Is it WORTH Finishing my BA in Finance...?

Is it WORTH Finishing my BA in Finance...?

Andrew PettitPro Member
Rental Property Investor · RI · Member since 2017 · 100 posts · 19 votes

Hey BP,

         I want your opinion on whether or not I should finish my second degree in finance? I already have a BA in Political Science and a minor in Finance & Business Management. Is this even worth it? 

0Reply
49 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

How many more hours and money will it take? What are you planning on doing with the degree?

See this reply in the discussion

40 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    How many more hours and money will it take? What are you planning on doing with the degree?

  • Rental Property Investor · Fayetteville, AK · Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 41 votes
    7y

    @Andrew Pettit These questions are difficult to answer without some further context, specifically your short and long-term goals and the terms (tuition / opportunity cost) of the degree.

    But to take my shot at it, I would say: First, what are your goals and how does finishing a Finance degree from the school you are going to or looking at help you reach those goals? Second, can you reach these goals without the Finance degree?

    Of course, there are other factors to play. You can self-educate through books/podcasts and on-the-job training/experience, but if you truly love finance and want an institutional environment, go for it. If you're going to a top school with little out-of-pocket cost and little opportunity cost, go for it. 

  • Andrew PettitPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · RI · Member since 2017 · 100 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    Thanks, Eugene. I really don't know and I am really tired of school. 

  • Andrew PettitPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · RI · Member since 2017 · 100 posts · 19 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Matt M.:

    How many more hours and money will it take? What are you planning on doing with the degree?

    Hey Matt,

    It will cost no money, I will use my GI Bill while on active duty. I like Finance but, I really don't need it to be in real estate. I was thinking maybe getting my real estate license instead. 

  • Rental Property Investor · NC · Member since 2018 · 776 posts · 776 votes
    7y

    Stick with it and try to take classes at night. If you're using the GI Bill, it's free and you get housing allowance so it's not for nothing. You can still get your license and work when you aren't in school. You need cash for real estate.

  • Anthony GaydenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Andrew Pettit:

    Hey BP,

             I want your opinion on whether or not I should finish my second degree in finance? I already have a BA in Political Science and a minor in Finance & Business Management. Is this even worth it? 

    In my opinion, no it isn't worth it. 

    You already have a degree (in Political Science, not exactly the most useful area) and now you want to dedicate more of your time getting another degree in an area where you don't even want to work?!?!?!?!

  • Springfield, VA · Member since 2019 · 74 posts · 77 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Andrew Pettit:
    Originally posted by @Matt M.:

    How many more hours and money will it take? What are you planning on doing with the degree?

    Hey Matt,

    It will cost no money, I will use my GI Bill while on active duty. I like Finance but, I really don't need it to be in real estate. I was thinking maybe getting my real estate license instead. 

    Do you have the option of passing on the education benefit to your spouse and kids (even if you don't have them yet)? There were some changes to the policy on this recently.  

  • Andrew PettitPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · RI · Member since 2017 · 100 posts · 19 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Anthony Gayden:
    Originally posted by @Andrew Pettit:

    Hey BP,

             I want your opinion on whether or not I should finish my second degree in finance? I already have a BA in Political Science and a minor in Finance & Business Management. Is this even worth it? 

    In my opinion, no it isn't worth it. 

    You already have a degree (in Political Science, not exactly the most useful area) and now you want to dedicate more of your time getting another degree in an area where you don't even want to work?!?!?!?!

    Haha thanks An

  • Andrew PettitPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · RI · Member since 2017 · 100 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    Thanks, everyone I really appreciate your feedback. I am now looking into getting my Real Estate License in VA.

  • Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @Andrew Pettit cant never have too much knowledge. Go get ur degrees.

  • Waipahu, HI · Member since 2018 · 121 posts · 81 votes
    7y

    @Eugene M. I agree. It is a tough call though since you have the GI Bill.  Even though it would not cost you much money there is still an opportunity cost.  If you are currently making more money by not being in school, at your job or investing, I would consider not going back.  It is difficult to say.  If you are already financial set I would just get the free degree.  Let us know what you decide to do.  

  • Andrew PettitPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · RI · Member since 2017 · 100 posts · 19 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @James Murphey:

    @Eugene M. I agree. It is a tough call though since you have the GI Bill.  Even though it would not cost you much money there is still an opportunity cost.  If you are currently making more money by not being in school, at your job or investing, I would consider not going back.  It is difficult to say.  If you are already financial set I would just get the free degree.  Let us know what you decide to do.  

    Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Andrew Pettit I know several people who studied finance that now make 500k plus a year (25 years after graduating) while living in low cost markets.

    I’d say you did it backwards. You should have studied finance not political science.

  • Springfield, VA · Member since 2019 · 74 posts · 77 votes
    7y

    If you use your GI Bill when you're not on active duty, you can pretty easily get your school and books paid for, plus a nice tax free BAH (E5 w/ dependents rate I believe). Financially that may be a better decision than using it now, especially since you don't know what you want to study. Business and math courses tailored for what you need to succeed will never hurt you. You might even use this as a way to get paid for an internship.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Andrew Pettit getting your real estate license seems like a bad idea to me. Agents make no money at the beginning and you’re not using your degrees.

