Building a new home - will valuation meet/exceed building costs?

Building a new home - will valuation meet/exceed building costs?

Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 3 votes

TL;DR: if I build a new house today, can I reasonably expect that it will sell for the same amount I spent (or more) in 4-5 years?

What I'm considering doing:

I'm considering building a small, ~2,000 sq. ft. house for myself, living in it for 4-5 years, and then selling it to upgrade into something much larger.  Since payments on the newly-constructed house would be below my means, I'd have enough extra income to acquire a few rental properties during those 4-5 years.  I'd also be keeping and renting out my current home during all of this.

The lot is a city-owned lot for $8k.  I'd aim to spend $200-300k on construction costs.

The main reason I'm interested in building, versus buying an existing $200-300k house, is that my city offers a decent grant: $25k toward my child's college tuition, as long as I stay in the house for at least four years.  It's the city's incentive for building new homes in neighborhoods that are starting to fall apart (the neighborhood itself is fine/safe).  A free $25k on a ~$250k construction seems like a good return, all other things equal, as I was otherwise planning to buy a house around the same price this year (I need a bit more space; 2,000 square feet is nearly double my current home).

Anyway, my concern is that I'll build the house, go to sell it in 4-5 years, and it'll be worth less than I spent to build it.  Or, at least, less than it should have appreciated to over those 4-5 years.  How likely is that to happen?

    0Reply
    10 views

    2 Replies

    Jump to latestLatest
    • Real Estate Agent · Skagit Valley, WA · Member since 2021 · 256 posts · 283 votes
      4y

      Not likely in my neck of the woods - huge shortage of housing. The question is YOUR neighborhood. Is it more "falling apart" or are there others like yourself, taking advantage of the city's incentives and helping your neighborhood "come together and rebuild" again? 

    • Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 3 votes
      4y
      Originally posted by @Tim Johnson:

      Not likely in my neck of the woods - huge shortage of housing. The question is YOUR neighborhood. Is it more "falling apart" or are there others like yourself, taking advantage of the city's incentives and helping your neighborhood "come together and rebuild" again? 

      We have something of a housing shortage here, too.  In recent years, even pre-2020, I'd frequently hear people complain about how much rent had been increasing.  Right now, the sentiment I'm hearing from people is that it's not only expensive to rent, but extremely difficult to find a vacant place to rent.

      My sentiment is that the city is being revitalized.  There are a handful of large development projects underway.  Mass construction of new condos just outside city limits, some new commercial developments inside, and the city is investing millions into renovating certain downtown attractions.

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.