Cannot close the contract due to seller; what happens now?

Cannot close the contract due to seller; what happens now?

Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 53 votes

Hello there,

I've been under contract and originally closing date was 45 days. Unfortunately seller's lien has some issues and this is keep getting delayed. The contract has passed all the contingencies that I've put (inspection + loan). So there's nothing on my side. This property is in FL so I had to put 10% down for earnest money.

The problem here is now, due to mortgage rates increasing, the lock on the offer has been expired. And the lender is charging me per day to keep the interest rate. This is costing me significant money.

My question is, how do I proceed in this case. Can I cancel, if the property cannot be closed by the last addendum date? If so, would I be able to get my earnest money back?

Also if the lender also states that they can no longer extend the loan, would I have any chance for this contract to be cancelled as I don't want to proceed with higher interest rates.

I'm getting opinion here because it's in the lenders/realtors interest to close this property rather than cancel it.

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
4y
if the seller cannot deliver clean title by the closing date 99% of contracts would be voidable at that point .. and you would get your EM back.  and you can move on.  One lesson to learn and it does not always protect you.. however when I go into contract on something that is going to be a cost to close  IE inspections appraisals  surveys  building plans.. I make the title / closing attorney order title day one and get it to me ASAP..  so i can read it and if there is a lien at that point I can see if it looks easy for the seller to clear or there is going to be an issue .. Title companies are famous for waiting till the last minute to order title then you have this issue when this stuff could have been worked on up front..  just a suggestion and maybe its not germane in your case but it sure has saved me over the years wasting time and =money on a property the seller either new had buggered title and thought it would go away or the seller simply did not know and has no means to remedy.
See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    4y
    if the seller cannot deliver clean title by the closing date 99% of contracts would be voidable at that point .. and you would get your EM back.  and you can move on.  One lesson to learn and it does not always protect you.. however when I go into contract on something that is going to be a cost to close  IE inspections appraisals  surveys  building plans.. I make the title / closing attorney order title day one and get it to me ASAP..  so i can read it and if there is a lien at that point I can see if it looks easy for the seller to clear or there is going to be an issue .. Title companies are famous for waiting till the last minute to order title then you have this issue when this stuff could have been worked on up front..  just a suggestion and maybe its not germane in your case but it sure has saved me over the years wasting time and =money on a property the seller either new had buggered title and thought it would go away or the seller simply did not know and has no means to remedy.
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y

    Yes, if the seller can not deliver clear title by the scheduled closing date, the the buyer can cancel as per contract and receive their EM back....or agree to extend. This is all detailed in your contract. Do you know Exactly Why the seller is having a problem? Any rate lock extension costs will be worth it if you can close.

  • Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 53 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Wayne Brooks:

    Yes, if the seller can not deliver clear title by the scheduled closing date, the the buyer can cancel as per contract and receive their EM back....or agree to extend. This is all detailed in your contract. Do you know Exactly Why the seller is having a problem? Any rate lock extension costs will be worth it if you can close.

     The reason is because seller has some privacy and records are not visible on county's systems. So lien company cannot access. Seller has tried removing but throughout the process there's been issues with county and also forms they're filling.

    I ve told my agent initially whether seller can pay for it but my agent thinks seller would just cancel the contract. I believe this is something that seller should have taken care of before even listing the property.

    i am personally down $2-3k for all the appraisal + inspection + survey. I don't want to lose this money but at this point if the seller is unable to remove this privacy thing in a timely way then I'm basically paying a lot of money.

  • Investor · Malakoff, TX · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    I got a great property under contract. The seller ws a crazy old guy who refused to pay off a couple judgements against him when these were discovered by the title company. I could have just gotten my earnest money back, but I sued for specific performance.  It took close to a year, but eventually a judge ordered him to compete the sale and the judgements were paid off from the proceeds of his sale. I'm in TX.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Eric James:

    I got a great property under contract. The seller ws a crazy old guy who refused to pay off a couple judgements against him when these were discovered by the title company. I could have just gotten my earnest money back, but I sued for specific performance.  It took close to a year, but eventually a judge ordered him to compete the sale and the judgements were paid off from the proceeds of his sale. I'm in TX.

