Current newbie trends on BP!!

Current newbie trends on BP!!

Investor 路 Fort Washington, MD 路 Member since 2014 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes

Maybe it's me but I'm just curious if anyone has noticed that some of the newbies seeking knowledge appear to be less serious than before. When I first started coming here people seemed hungry. They were researched, had boots on the ground and were ready to kick *** and take names over the long haul. Now, more and more I see stuff like: "I'm new to real estate, have no money or credit and I want 2 million cash flow multi family this year, what do I do?". They do zero research and don't even care to dig up basic information. I don't entertain them that much anymore but some do. In many cases the person never even returns to see the responses. Those that do, they vanish shortly after. I love trying to assist young investors because I didn't have much of that coming up, but where are the serious people who aren't looking for a get rich quick STR in 5 days? This is my passion and I have to admit it gets under my skin when people waste other's time or approach this like a joke. It's not a game. Thanks for letting me vent. LOL

12Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent 路 Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2020 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
3y

@Mark Cruse, newer investors don't know what they don't know. Everyone wants immediate gratification these days. Honestly, I somewhat blame the YouTube/TikTok finance space and some of BP's newer podcast episodes which can have titles that are a little clickbait, "The 3 Steps to Go From Broke to Millionaire in 2023", "This Tropical Airbnb makes $150k/Year", "$1M/Year with 9 Rental Properties". These aren't exactly videos that newer investors should be watching/listening to. To be blunt, I pretty much stopped watching when Brandon Turner left. I advise newer investors to start with older episodes for the practical aspects but to understand the fact that market conditions have changed. Moreover, as odd as it sounds, there is TOO MUCH information out there. Newer investors can easily get overwhelmed, ultimately leading to analysis paralysis and a lack of taking action. There's my vent haha. Curious to hear others' thoughts. 

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent 路 Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2020 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Mark Cruse, newer investors don't know what they don't know. Everyone wants immediate gratification these days. Honestly, I somewhat blame the YouTube/TikTok finance space and some of BP's newer podcast episodes which can have titles that are a little clickbait, "The 3 Steps to Go From Broke to Millionaire in 2023", "This Tropical Airbnb makes $150k/Year", "$1M/Year with 9 Rental Properties". These aren't exactly videos that newer investors should be watching/listening to. To be blunt, I pretty much stopped watching when Brandon Turner left. I advise newer investors to start with older episodes for the practical aspects but to understand the fact that market conditions have changed. Moreover, as odd as it sounds, there is TOO MUCH information out there. Newer investors can easily get overwhelmed, ultimately leading to analysis paralysis and a lack of taking action. There's my vent haha. Curious to hear others' thoughts. 

  • Contractor 路 Scottsdale, AZ 路 Member since 2010 路 2k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    3y

    I'm on biggerpockets helping people out every day, and I can say with confidence that nobody has started a thread anytime recently saying "I'm new to real estate, have no money or credit and I want 2 million cash flow multi family this year, what do I do?"

    For every person you see posting a thread with a question that doesn't meet your expectations or that you think is repetitive, there are probably a dozen other people who visited the site, used the search function, found the answer to their question, and never posted a thread.

    Forums are a never ending stream of interaction between like-minded people. That's what makes forums awesome.

    I say keep the newbie posts coming. Lets help as many people as we can.

  • Investor 路 Fort Washington, MD 路 Member since 2014 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Michael Dumler wow, my last podcast I listened to was years ago. If that is happening I can see why it attracts that mentality. I always speak on the youtube and HGTV aspect. I concur; its just too much info already and some insinuation by some that it's a get rich quick gig. It's unfortunate because I really enjoy and take pride in assisting the newbies that are really on that grind and hunt. 

    @Scott E. Not sure what point you are making with some insinuation that I'm making something up. That's illogical. I did not say they said these things verbatim. There are dozens of threads with a similar tone. It's called a euphemism. In addition, I didn't think I had to simplistically spell this out but I wasnt taking about all newbies. It may not be most but there is a clear shift in general.  I am a senior investor who has been in the game and on Bigger Pockets for a very long time. I have clearly, without question seen a shift in the way newbies seek information here and many others  (who have been around awhile) can substantiate it. Has nothing to do with meeting my expectations. If this is not your personal experience and you are ecstatic /enthusiastic about the current climate then proceed in any way that makes you happy. This has noting to do with you. Again, I'm a senior investor and a professional so there is no intelligent reason I would come here wasting time to invent fabrications. This seems kind of personal to you but oh well! 

