Newbie with Property Under Contract

Newbie with Property Under Contract

Kenyatta DonleyPro Member
Real Estate Agent · PA · Member since 2021 · 46 posts · 37 votes

Hi...I am a fairly new member to the community but have been following the podcasts for a bit. I just wanted to take a second to share that I got my first property under contract. I am based in Philadelphia area and purchased a property in Baltimore. It was through an auction site that is managing a good volume of properties in that area. I took a last minute shot not expecting to win and well...I did. Baltimore is super hot right now and slowly gentrifying like many urban cities. So I am excited. The transaction and communication has been super smooth and we close next month. 

So right now I am just lining up my next steps. I have reached out to get insurance coverage while I rehab and also just reached out to get an inspector into the property to give me a full report of the condition and any concerns. Then from there I hope to start working on a scope of work and find me a good contractor to begin rehab. That's it! 

That's my story. I just wanted to contribute something to the community and hopefully encourage someone who is sitting on the sidelines. I was stuck in analysis paralysis most newbies and one night I just said screw it and submitted a bid. I will say the week before I had also put in an offer to a wholesaler which was pretty aggressive and I didnt expect to be accepted. The point is I made a decision to start taking some at bats and the Universe rewarded me. 

I am still working through my numbers and plans but will keep the community updated!

8Reply
105 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2020 · 255 posts · 182 votes
4y
Quote from @Kenyatta Donley:

Update: so it’s been a couple of months and i am chugging along. As many of you know finding a good contractor is a **** show but i ended up going with a referral after interviewing several.

There are lots of challenges in Baltimore and materials are super expenses but I m committed to completely the project. I also experienced my first break in. Some clown stole about $1000 worth of plumbing supplies. It could have been worst. My site has been robbed. So i guess i m really official now! 

I am using my own cash/credit cards on the project. So i have no loan payments or hard money timelines breathing down my back. However the pressure i m putting on myself Is probably just as bad! 

I m based in the Philly area. So i can get to Baltimore in about 90 minutes. So it’s a distance project but not so far that i can’t put feet on the ground. I actually just met my contractor in person for the first time this week. We have been doing everything electronically and the crew has been working over a month. We exchange lots of texts, email, video and early morning calls from Home Depot. 

So it’s my first project and i am a anxious wreck but all in all things are pushing along. 


 Looks great -- good job!! Definitely consider installing even fake security cameras, they will help to deter unwanted visitors. Baltimore can be tricky but you have the right approach in going all in and not succumbing to analysis paralysis. 

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kenyatta DonleyPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · PA · Member since 2021 · 46 posts · 37 votes
    3y

    Final update….

    So here’s how my rookie first project ended up:

    Purchased shell for $15,000

    Rehab was about $150,000 (during COVID supplies shortage and price surges). No mortgage on the property. I used personal cash and business credit cards. 

    Appraised for $196,000 in January

    Listed as rental for over market based on level

    of rehab. Signed my lease with my tenant for $1750 per month on February 2, 2023.

    Completing a cash out refinance to clear out the high interest business credit. I actually sign tomorrow. 

    It wasn’t pretty but I got it done and definitely proud of the results. 

    My final message is don’t just join biggerpockets for entertainment. Make a promise to get started in 2023. There will be scary moments but you’ll get through and learn from your mistakes. I did!




  • Investor · Member since 2023 · 26 posts · 9 votes
    3y

    Great job @Kenyatta Donley. And thanks for posting the journey out here. 

  • New to Real Estate · Metro Detroit · Member since 2022 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kenyatta Donley:

    Final update….

    So here’s how my rookie first project ended up:

    Purchased shell for $15,000

    Rehab was about $150,000 (during COVID supplies shortage and price surges). No mortgage on the property. I used personal cash and business credit cards. 

    Appraised for $196,000 in January

    Listed as rental for over market based on level

    of rehab. Signed my lease with my tenant for $1750 per month on February 2, 2023.

    Completing a cash out refinance to clear out the high interest business credit. I actually sign tomorrow. 

    It wasn’t pretty but I got it done and definitely proud of the results. 

    My final message is don’t just join biggerpockets for entertainment. Make a promise to get started in 2023. There will be scary moments but you’ll get through and learn from your mistakes. I did!





     Great job. Clearly needed extensive work and Rehab looks great, but man I was not anticipating $150k for a job like that. Hopefully just because it was a shell like you said in which on the other hand you only paid $15k for it. 

  • Kenyatta DonleyPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · PA · Member since 2021 · 46 posts · 37 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ethan Kohler:
    Quote from @Kenyatta Donley:

    Final update….

    So here’s how my rookie first project ended up:

    Purchased shell for $15,000

    Rehab was about $150,000 (during COVID supplies shortage and price surges). No mortgage on the property. I used personal cash and business credit cards. 

    Appraised for $196,000 in January

    Listed as rental for over market based on level

    of rehab. Signed my lease with my tenant for $1750 per month on February 2, 2023.

    Completing a cash out refinance to clear out the high interest business credit. I actually sign tomorrow. 

    It wasn’t pretty but I got it done and definitely proud of the results. 

    My final message is don’t just join biggerpockets for entertainment. Make a promise to get started in 2023. There will be scary moments but you’ll get through and learn from your mistakes. I did!





     Great job. Clearly needed extensive work and Rehab looks great, but man I was not anticipating $150k for a job like that. Hopefully just because it was a shell like you said in which on the other hand you only paid $15k for it. 

    Everyone talks about all of the “cheap” housing in Baltimore. They are but rising. However they do need extensive work. When you buy a shell in Baltimore you are truly buying a shell. I had to run all new plumbing, electrical and HVac. The gas lines had been removed. So i opted to go fully electric in order to save on that expense. Also did I rehab it nicer than I “needed” to….absolute. However it’s paying off in rent that’s that higher than average and has sparked other renovation in the neighborhood. So it’s paying off. My property has become the new standard for the block. 
  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    I would like to congratulate you to the fullest. That was a massive undertaking for a newbie. That is a serious undertaking for mid level investors to run from out of town. It took nutz! So many and probably the majority of newbies would have defaulted. You stayed the course, pushed through, cleared every hurdle and worked it out. 

    All Praises Due! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.