FHA Down Payment on Duplex with Co-Borower.

FHA Down Payment on Duplex with Co-Borower.

Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 3 votes

Hello,

I am looking to use an FHA on a duplex and am going to need a co-borrower as I just have 1 year of 1099 income to show. My lender I have been working with says an FHA loan on a Duplex using a co-borrower requires 25% down. Only singles family homes as eligible for 3.5% down with a co-borrower. I have never heard of this and was wondering if anyone has worked around it or can suggest anything.

Thanks

0Reply
15 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 · 112 posts · 59 votes
    4y

    With all do respect to that lender, they are either misinformed or their company doesn't offer the product you need. All 1-4 properties that will be inhabited by the owner can go for 3.5% down with FHA. As far as not having enough job history, by any chance did you recently exit college or the military because if so we can overlook the short job history.

  • Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    @Tsipora Smith hello and thank you for your response. I’m currently in college and will be graduating this May. I’m currently working a 1099 income job and have had a W2 job in the past.

    The plan was for one of my parents to cosign if needed with the short income history.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y

    @Andy Kornacki @Tsipora Smith The lender is Exactly correct....for FHA, when using a non occupying, non family coborrower, the down payment is 25%. Using a Family Member non occupying coborrower, you can still get the 3.5% down fha.

  • Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    @Wayne Brooks Okay, my dad was to one going to cosign. If I understand correctly that would allow the 3.5% down payment on 1-4 unit properties?

  • Member since 2021 · 112 posts · 59 votes
    4y

    @Wayne Brooks You misread my post. I specifically said it would have to be owner occupied to receive 3.5% down. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.