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Columbus, OH 路 Member since 2016 路 593 posts 路 664 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:

    Maybe it's me but I'm just curious if anyone has noticed that some of the newbies seeking knowledge appear to be less serious than before. When I first started coming here people seemed hungry. They were researched, had boots on the ground and were ready to kick *** and take names over the long haul. Now, more and more I see stuff like: "I'm new to real estate, have no money or credit and I want 2 million cash flow multi family this year, what do I do?". They do zero research and don't even care to dig up basic information. I don't entertain them that much anymore but some do. In many cases the person never even returns to see the responses. Those that do, they vanish shortly after. I love trying to assist young investors because I didn't have much of that coming up, but where are the serious people who aren't looking for a get rich quick STR in 5 days? This is my passion and I have to admit it gets under my skin when people waste other's time or approach this like a joke. It's not a game. Thanks for letting me vent. LOL


     I wouldn't disagree with you here. My thoughts are that they were the same newbies all along, only difference now is the cost of money! Newbies before would want to house hack and they could very possibly live for free with little to money down (speaking locally to Columbus OH). Now that's just not the case. I think it's still good to offset your living cost but not as sweet of deal for the guys fresh out the gate

  • Contractor 路 Scottsdale, AZ 路 Member since 2010 路 2k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:

    @Michael Dumler wow, my last podcast I listened to was years ago. If that is happening I can see why it attracts that mentality. I always speak on the youtube and HGTV aspect. I concur; its just too much info already and some insinuation by some that it's a get rich quick gig. It's unfortunate because I really enjoy and take pride in assisting the newbies that are really on that grind and hunt. 

    @Scott E. Not sure what point you are making with some insinuation that I'm making something up. That's illogical. I did not say they said these things verbatim. There are dozens of threads with a similar tone. It's called a euphemism. In addition, I didn't think I had to simplistically spell this out but I wasnt taking about all newbies. It may not be most but there is a clear shift in general.  I am a senior investor who has been in the game and on Bigger Pockets for a very long time. I have clearly, without question seen a shift in the way newbies seek information here and many others  (who have been around awhile) can substantiate it. Has nothing to do with meeting my expectations. If this is not your personal experience and you are ecstatic /enthusiastic about the current climate then proceed in any way that makes you happy. This has noting to do with you. Again, I'm a senior investor and a professional so there is no intelligent reason I would come here wasting time to invent fabrications. This seems kind of personal to you but oh well! 


    Not taking anything personal. But I do really enjoy and appreciate this forum. I gained nearly all of my early education from BiggerPockets when I got started in 2010. And so maybe I am a bit defensive when I see somebody indirectly bashing the people who come here for help.

    (Also I didn't insinuate you made something up. You did make something up. Read your original post and where you used quotations. I'm not trying to be some grammatical police but since you came back so defensive I need to clarify the tone of my last reply. From Google for clear clarification: Quotation marks are most often used to mark something that is spoken or, in other words, to designate a direct quote. That is, they display something that's been said, word for word)

    Didn't expect you to be so offended by my response. I was only trying to defend the forum and the people who come here asking for help. I suppose we don't see eye to eye on the purpose of an online forum, and that's ok. No hard feelings.

  • Investor 路 Fort Washington, MD 路 Member since 2014 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Austin Steed Very good observation. That seems like a major contributor. Yes, when you think of it people could go a lot further in the day. Still it seems more like a quick rich quick mentality for too many. Some don't want to dig or research and disappear as though it was some playful kind of game. I get you though, its multiple facets to it. Thanks! 

    @Scott E. I'm not here to debate or go back and forth to convince you of anything. I posted my rant and that is what it is. Apparently others have noticed as well. With your quotations comments it appears you are more of an internet troll and are not actually serious about the topic at hand. Please dont preach about bashing newbies because there countless I have and am helping currently. Many can vouch for that. 

    No need to continue with you because like I said I sincerely doubt you actually care about this serious topic. However, if you do (which i still doubt) you take on the ones that post up BS, never return, never accept advice and disappear into the wind after 3 days. Not worth my time. 

    Have a good day.................

  • Contractor 路 Scottsdale, AZ 路 Member since 2010 路 2k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:

    @Austin Steed Very good observation. That seems like a major contributor. Yes, when you think of it people could go a lot further in the day. Still it seems more like a quick rich quick mentality for too many. Some don't want to dig or research and disappear as though it was some playful kind of game. I get you though, its multiple facets to it. Thanks! 

