Best Resources to Educate Yourself Prior to Investing?

Best Resources to Educate Yourself Prior to Investing?

New to Real Estate · Springfield, MO · Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 2 votes

Hey guys! 

I am new to the real estate investing business, and am really interested to learn more about the space. I want to eventually get involved, but currently am in school and just don’t see myself having time or money to do anything as of now. However, I do want to make the most out of my time, and learn as much about investing and real estate as I can right now, so later when I have income I can jump right in. 

Simply put, I am looking for any good books, podcasts, resources, etc. that could help me learn more about real estate investing. 

Thank you!

1Reply
43 views

Most Popular Reply

Insurance Agent · AL · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 16 votes
4y

The BiggerPockets podcasts are two great choices (referring to the original and the "rookie" shows). In case you are unaware, there are some books available here on the site, that can be a great starting point as well.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Insurance Agent · AL · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 16 votes
    4y

    The BiggerPockets podcasts are two great choices (referring to the original and the "rookie" shows). In case you are unaware, there are some books available here on the site, that can be a great starting point as well.

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2021 · 493 posts · 162 votes
    4y

    Congrats on getting started and welcome to the forum. The BP forums are a great way to hear personal stories, lessons learned and differing ways to invest. 

    While not real estate specific "It Takes What It Takes" by Trevor Moawad is a great resource. It discusses the option of neutral thinking and getting to the truth quickly in order to overcome obstacles and progress forward. This space is littered with challenges, obstacles, etc so the ability to think neutrally allows you to overcome and move forward. Best of luck starting out. 

  • Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 10 votes
    4y

    ABC's of Real Estate by Ken McElroy

  • Jerome MorelosPro Member
    Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 205 posts · 88 votes
    4y

    Pretty much all of the books available here on BP are good choices. My favorites were Set for Life by Scott Trench & How to Invest in Real Estate by Brandon turner/Josh Dorkin. Also, I highly recommend checking out 
    "Meet Kevin" on youtube. Watch all of his Real Estate videos, you won't regret it!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 206 posts · 944 votes
    4y

    Hi @Brett George

    In our case, I want to refer Craig Brooksby to the estate's community. You also search The Estates Community and go to YouTube. They're a lot of videos, I think that will help you.

    Good luck

  • New to Real Estate · Springfield, MO · Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @John-Patrick D. Bailey:

    The BiggerPockets podcasts are two great choices (referring to the original and the "rookie" shows). In case you are unaware, there are some books available here on the site, that can be a great starting point as well.


     Thanks for the reply John-Patrick! I will have to check those out for sure!

  • New to Real Estate · Springfield, MO · Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Cameron Braig:

    Congrats on getting started and welcome to the forum. The BP forums are a great way to hear personal stories, lessons learned and differing ways to invest. 

    While not real estate specific "It Takes What It Takes" by Trevor Moawad is a great resource. It discusses the option of neutral thinking and getting to the truth quickly in order to overcome obstacles and progress forward. This space is littered with challenges, obstacles, etc so the ability to think neutrally allows you to overcome and move forward. Best of luck starting out. 


     That will be a resource I will have to check out! I'm sure it will have a lot of helpful info, even if not specific to real estate! Thank you for the reply!

  • New to Real Estate · Springfield, MO · Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @David Ginn:

    Hi @Brett George

    In our case, I want to refer Craig Brooksby to the estate's community. You also search The Estates Community and go to YouTube. They're a lot of videos, I think that will help you.

    Good luck


     Thank you David for the wonderful reply! I will have to check that out! Thanks!

  • Real Estate Agent · TN (tennessee) · Member since 2021 · 21 posts · 19 votes
    4y

    Hi Brett, 

    Awesome to hear about you getting started in this incredible space. I definitely understand the time challenges of being in school. I recommend listing  to the Bigger Pockets Daily podcast. They are very short, usually around 10 minutes. I would listen to these when walking to class or doing some quick task. At first ideas might not make the most scenes, but spending 10 minutes a day means by the year you'll have over 60 hours of knowledge under your belt. That much exposure will surley give you a massive leg up on understanding real estate. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 338 posts · 296 votes
    4y

    As many have mentioned here... the podcasts are great for knowledge/inspiration, but read just about all the books available through the site. The forums and blog posts can also be great resources for getting familiarized with all things REI. Its a process at first, but consistency in learning is going to be your best bet.

  • New to Real Estate · Springfield, MO · Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jack Robinson:

    Hi Brett, 

    Awesome to hear about you getting started in this incredible space. I definitely understand the time challenges of being in school. I recommend listing  to the Bigger Pockets Daily podcast. They are very short, usually around 10 minutes. I would listen to these when walking to class or doing some quick task. At first ideas might not make the most scenes, but spending 10 minutes a day means by the year you'll have over 60 hours of knowledge under your belt. That much exposure will surley give you a massive leg up on understanding real estate. 


    Hey Jack! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I have started listening to the bigger pockets daily podcast, along with the extended version one as well. I am going to continue this to expand my understanding on the subject! Thanks for the great idea!

  • New to Real Estate · Springfield, MO · Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Joshua Noth:

    As many have mentioned here... the podcasts are great for knowledge/inspiration, but read just about all the books available through the site. The forums and blog posts can also be great resources for getting familiarized with all things REI. Its a process at first, but consistency in learning is going to be your best bet.


     Thanks, Joshua! I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my question!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.