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    I have a BA in Finance and it is one of my biggest financial regrets. I wasn't passionate about getting a W-2 job that required a finance degree but was just interested in the concepts and didn't know what I wanted to do. I also wanted to be a real estate agent but couldn't risk the uncertainty at that time. I did end up with a good job but I don't use my degree at all. Most companies seem to only care that you have a degree and don't seem put to much value on what it is in.That being said, if you can get it done for free then just nut up and do it. 

  • Andrew PettitPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · RI · Member since 2017 · 100 posts · 19 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @James Murphey:

    @Eugene M. I agree. It is a tough call though since you have the GI Bill.  Even though it would not cost you much money there is still an opportunity cost.  If you are currently making more money by not being in school, at your job or investing, I would consider not going back.  It is difficult to say.  If you are already financial set I would just get the free degree.  Let us know what you decide to do.  

    Hey James, thanks for the feedback. I am an active duty Marine living in Quantico VA and I am done with my BA in Political Science as well as my two minors, in finance and business management. Right now I am thinking of just getting into the real estate industry part-time in VA. I just don't want to waste my time.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    No, two BAs is pointless. Youd be better served getting a masters than having a 2nd ba

  • Bay Area · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @Andrew Pettit

    Hi Andrew,

    Thanks for serving our country. My son Andrew is in the Army as well and going to school will overseas. I would purse your degree since you have time and enjoy finance.

    Enjoy your Day,

    Tonya

  • Rental Property Investor · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 218 posts · 138 votes
    7y

    @Andrew Pettit This topic makes my heart hurt for you. Please don’t make a mistake. You should definitely finish. How many more classes would you need?

    People here on BP don’t have a good idea of the big picture, as far as high paying careers are concerned. As a Caleb H said, you can make lots and lots on money in finance.

    There are hundreds of billions of dollars invested in real estate being managed by finance majors, and none by political science majors. That major won’t get you in the door. Finance would.

    And even if you don’t work in finance, learning as much as you can for free while you’re young is worth the effort.

    If you want to do RE deals, do the finance major and then go work for HFF, JLL, etc. as a broker. So multi million dollar deals. Go read the real estate forums on Wall Street Oasis. Raise your sights higher.

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Poli sci is not a "marketable degree" in my opinion. Finance is so I'd recommend you finish up. Probably could go from a minor to a major in about one semester of full time classes? It'd be worth it even if you don't plan to use it "right now". 

  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Andrew Pettit:

    Hey BP,

             I want your opinion on whether or not I should finish my second degree in finance? I already have a BA in Political Science and a minor in Finance & Business Management. Is this even worth it? 

     If you already have a minor in Finance, why not pursue an MBA?  That's the route I would take.  You can get your real estate license too.  Not sure why this has to be an "if this, not that" scenario, particularly if you've got the GI Bill.  

    You're Washington's total package; Marine, Political Science degree with Finance Minor, soon to be an MBA and future Real Estate mogul.  What office are you going to run for?

  • Andrew PettitPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · RI · Member since 2017 · 100 posts · 19 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Sean McCluskey:

    @Andrew Pettit This topic makes my heart hurt for you. Please don’t make a mistake. You should definitely finish. How many more classes would you need?

    People here on BP don’t have a good idea of the big picture, as far as high paying careers are concerned. As a Caleb H said, you can make lots and lots on money in finance.

    There are hundreds of billions of dollars invested in real estate being managed by finance majors, and none by political science majors. That major won’t get you in the door. Finance would.

    And even if you don’t work in finance, learning as much as you can for free while you’re young is worth the effort.

    If you want to do RE deals, do the finance major and then go work for HFF, JLL, etc. as a broker. So multi million dollar deals. Go read the real estate forums on Wall Street Oasis. Raise your sights higher.

    Thanks Sean I appreciate it. 

  • Andrew PettitPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · RI · Member since 2017 · 100 posts · 19 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Stephanie P.:
    Originally posted by @Andrew Pettit:

    Hey BP,

             I want your opinion on whether or not I should finish my second degree in finance? I already have a BA in Political Science and a minor in Finance & Business Management. Is this even worth it? 

     If you already have a minor in Finance, why not pursue an MBA?  That's the route I would take.  You can get your real estate license too.  Not sure why this has to be an "if this, not that" scenario, particularly if you've got the GI Bill.  

    You're Washington's total package; Marine, Political Science degree with Finance Minor, soon to be an MBA and future Real Estate mogul.  What office are you going to run for?

    Thanks, Stephanie I appreciate it. I got the Political Science major because of the possibility of going to be a congressional aid, this is something I can do while on active duty. Also because I serve in the Executive Branch it is good to know how the government works, but finincae is the most 'marketable' when I retire. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    @Caleb Heimsoth

    I agree he did it backwards . Political science is like gender studies or underwater basket weaving . Completely worthless

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.