    @Scott E. I'm not here to debate or go back and forth to convince you of anything. I posted my rant and that is what it is. Apparently others have noticed as well. With your quotations comments it appears you are more of an internet troll and are not actually serious about the topic at hand. Please dont preach about bashing newbies because there countless I have and am helping currently. Many can vouch for that. 

    No need to continue with you because like I said I sincerely doubt you actually care about this serious topic. However, if you do (which i still doubt) you take on the ones that post up BS, never return, never accept advice and disappear into the wind after 3 days. Not worth my time. 

    Have a good day.................


    Now we are resorting to name calling? I thought you were a professional.

    I'm all for productive discussion. It helps me to learn and grow as a person. We agree to disagree. And as I already said, no hard feelings.

  • Virtual Assistant 路 Member since 2023 路 2 posts 路 3 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Dumler:

    @Mark Cruse, newer investors don't know what they don't know. Everyone wants immediate gratification these days. Honestly, I somewhat blame the YouTube/TikTok finance space and some of BP's newer podcast episodes which can have titles that are a little clickbait, "The 3 Steps to Go From Broke to Millionaire in 2023", "This Tropical Airbnb makes $150k/Year", "$1M/Year with 9 Rental Properties". These aren't exactly videos that newer investors should be watching/listening to. To be blunt, I pretty much stopped watching when Brandon Turner left. I advise newer investors to start with older episodes for the practical aspects but to understand the fact that market conditions have changed. Moreover, as odd as it sounds, there is TOO MUCH information out there. Newer investors can easily get overwhelmed, ultimately leading to analysis paralysis and a lack of taking action. There's my vent haha. Curious to hear others' thoughts. 

    @Michael Dumler

     Thank you Michael for saying this. As a newbie i feel like im not learning anything despite the overwhelming amount of Information available. With so much information available, it becomes challenging to filter through it and find the right resources. I be spending more time searching for information than actually learning.

    Trying to learn too many things at once or have no clear direction, it can be difficult to make progress. 
    Simply reading or watching information is not enough to retain it. Active learning, such as taking notes, or explaining concepts to someone else with experience would help.

    I am a person that learns by doing. It can be easy to fall into the trap of just consuming information without putting it into practice. I would like to apply what I've learned and get feedback on my progress.

    Also im impatience 馃檪 its hard to remember learning takes time. Mostly because of social media and its clickbait. Not seeing progress as quickly as 5 days is frustrating but, I am trusting the process.  

    im also looking for a mentor or someone with experience to shadow but that is not easy either. 

  • Investor 路 Fort Washington, MD 路 Member since 2014 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Durjan Aponte:
    Quote from @Michael Dumler:

    @Mark Cruse, newer investors don't know what they don't know. Everyone wants immediate gratification these days. Honestly, I somewhat blame the YouTube/TikTok finance space and some of BP's newer podcast episodes which can have titles that are a little clickbait, "The 3 Steps to Go From Broke to Millionaire in 2023", "This Tropical Airbnb makes $150k/Year", "$1M/Year with 9 Rental Properties". These aren't exactly videos that newer investors should be watching/listening to. To be blunt, I pretty much stopped watching when Brandon Turner left. I advise newer investors to start with older episodes for the practical aspects but to understand the fact that market conditions have changed. Moreover, as odd as it sounds, there is TOO MUCH information out there. Newer investors can easily get overwhelmed, ultimately leading to analysis paralysis and a lack of taking action. There's my vent haha. Curious to hear others' thoughts. 

    @Michael Dumler

     Thank you Michael for saying this. As a newbie i feel like im not learning anything despite the overwhelming amount of Information available. With so much information available, it becomes challenging to filter through it and find the right resources. I be spending more time searching for information than actually learning.

    Trying to learn too many things at once or have no clear direction, it can be difficult to make progress. 
    Simply reading or watching information is not enough to retain it. Active learning, such as taking notes, or explaining concepts to someone else with experience would help.

    I am a person that learns by doing. It can be easy to fall into the trap of just consuming information without putting it into practice. I would like to apply what I've learned and get feedback on my progress.

    Also im impatience 馃檪 its hard to remember learning takes time. Mostly because of social media and its clickbait. Not seeing progress as quickly as 5 days is frustrating but, I am trusting the process.  

    im also looking for a mentor or someone with experience to shadow but that is not easy either. 


