Where do I start? Make an offer or find the money first?

Where do I start? Make an offer or find the money first?

Member since 2022 · 33 posts · 6 votes

I'm new to all of this and do not know where to start. I'm afraid to make offers to create deals because I don't know where the money will come from and I can't ask for money because I do not have a deal. What do I do first?

1Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Financial Advisor · San Antonio Texas · Member since 2022 · 100 posts · 53 votes
4y

Brandon, in my first couple of deals I won't be using other people's money. I'm going to make rookie mistakes. I don't want to make it with someone else's money, especially friends or family. In your position, I would read every book I can about business and real estate. I'd continue to listen to the podcasts. I'd pick market in which I want to invest and learn everything about it. While I'm doing all of those things, I'm saving toward my 3.5%-5% down payment required for an FHA loan and moving into my first house hack. Real estate investing is simple once you pick your niche, but it isn't easy and it isn't quick. It takes time to grow.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Financial Advisor · San Antonio Texas · Member since 2022 · 100 posts · 53 votes
    4y

    Brandon, in my first couple of deals I won't be using other people's money. I'm going to make rookie mistakes. I don't want to make it with someone else's money, especially friends or family. In your position, I would read every book I can about business and real estate. I'd continue to listen to the podcasts. I'd pick market in which I want to invest and learn everything about it. While I'm doing all of those things, I'm saving toward my 3.5%-5% down payment required for an FHA loan and moving into my first house hack. Real estate investing is simple once you pick your niche, but it isn't easy and it isn't quick. It takes time to grow.

  • Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2021 · 203 posts · 247 votes
    4y

    Brandon, to begin I am by no means an expert but this is my 2 cents: 


    Start with your own place first. Do a house hack, see how a transaction functions and progresses and what to expect before gun slinging offers. Lenders are going to want your financials and proof of funds before they even pre-approve you. An offer without a pre-approval is like peeing in the wind trying to stay dry. Its unrealistic most times and a waste of time. 

    I would read a sh*t load, eat tuna and PB&J and get a house hack under your belt as soon as possible. It sounds daunting but it really is easier that excepted. I am helping several of my friends(who aren't even 21 yet) get their first properties. It takes frugality but you got it!

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    Make offers and wholesale them if you can’t close 

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    @Brandon Collins

    Reduce expenses

    Save up funds

    Get prequalified

    Find real estate agent

    House Hack

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    4y

    money first always. 

  • New to Real Estate · NY · Member since 2015 · 119 posts · 36 votes
    4y

    @Jay Hinrichs.  Do you offer quotes for first time buyers who aren't investing in NV?  I currently live in NY and am looking at getting my 1st RE investment property out of state and I would prefer to work with a small "bank", as opposed to the big names.  

    Thank you, and look forward to hearing from you. 

    Marc 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Marc S.:

    @Jay Hinrichs.  Do you offer quotes for first time buyers who aren't investing in NV?  I currently live in NY and am looking at getting my 1st RE investment property out of state and I would prefer to work with a small "bank", as opposed to the big names.  

    Thank you, and look forward to hearing from you. 

    Marc 


     thats not the business I am in.. I dont write investor mortgages.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    I'm sure there are new creative and/or sneaky ways to do it, but I'd say you gotta have some of your own money first.

  • Member since 2022 · 33 posts · 6 votes
    4y
    Quote from @William Joel Idleman:

    Brandon, in my first couple of deals I won't be using other people's money. I'm going to make rookie mistakes. I don't want to make it with someone else's money, especially friends or family. In your position, I would read every book I can about business and real estate. I'd continue to listen to the podcasts. I'd pick market in which I want to invest and learn everything about it. While I'm doing all of those things, I'm saving toward my 3.5%-5% down payment required for an FHA loan and moving into my first house hack. Real estate investing is simple once you pick your niche, but it isn't easy and it isn't quick. It takes time to grow.


  • Member since 2022 · 33 posts · 6 votes
    4y
    Quote from @William Joel Idleman:

    Brandon, in my first couple of deals I won't be using other people's money. I'm going to make rookie mistakes. I don't want to make it with someone else's money, especially friends or family. In your position, I would read every book I can about business and real estate. I'd continue to listen to the podcasts. I'd pick market in which I want to invest and learn everything about it. While I'm doing all of those things, I'm saving toward my 3.5%-5% down payment required for an FHA loan and moving into my first house hack. Real estate investing is simple once you pick your niche, but it isn't easy and it isn't quick. It takes time to grow.

    Thank you. I plan on flipping and buying rental properties when I can.
  • Member since 2022 · 33 posts · 6 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Joe Miller:

    Brandon, to begin I am by no means an expert but this is my 2 cents: 


    Start with your own place first. Do a house hack, see how a transaction functions and progresses and what to expect before gun slinging offers. Lenders are going to want your financials and proof of funds before they even pre-approve you. An offer without a pre-approval is like peeing in the wind trying to stay dry. Its unrealistic most times and a waste of time. 

    I would read a sh*t load, eat tuna and PB&J and get a house hack under your belt as soon as possible. It sounds daunting but it really is easier that excepted. I am helping several of my friends(who aren't even 21 yet) get their first properties. It takes frugality but you got it!

    Thank you for your comment. I don’t think I’m at a place in my life where that is necessary for I own a home already and having a wife and 2 daughters under 2 years old, living with strangers is not how I want to start. 
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    What are you looking to do-buy a house to rent or flip?  you need to know how much money you can get first.  If you don't know how much money you can borrow, you don't know what price point to look at.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    if you do not have any money nor experience you are not ready to speak with sellers, do not. Simply connect with someone doing deals, learn. They will pay you a fee for each deal. Save then go on your own. This is exactly how I started 10 years ago. My 1st deal I made 19k in less than a month flipping a contract. Well, that was about 500 deals ago. Now there is nothing in RE I have not done. 


    Good luck  

  • Member since 2022 · 20 posts · 22 votes
    4y

    House hacking is a great way to start. It doesn't mean living with strangers. Have you lived in your house for 2 years? Then you and your family can now move out and rent that house. Move into a new house (your 2nd house) but keep the first and now you are a landlord and a bona fide investor. Every time you move, keep your previous house and you will own several houses over time without risking a lot of money.

    However, to answer your question more directly - money first or deal first - I got my deals first. How else would I know how much money I needed?  

    When wholesaling, I am a member of 2 REIAs and I networked heavily. I knew if I had a good deal the money would come because there were so many investors at the REIAs who were looking for a good deal. I put 2 deals under contract and found investors for both.  

    For my first rental, I put down my earnest money deposit, then focused on finding the money. If I didn't find the money, I would just lose my EMD, which I think was $500. But it wasn't a crazy-expensive property so the chances of me getting a loan were good. I got the loan.


    Hope my experiences help.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.