Do tenants really get their own appliances?

Do tenants really get their own appliances?

Member since 2022 · 19 posts · 10 votes

Hello BP community! Just put a place into contract in the west Cleveland area! Upon doing due diligence, the owner of the house doesn’t own the appliances, they are rented by the tenants. Is this normal for this area? I’ve ever only lived in California or Colorado, and that is certainly not common. thanks for any feedback! 

1Reply
142 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
4y
Quote from @Nicholas Creahan:
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

It sounds like the exact opposite is happening. The tenants are renting the appliances, so if the landlord is charging market rate then he's actually making more money.

this is not typical. Most rentals will include the kitchen appliances. If washer dryer hookups are available, it's probably a 50/50 split as to whether the landlord provides them or the tenant has to bring their own. 

I have heard of the washer and dryer situation before! But not the kitchen appliances. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something, I found it weird. Thank you for your input. The rents are below market value however, so I am sure he is missing out on some revenue.  

 Very common in the Cleveland area for the tenants to supply their own appliances.

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    4y

    Well talking about tenants renting them vs just owning them or buying them on store credit is just semantics. I don't know about "renting the appliances" but yes it's common for tenants to supply their own appliances in the Cleveland area. Whether they own them outright or buy them from one of those stores where you can rent to own or whatever that they have in low income neighborhood is fairly irrelevant to you, the landlord. Case in point, yes it's common for tenants to supply appliances.

  • Dean HarrisBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    In Memphis, depending on the price range of the rental, I will provide a stove and a dishwasher and the tenant provides the other appliances. 

    CrestCore Realty4.713 Reviews
    View Page
  • Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    This is a common option for laundry appliances in Charleston- at least in large multi-family/apartment properties with a maintenance employee (who can install, remove, and transfer large appliances to and from units). For example, a tenant can rent washer/dryer for $40/mo or they can provide their own. But kitchen appliances? Really? I can't imagine asking someone to rent the dishwasher or refrigerator!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.