     Congratulations for starting the process. Yes, I understand how it can be information overload. It was the complete opposite when I came up; it was hard to find anything. LOL. For real though, there are many variations of the business and you can narrow it down. First evaluate what you can see yourself doing in regards to being a landlord, wholesaler, flipper or maybe real estate agent. Once you determine that we can drill down further and figure out how to get you there. I'm always here for questions to anyone serious and dedicated. One thing I must express is  this is nowhere near  getting rich quick. I understand the frustration these days of things not happening quick but in this game there  are people who cant achieve results in 5 years as opposed to 5 days. Its not bitcoin, lotto or amway.  I actually know a women who started in a well known group 10 years ago and she still has not in executed a deal. However, with the proper grind you can make it happen in reasonable time. It's a long process and takes time to build. If this is for you there are plenty here willing to augment your journey. 

  • Member since 2023 路 16 posts 路 13 votes
    3y

    I found the post comical but spot on, but the few days I've been here have seen a lot of that.

    But that's entirely how I got caught up in the process.  I recently went to Maui for vacation and started doing the math at how much of this condo's mortgage I'm paying.  Thought - I've got to get into the action.  LOL Started trying to find something there and got sticker shock.  That wasn't realistic.  BP has tempered my expectations a lot.  I've got a lot to learn and a long way to go, but the desire is there.  Sometimes it's so overwhelming I just want to take the funds and find a syndication to get into (that's a whole different level of effort.) 

     I'm in the exact same place as Durjan in trying to find a starting point and I'm all over the place.  My bigger issue is the SO and getting her comfortable.  She's always been risk adverse and she strictly wants to invest in our area.  Houses here go for way more than I want to take on and are typically priced out of the rent range in order to cash flow.  I'd like to do other areas but she's resistant for now.  

    While BP is a great resource, I completely agree w/ the comment above that some of it's clickbait, especially the podcasts (I listened to that exact podcast during this morning's workout).  I've had to go back to the older days to find more practical advice.

    Ultimately, I understand people's reluctance to help noobs especially if they don't have the right mentality - it's hard to gauge that over a forum and 1 wrong question.  

  • Investor 路 Fort Washington, MD 路 Member since 2014 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Damon Kellar:

    I found the post comical but spot on, but the few days I've been here have seen a lot of that.

    But that's entirely how I got caught up in the process.  I recently went to Maui for vacation and started doing the math at how much of this condo's mortgage I'm paying.  Thought - I've got to get into the action.  LOL Started trying to find something there and got sticker shock.  That wasn't realistic.  BP has tempered my expectations a lot.  I've got a lot to learn and a long way to go, but the desire is there.  Sometimes it's so overwhelming I just want to take the funds and find a syndication to get into (that's a whole different level of effort.) 

     I'm in the exact same place as Durjan in trying to find a starting point and I'm all over the place.  My bigger issue is the SO and getting her comfortable.  She's always been risk adverse and she strictly wants to invest in our area.  Houses here go for way more than I want to take on and are typically priced out of the rent range in order to cash flow.  I'd like to do other areas but she's resistant for now.  

    While BP is a great resource, I completely agree w/ the comment above that some of it's clickbait, especially the podcasts (I listened to that exact podcast during this morning's workout).  I've had to go back to the older days to find more practical advice.

    Ultimately, I understand people's reluctance to help noobs especially if they don't have the right mentality - it's hard to gauge that over a forum and 1 wrong question.  


     The best advice would be to either get a credible mentor or someone on here who you feel is credible/helpful. Then find your direction and focus on the topics which relate to that. You can keep reading up on that topic, do podcasts and run it by the mentor you trust. As long as you keep in mind its not get rich quick its doable. Its also very complicated and you need a certain mentality. Your wife has decent instincts in trying to keep things close when starting out but it depends. On another note you should be selective in who you take advice from even in here. Feel comfortable with them and verify they know what the hell they are talking about.  The wealth is there! Best of luck! 