     Eric this is a rare event good job.. I have done exactly one specific performance cases here in Oregon.. the issue in my case was my contract called for all cash.. so on the closing day i had to put up significant amount of dough and leave it in escrow and it took probably 18 months but it was worth it in our case.  Plus I had paid the sellers back tax's to the tune of 40k so did not want to walk from that but it was well over 200k in cash sitting there while we went through the motions. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Sarp Ka:
    Originally posted by @Wayne Brooks:

    Yes, if the seller can not deliver clear title by the scheduled closing date, the the buyer can cancel as per contract and receive their EM back....or agree to extend. This is all detailed in your contract. Do you know Exactly Why the seller is having a problem? Any rate lock extension costs will be worth it if you can close.

     The reason is because seller has some privacy and records are not visible on county's systems. So lien company cannot access. Seller has tried removing but throughout the process there's been issues with county and also forms they're filling.

    I ve told my agent initially whether seller can pay for it but my agent thinks seller would just cancel the contract. I believe this is something that seller should have taken care of before even listing the property.

    i am personally down $2-3k for all the appraisal + inspection + survey. I don't want to lose this money but at this point if the seller is unable to remove this privacy thing in a timely way then I'm basically paying a lot of money.

    This sounds fishy to me..  either records are recorded and public or they are not.. and if they are not recorded how is the title company coming up with them.  maybe your not splaining it right

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    4y
    Land records are public. This doesnt sound like an issue with the seller, but rather with the title company.
  • Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 53 votes
    4y

    I have checked it on county's website it's not public. So the title company or lien company isn't really lying.

    The reason why it's hidden is because the owner is some kind of a government officer. Apparently they have this right to keep things off record.

    Anyhow, i don't believe this is something i should be paying. We've already expanded the contract but there's no statement about who is responsible for the loan extras. I'm worried mostly about losing my 10% 

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y

    @Russell Brazil @Jay Hinrichs Florida, at least the property appraiser office, does have an exemption for certain individuals (policemen, judges, etc) that allow the primary residences , at least, to Not show up on property records. I’ve run across this. I’ve never dealt with one, but run across them.

    @Sarp Ka I’ve never dealt with these but there has to be a standard process for title companies to verify liens on such properties. If you want the property, hang in there.  You Will be entitled to your EM back though if they can’t get it done by whatever contract closing date you have.  It’s up to you, and the seller, whether you want to extend the contract.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Wayne Brooks:

    @Russell Brazil @Jay Hinrichs Florida, at least the property appraiser office, does have an exemption for certain individuals (policemen, judges, etc) that allow the primary residences , at least, to Not show up on property records. I’ve run across this. I’ve never dealt with one, but run across them.

    @Sarp Ka I’ve never dealt with these but there has to be a standard process for title companies to verify liens on such properties. If you want the property, hang in there.  You Will be entitled to your EM back though if they can’t get it done by whatever contract closing date you have.  It’s up to you, and the seller, whether you want to extend the contract.

     Wayne that is interesting and I can see that for the safety of those folks given the state of our country these days.

    One thing I ran into in Oregon is senior tax deferral. its not something that shows up on the tax collector rolls you have to call a special number at the county the property is in and talk to someone in the tax to department to see if the property is in senior deferral and if so how much.. I learned this one the hard way .. could not understand why people were not bidding on this house at Trustee sale.. got stung for 40k and from then on my office called on every property we were going to bid on to double check.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Wayne Brooks:

    @Russell Brazil @Jay Hinrichs Florida, at least the property appraiser office, does have an exemption for certain individuals (policemen, judges, etc) that allow the primary residences , at least, to Not show up on property records. I’ve run across this. I’ve never dealt with one, but run across them.

    @Sarp Ka I’ve never dealt with these but there has to be a standard process for title companies to verify liens on such properties. If you want the property, hang in there.  You Will be entitled to your EM back though if they can’t get it done by whatever contract closing date you have.  It’s up to you, and the seller, whether you want to extend the contract.


     Wow, thats so absolutely foreign to me. We know where everyone lives here. Cant find out where a Florida judge lives, but I fan tell you where every Supreme Court Justice lives. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.