STR vs. Airbnb

STR vs. Airbnb

Rental Property Investor 路 Member since 2022 路 5 posts 路 2 votes

I am starting out in the STR business. As I am assessing properties I have become curious what the pros and cons of STRs are compared to Airbnb.

I would appreciate any info one way or the other. Thank you!

0Reply
54 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender 路 92703 路 Member since 2022 路 326 posts 路 538 votes
3y

Its easy to be confused with the terminology when fist starting out and learning about Real estate investing. Theres so many acronyms in this space and lingo that is easy to get some of the confused. Like some people said above STR is for Short Term Rental and Airbnb is a platform people use to list their short term rentals. I dont have a short term rental myself but depending on what area you plan to do this Short term rental you have to do your research as some cities dont allow for STR or have many restrictions. If you decide to manage it your self it can become a full time job. Hope this helps.

@Albert Bui @Matthew Kwan

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jeff CopelandBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker 路 Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, FL 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    3y

    Airbnb is simply a platform for listing short term rentals. Everything on Airbnb is a short term rental. 

    I don't understand the question.

    Copeland Morgan LLC4.770 Reviews
  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker 路 Member since 2016 路 4k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Keeley Harbin:

    I am starting out in the STR business. As I am assessing properties I have become curious what the pros and cons of STRs are compared to Airbnb.

    I would appreciate any info one way or the other. Thank you!


     Air BnB and VRBO and others are ways for you to market your rentals.  

    The pros and cons of short term rentals vs long term rentals, to me, would be...

    pros for short term rentals

    More money for short term rentals, but inherently more risk.  More work because of turnover, but again, more ability to earn more money

    Air BnB and VRBO are pretty good at helping you screen applicants.

    cons

    You'll need a property management company that knows how to deal with short term rentals.  Turnover is costly, especially if you have to do it yourself.  

    One or two bad reviews and you're essentially out of business.

    Pros of long term rental.  Money every month.  Less money than short term rentals, but significantly less work (unless you're doing something wrong or your property is a mess)

    Hope that addresses your concern

    Stephanie

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Fort Collins, CO 路 Member since 2023 路 171 posts 路 116 votes
    3y

    Hey @Keeley Harbin,

    also consider a MTR, with these your looking at Travel Nurses and Insurance Contracts (temp housing). I was at a meetup in Denver where Zeona McIntyre was the guest speaker and she had some really great info about how to implement that strategies and everything in between. she also has a book with bigger pockets called the 30-Day Stay if you want to learn more. hope that helps and best of luck 馃馃崁

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Austin, TX 路 Member since 2020 路 28 posts 路 12 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ryan Lesley:

    Hey @Keeley Harbin,

    also consider a MTR, with these your looking at Travel Nurses and Insurance Contracts (temp housing). I was at a meetup in Denver where Zeona McIntyre was the guest speaker and she had some really great info about how to implement that strategies and everything in between. she also has a book with bigger pockets called the 30-Day Stay if you want to learn more. hope that helps and best of luck 馃馃崁


     It's a great book, I learned a lot from it! Now just looking for partners to work with to apply that strategy

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager 路 Royal Oak, MI 路 Member since 2012 路 12k+ posts 路 9k+ votes
    3y

    Oh boy, do you have a lot to learn!

    Keep posting questions and READ other posts and some of the books available on this site:)

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Emerald Coast, FL 路 Member since 2016 路 820 posts 路 486 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Keeley Harbin:

    I am starting out in the STR business. As I am assessing properties I have become curious what the pros and cons of STRs are compared to Airbnb.

    I would appreciate any info one way or the other. Thank you!


     "Airbnb" has become like "Kleenex" - a brand name that everyone uses to refer to a generic category (short-term rentals or tissue).


    STRs are a TYPE of property use.  Airbnb and VRBO are the platforms people use to list and book them.

  • Investor 路 Austin, TX 路 Member since 2021 路 9k+ posts 路 5k+ votes
    3y

    Same difference. 

  • Member since 2019 路 7k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Keeley Harbin:

    I am starting out in the STR business. As I am assessing properties I have become curious what the pros and cons of STRs are compared to Airbnb.

    I would appreciate any info one way or the other. Thank you!


     Your question should be the following :

    Is there such a thing as STR before Airbnb exists? :)

  • Residential Real Estate Broker 路 Sedona, AZ 路 Member since 2017 路 751 posts 路 504 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Keeley Harbin:

    I am starting out in the STR business. As I am assessing properties I have become curious what the pros and cons of STRs are compared to Airbnb.

    I would appreciate any info one way or the other. Thank you!

    And FYI- Honestly, don't feel embarrassed. SO many people here on BP continue to to misspeak and say they want to buy an airbnb- or they own one. It's 100% understandable why you would think it's an investment category.

    The confusion of airbnb VS STR is somewhat comparable to the LTR VS STR VS MTR conversation (Which is actually a STR VS LTR conversation).
  • Lender 路 92703 路 Member since 2022 路 326 posts 路 538 votes
    3y

    Its easy to be confused with the terminology when fist starting out and learning about Real estate investing. Theres so many acronyms in this space and lingo that is easy to get some of the confused. Like some people said above STR is for Short Term Rental and Airbnb is a platform people use to list their short term rentals. I dont have a short term rental myself but depending on what area you plan to do this Short term rental you have to do your research as some cities dont allow for STR or have many restrictions. If you decide to manage it your self it can become a full time job. Hope this helps.

    @Albert Bui @Matthew Kwan

  • Member since 2023 路 16 posts 路 11 votes
    3y

    Hi Keeley,

    STR and Airbnb is a same concept because Airbnb do short term .

    Maybe you want to ask comparison between short term and long term.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.