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Washington DC 路 Member since 2016 路 847 posts 路 654 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:

    Maybe it's me but I'm just curious if anyone has noticed that some of the newbies seeking knowledge appear to be less serious than before. When I first started coming here people seemed hungry. They were researched, had boots on the ground and were ready to kick *** and take names over the long haul. Now, more and more I see stuff like: "I'm new to real estate, have no money or credit and I want 2 million cash flow multi family this year, what do I do?". They do zero research and don't even care to dig up basic information. I don't entertain them that much anymore but some do. In many cases the person never even returns to see the responses. Those that do, they vanish shortly after. I love trying to assist young investors because I didn't have much of that coming up, but where are the serious people who aren't looking for a get rich quick STR in 5 days? This is my passion and I have to admit it gets under my skin when people waste other's time or approach this like a joke. It's not a game. Thanks for letting me vent. LOL


     100% I think some of that is just the rise of internet guru鈥檚 repackaging the same stuff you鈥檇 get at the back of Sheraton hotel a decade ago, I think bp has some blame too for overhyping how easy being an investor is, the market being white hot for a few years made everyone think they were a genius as well, but definitely a much different site pre and post pandemic.

  • Realtor 路 Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, TX 路 Member since 2016 路 1k+ posts 路 925 votes
    3y

    @Mark Cruse nope, it's been like that for ages. (in my experience)

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Columbus, OH 路 Member since 2016 路 593 posts 路 664 votes
    3y

    @Scott E.

    I don鈥檛 think the point is discouraging any newbie, but rather that we all should know Real Estate is step by step long term play.

    Like you I鈥檝e been on the forms since 2014 and have really grown my career from this!

    All hail BP

  • Investor 路 Fort Washington, MD 路 Member since 2014 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Lucia Rushton I concur that there has always been non-serious people around and many of them were shaken out during the 08 crash. Still, they hover here and there but you really havent seen more instances of this in BP now? People seemed to be way more prepared and were consistent in the past. They didnt ask one question, requesting all this basic information  then never return to the site. They were not looking for some get rich, easy side hustle requesting people here do all their research. Not all, but most seemed more hungry and already had substantial grounding on what was needed. They had more pointed and precise questions!  

    @Austin Steed you hit the nail on the head. Most here do not want to discourage anyone and honestly enjoy boosting others. They just need to understand this is not an MLM gig that's going to get them a Tesla next month. I'm glad I made this  thread because I see why it's occurring much more than it did before. I can see how podcasts and gurus selling dreams create a mindsets of instant gratification. Man, a lot of younger people went berserk over crypto. LOL

  • Rental Property Investor 路 East Wenatchee, WA 路 Member since 2014 路 10k+ posts 路 16k+ votes
    3y

    @Mark Cruse I hear you.   

    I respond at a much lower rate these days. A few times a week.

    I get that new people have questions, but it's the disappearing that gets me.

    If they haven't taken the time to have a profile pic I don鈥檛 bother contributing to their post.  About 3x less chance my time is completely wasted if they have a pic.

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Minneapolis, MN 路 Member since 2011 路 5k+ posts 路 6k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Scott E.:
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:

    @Austin Steed Very good observation. That seems like a major contributor. Yes, when you think of it people could go a lot further in the day. Still it seems more like a quick rich quick mentality for too many. Some don't want to dig or research and disappear as though it was some playful kind of game. I get you though, its multiple facets to it. Thanks! 

    @Scott E. I'm not here to debate or go back and forth to convince you of anything. I posted my rant and that is what it is. Apparently others have noticed as well. With your quotations comments it appears you are more of an internet troll and are not actually serious about the topic at hand. Please dont preach about bashing newbies because there countless I have and am helping currently. Many can vouch for that. 

    No need to continue with you because like I said I sincerely doubt you actually care about this serious topic. However, if you do (which i still doubt) you take on the ones that post up BS, never return, never accept advice and disappear into the wind after 3 days. Not worth my time. 

    Have a good day.................


    Now we are resorting to name calling? I thought you were a professional.

    I'm all for productive discussion. It helps me to learn and grow as a person. We agree to disagree. And as I already said, no hard feelings.


     The single most NAUSIATING statement on earth: "agree to disagree".

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber 路 Pittsburgh 路 Member since 2018 路 6k+ posts 路 5k+ votes
    3y

    @Scott E.

    I don't think you and @Mark Cruse are actually disagreeing all that much =) both of your positions are perfectly compatible!

    I agree with Mark's observation that new investors seem to post a question, get a ton of great responses, and then not return.  Do they owe us anything on this free forum?  Of course not!  I'm just always surprised that they don't take more advantage of the discussions they generate.  Here's an example - a 24 post thread with not a single follow-up from OP.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

    And your point is - keep the posts coming and let's help as many people as we can.

    Agree with that too!  And I know from my forum activity that you and Mark both generally give great advice!!  There's no problem here.

