Should I build my first investment home now?

Should I build my first investment home now?

Member since 2022 · 52 posts · 10 votes

Hello,

So I want to build my first investment property , but I don't know if it's a good time to build.  I will be living in it and renting out the two other rooms.  It will be a 3 bed/2 bath, 1,500 square feet (living area) in Texas.  What are y'alls' thoughts?  How much is wood/supplies right now?  Any developers out there?

Thanks in advance.

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

V.G JasonPro Member
Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Justin Brickman:

I would look to purchase a new build or something already constructed. Builders are offering heavy discounts because of the extra inventory


 Builders are just looking to dump. I'm getting looks in Austin daily, I just have no needs. I think I was on some list from years ago, not sure how to get off, but I get asked way too often. I pass the leads, have gotten a few of my friends to buy some and at huge discounts. Lots of new constructions in Dallas, Austin, Raleigh, even Phoenix , you're in FW, you can definitely get someone to dump.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Justin BrickmanBusiness Member
    Realtor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2021 · 502 posts · 274 votes
    3y

    I would look to purchase a new build or something already constructed. Builders are offering heavy discounts because of the extra inventory

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Justin Brickman:

    I would look to purchase a new build or something already constructed. Builders are offering heavy discounts because of the extra inventory


     Builders are just looking to dump. I'm getting looks in Austin daily, I just have no needs. I think I was on some list from years ago, not sure how to get off, but I get asked way too often. I pass the leads, have gotten a few of my friends to buy some and at huge discounts. Lots of new constructions in Dallas, Austin, Raleigh, even Phoenix , you're in FW, you can definitely get someone to dump.

  • Member since 2022 · 52 posts · 10 votes
    3y

    Well a family member of mine is a developer and wants to build me my first home at cost.  I worry too much about interest rate as i'll be financing it.  What are y'alls thoughts on that?

  • Jewel B.Pro Member
    New to Real Estate · Lehigh Valley, PA · Member since 2021 · 352 posts · 120 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Blanca Munoz:

    Well a family member of mine is a developer and wants to build me my first home at cost.  I worry too much about interest rate as i'll be financing it.  What are y'alls thoughts on that?


     People got spoiled on the super low interest rates. Interest rates now are pretty average historically, even slightly lower. You can always refinance later. If the numbers work, they work. Don't obsess to much over interest rates. You can also negotiate lower purchase price.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Blanca Munoz:

    It's normally much cheaper to buy something existing and fix it up, but if the builder is doing it for cost of materials then I would accept the offer.


    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Contractor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Blanca Munoz:

    Well a family member of mine is a developer and wants to build me my first home at cost.  I worry too much about interest rate as i'll be financing it.  What are y'alls thoughts on that?

    That family member must really love you. It is a LOT of work and takes a LOT of time to build a house, even for an experienced developer who has a team in place. Although part of why he/she might be offering this is because they want to keep their workers busy.

    It's a fine time to build right now. Prices of everything are starting to tick down a bit (but mainly lumber and labor). And with a brand new home you will have less repairs, maintenance, and cap ex to worry about in the short term.

    I agree with @Nathan Gesner ... You should go for it as long as the numbers make sense.

  • Manny VasquezBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Orange County · Member since 2022 · 317 posts · 293 votes
    3y

    If you want to start with your investment property NOW, then buy from a home-builder.  Right now, they are providing all kinds of incentives like upgrades to flooring, upgrades to your kitchen/master bedroom/landscaping and they are also paying for closing costs and/or interest rate buy-downs.  Builders know that we are in a declining market and they need to sell now.  With the right conversation (and a desperate builder) you may be able to get a combination of upgrades, closings costs and favorable interest rates.

    Building your own investment property will take about 3-4 months, in the absolute best circumstances.  More than likely, I would "double" that estimated time, just in case.  If you start building now, you are very likely to see the finishing of that new-build around May/June time frame.  It is monumental work that needs to be done and if your family member is going to be doing all of the work.....obtaining architectural/engineering drawings, submitting them to the city/county, obtaining permits, working with the inspectors.....or if you have to chase everything down, just keep in mind that it all takes time and someone has to do it.

    Or you can try a hybrid of the above two scenarios.....buy a "lived-in" property and have your family member remodel it to your liking.  More than likely, this will be faster than building an entire property and you also customize your home to your liking.  At the time of purchase, you can also negotiate with the seller to possibly pay closing costs, repair some items, etc.

    Good luck!

  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Blanca Munoz - good luck with your new project! 

    Here's other things that might work for you to get a clearer estimate on costs: 

    - attend a local real estate event and ask people for introductions to builders/contractors. They will be better able to give you an idea of the current landscape in regards to costs, market, etc. 

    - visit your nearest Home Depot, ask them what the price for materials is. Let them know you're planning on building a house, and they'll be able to give you more insight as they work with a lot of contractors that come in the early morning before heading to their job sites. 

    Good luck.

  • Rental Property Investor · Oregon City, OR · Member since 2020 · 324 posts · 780 votes
    3y

    If it makes dollars, it makes sense. If the numbers work it's always a good time to buy. 

  • Member since 2022 · 52 posts · 10 votes
    3y
    Quote from @V.G Jason:
    Quote from @Justin Brickman:

    I would look to purchase a new build or something already constructed. Builders are offering heavy discounts because of the extra inventory


     Builders are just looking to dump. I'm getting looks in Austin daily, I just have no needs. I think I was on some list from years ago, not sure how to get off, but I get asked way too often. I pass the leads, have gotten a few of my friends to buy some and at huge discounts. Lots of new constructions in Dallas, Austin, Raleigh, even Phoenix , you're in FW, you can definitely get someone to dump.


     What does dump mean?  I'm new to this.

  • Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Blanca Munoz:
    Quote from @V.G Jason:
    Quote from @Justin Brickman:

    I would look to purchase a new build or something already constructed. Builders are offering heavy discounts because of the extra inventory


     Builders are just looking to dump. I'm getting looks in Austin daily, I just have no needs. I think I was on some list from years ago, not sure how to get off, but I get asked way too often. I pass the leads, have gotten a few of my friends to buy some and at huge discounts. Lots of new constructions in Dallas, Austin, Raleigh, even Phoenix , you're in FW, you can definitely get someone to dump.


     What does dump mean?  I'm new to this.


     It’s a slang word to sell quick at a discount.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.