Looking to purchase my first duplex or triplex (if works) in the phoenix area! I have been crunching the numbers on the properties available that I get from the MLS that the agent im working with has provided…but problem is nothing is even remotely coming close to the 2% rule.
I am looking to stay pretty close within the lines of the formula that biggerpockets provides but this is getting frustrating! For example, one of the cheaper duplexes available is asking for 369,000. When i look at what its currently charging it looks like 2,300 a month & the neighboring properties are similar in monthly rent if not a bit lower…I know there are many different ways to filet this fish here but as I am inexperienced I simply don’t know the tricks of the trade yet.
Any suggestions for someone who is just starting out to help get my creative juices flowing??? Thank you :)
First off, most markets didn't meet the 2% rule back in 2016; they certainly won't meet that rule now.
The 1% rule, 2% rule, 50% rule, and other rules are not hard science. They are tools for quickly filtering properties to determine which ones MAY meet your investing criteria. You should not make purchasing decisions based solely on these "rules" that are designed to be general guides.
All I can say is you need to educate yourself on how to properly analyze investments and you need to study the market, locally and in general. Prices have gone up dramatically in the last two years. You can't expect real estate to perform the same way it did before those price increases occurred.
Appreciate the the note. A little more pointing in the right direction to resources or sites to help me continue my education would have been great as opposed to the route you took but, yes I hear you.