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Fayetteville NC 路 Member since 2021 路 55 posts 路 26 votes
    3y

    I would say it's partially a lot of info, fear, and of course as stated just not taking it seriously. As a new investor I can admit that sometimes it does feel like an overwhelming amount of information on this platform and a lot of millennials in my generation don' have the working capital as well. It easy to feel intimidated by all of the information and feel like it's not achievable for us. But, I will say that there are some new investors who might not take it seriously nut there are that do (like myself). I am super grateful for this platform because the networking and information is unmatched. So if you feel like you are wasting your time your not. There are people on this platform that appreciate all you have to offer!

  • Investor 路 Fort Washington, MD 路 Member since 2014 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Nicholas L. great assessment and thanks for the compliment. I do want to keep posts coming but from serious investors that really want to learn and are not wasting valuable time. This business keeps ya busy so wasting time is wasting money. In terms of the other guy, I personally dont think he actually cares that much about what we are talking about. 

    @Shaniqua Knight this kind of rant doesnt apply to individuals like you. I understand how it can be intimidating. Its information over load. I didnt have a platform like this coming up and it was piece meal type info coming from all kinds of dubious sources and I had no idea which way to go. Didnt know who cared or who was scamming me. I get it. I only felt like I've wasted my time with some but there are several I have helped and are still helping now. There are several investors I learn something from here daily. All in all, I can say you have me. Inbox me if you want. I'm open and enjoy helping those that want it. No diss to older investors but I have a serious passion with seeing young investors grind, but all are welcome. LOL 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker 路 Cody, WY 路 Member since 2010 路 28k+ posts 路 41k+ votes
    3y

    I've been on the forums for 13 years and I don't see too much difference. There is definitely an increase of YouTube/TikTok investors that see a couple videos and want to jump in, but I think many of us did the same thing by reading Rich Dad, Poor Dad and then jumping in with zero knowledge.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Realtor 路 Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, TX 路 Member since 2016 路 1k+ posts 路 925 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:

     I think it is a generational thing, sadly. Our world is building (for the most part) a lazy, me-me-me, instant gratification generation. "because I ask the question, I want the answer NOW and I want you to do all the work for me". As in the past, the cream will rise to the top.

    As always, just my opinion.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Richmond, VA 路 Member since 2018 路 15 posts 路 9 votes
    3y

    I'm Very new to real estate considering I have less than a year of experience. I will admit post like this, are exactly why people who read and study(Maybe too much) are scared 馃槺 to ask questions. Doing this from scratch has been overwhelming. I've tried to provide value to any and every fellow newbie through my own trials and errors but when it comes to asking for help, it's post like these that stop me from asking. I have a signed contract and a deal right now that I have been too afraid to ask for help with a buyer out of fear of a more experienced BP member scolding me for getting a deal before a buyer. I Say that to say it's not just the people who comment, but several of us are struggling in silence afraid to ask "seasoned "investor's for help out of fear of wasting their time. Sorry for the rant it took months to finally get the courage to say I been around too long to need help but I'm hungry and taking action yet lost in some ways

  • Miami, FL 路 Member since 2022 路 60 posts 路 39 votes
    3y

    @Mark Cruse

    "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannise their teachers."

    - Socrates (430BC)

  • Investor 路 Fort Washington, MD 路 Member since 2014 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    3y

    Nathan, I see a clear difference in the Tik Tok generation. lol 

    @Lucia Rushton once again, the hammer hits the head of the nail. Me Me Me all the way. Everything has to be NOW. 

    @Robert Brunson I'm sincerely sorry you took things this way. This rant is not directed to people afraid of asking questions. In fact, it clearly shows people want to help others but are becoming frustrated with people who are wasting time and clearly approach this like a game. There are several people who are serious who ask questions every day which is awesome. I have people hitting my inbox all the time if they dont feel comfortable doing it in gen pop. Every senior investor has been where you are so if you are serious and this is actually something you honestly desire, I have not seen anyone here who would scold you. I would suggest having buyers before but that shouldn't be considered scolding. I did see a new investor who caught attitudes and bucked at people who give honest and professional critiques a few days ago. Now if a person comes here and the response is something they don't want to hear and it hurts their feelings I don't know what to say. If i ask anyone for advice it's common sense it may not always be something I want to hear or something that makes me feel good. Either way, if you understand the true dynamics of this process and don't believe this is get rich quick MLM gig, there are plenty of people here for you. I'm here for you. Hit me in the DM. I want you to win. Congratz for being here, caring and wanting to learn. On the right track. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.