Votes
Kobayashi K.
  • Portland
Votes |
Anchorage AK Investment rundown....

Kobayashi K.
  • Portland
Posted Sep 17 2013, 00:10

I'm interested in buying an OO property that will become a rental property in a year or two. I'm 24 and so my initial capital verrry limited (compared to lots of guys here) but you gotta start somewhere right?

So here's my market situation in Anchorage Alaska. $ 284,000 average home and condo value and median gross rent is $1,120. Jobs are here (lucratively in the oil industry and federal spending) with average household income at $72,000 which weathered the housing recession quite well and so RE has been quite flat, not depreciated. Also, vacancy rate in Anchorage is at 3-5%

Its harder to get started with the down payment, especially at these prices, so I'm going for an FHA or State housing loan just to get started for year one, then on to the next property.

Any insight on my number crunching would be very helpful especially because it can't make the 2 % rule... and I like to be on the conservative side

190k 3br 1 bath 2 car garage one half of a duplex. 10 years old typical subdivision that's in a B class neighborhood, which'd be good for young families.

identical unit same neighborhood goes for 1800-1900/mo. tenant pays utilities

10k down payment at 4.5 % APR (maybe can get better), borrowing $180k

P/I =$885

Insurance/tax/Homeowners Insurance = $355

Total monthly cost = $1230

This makes the 50% rule but don't even come close to the 2%, its more like 1%), which is why im a little confused. Would this be a good investment property? any critiques much appreciated. This would be a newer cleaner house and not much of a flipper, and less worry / maintenance as I have a full time job.

While I'm living there I can get a room mate or two for 500-700/mo. In my situation i'm fine with room mates rather than looking to buy a multi-family home, although long term i don't know if that's a better option...

sorry for the long post its my first post!

what do you guys think?

Loading replies...