my business. Regardless, I've learned way more from hands-on experiences and the countless self-help books I have in my collection. 

It’s not going to hurt and will give you a better idea on how to get started, but whether that is enough to to overcome the cost and time is debatable 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here