Seeking a helper/assistant intern on my next flip in Champaign IL

Seeking a helper/assistant intern on my next flip in Champaign IL

Contractor · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2021 · 82 posts · 35 votes

I'm looking for a friendly person that laughs a lot to work with me on my next flip. Healthy and strong enough to hold things, measure, bang in stuff, and move stuff. Best for a single person with no kids and works part-time or semi-retired already close to Champaign IL so you can be at the house a lot for the time I'm there. If you just help me on the big projects that would be enough for both of us or learn it all. I don't plan on being at the house more than 60 days. I typically can do an entire gut/full remodel in around 45 days +/- depending on how already habitable the house is when I take it over - which I never know because I mostly purchase As-Is no prior to inspection so more fun with all the little expensive gifts I find throughout the process. Oh, and I work Monday-Sunday lots of hours. I still haven't met a contractor better than me, well maybe more experienced and skilled, but flipping is a time/money beast. If you move slow you are just losing money and your own precious time plus more stress until payday - closing. I'm from VA. I'll be sleeping in my van or a room in a sleeping bag with my dog. You are welcome to crash with me for 2 months and party on the weekends. Yes I know. It's gonna be cold. I've got a space heater ;)

As my personal intern I'm not going to talk about a lot of stuff you can obviously read in books and watch on youtube. I'm going to show and teach you hands on and give you access to my living google spreadsheets with REAL numbers. Trust me, I just bought the Bigger Pockets books. 4 of them. I'm already not impressed with the first two I wasted $50 on after being psyched listening to 400 FOUR HUNDRED podcasts while doing a freight carrier business over the road. The podcasts, for what they are, ARE much better time spent listening to all of them then the fluffed books. If you want to get into flipping or the BRRR thing you really need to know your numbers and experience working with ******* contractors to be confident to put the guys in check.

The house you'll be working on with me is a 770 sqft bungalow 1/1 turning into a 2/2. Total remodel. You'll get hands on carpentry, plumbing, electrical, drywall, roofing, decks, painting, trim, kitchen build, installing windows/doors, headers/walls, all the bells and whistles. You'll see real numbers, ALL the numbers, on an active spreadsheet that's super organized and you can keep a copy for yourself too! It computes real ARV, gross, net, the profit you actually keep so you have really great estimates going into any project without regrets later (unless the market crashes hard WATCH OUT, plus no annual additional cost! ;)

About me:

I'm a guy, 41, bought/rented/sold real estate since I was 25. I've owned homes, condos, mobile home park, land lots, and only recently the past 2 years been flipping single family homes. All profitable. I'm ex-Coast Guard, single, and just a dog parent and he goes everywhere with me. I just look for deals regardless where they are at I will go there to make a years worth of a salary. 

Payment for you! Yes possible. If you came everyday and really wanted to learn all the trades to know the contractor process I could offer a GROSS 2% of total closing sales price of home written in contract. Not a lot but it's something. I could just charge YOU 100/hr for my consulting time. So look at it that way. I don't know what that crystal ball will say but I plan on listing it in March 2022 between $79-109k. If you only come on the big projects for a few days here or there it would be no pay and you can help me out where needed and come see the flip whenever you want to just pop in, ask questions, and I'd be willing to go over any deals you are interested in with my spreadsheets you could still keep for free. If you really want to take a BIG leap heres a BIG chance to put you in the front seat of flipping really really ugly houses into beauties. Here are two below I've finished recently.

If you need to know more or want to apply message me and reply to this posting. I also do flips in VA if you are local there.

1607 albany ave, richmond, va 23224 (paid $42k, all expenses $120k, sold $238k)

1432 minefee st, richmond, va 23224 (paid $86k, all expenses $40k, under contract closing for $170k)

0Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Bruce WoodruffPro Member
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
4y

This is a good opportunity for you kids out there that are always asking how to get into this business from the ground floor....

You don't get to learn 'real world' like this too often.

Everyone talks big, let's see who follows through....

PS to Paul - You may be the world's best Contractor, but I've been doing this longer than you've been alive :-)

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Quentin McNewPro Member
    Real Estate Investor · Champaign, IL · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 37 votes
    4y

    @Paul Meyer welcome to Champaign, IL! Have you ever done new construction ground up before? I have potential project for you that might be the biggest bang for your time since you are doing the work on your flips. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    This is a good opportunity for you kids out there that are always asking how to get into this business from the ground floor....

    You don't get to learn 'real world' like this too often.

    Everyone talks big, let's see who follows through....

    PS to Paul - You may be the world's best Contractor, but I've been doing this longer than you've been alive :-)

  • Contractor · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2021 · 82 posts · 35 votes
    4y

    @Quentin McNew I get offered a lot but I really like controlling and owning my own flips but you are welcome to message me what you may have to offer because I'm looking right now for next flip after this one. 

    @Bruce Woodruff I'm not surprised I haven't gotten any replies hahah. You probably have more everything on me. I'm still rather new to this still, just been a landlord and bought and sold different types of properties. I think I'm planning to just rent a motel room off and on for two months it's just TOO COLD after I saw the temperatures unless I can put up plastic inside a room to keep it nice and way for sleep area. I do this all the time but usually just sleep in my van with my dog and then off to work everyday right next door. I like mentoring anyone interested regardless of age or capital restrictions I guess not many really take that leap of faith. It's not for the faint of heart. Having an extra hand putting up 12ft LVL headers would be great though!

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Paul Meyer:

    Having an extra hand putting up 12ft LVL headers would be great though!

    If I were closer, I'd come help ya for free. Hanging LVLs is fun.....(but not by yourself)

  • Contractor · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2021 · 82 posts · 35 votes
    4y

    I agree.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.