Breaking Free from Analysis Paralysis and jumpstarting in real estate.

Breaking Free from Analysis Paralysis and jumpstarting in real estate.

Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 3 votes

Hello everybody! First of all I hope everyone is doing great. 

My name is Terry and I am currently a freelance app and web developer looking to get into real estate. I have the drive, yet the overconsumption of real estate information has me in analysis-paralysis. I'm particularly drawn to the prospects of property rehab and flipping, or even rental investments, but I'm open to exploring other avenues in this dynamic field. My forte lies in being a quick learner with a strong foundation in analytical and strategic thinking, skills I've finely honed through my experiences in software development. Above all, what truly excites me is the prospect of shadowing a seasoned expert in the real estate realm. I'm eager to contribute my skills and insights to add value wherever I can. I could also get some leads in exchange for a small percentage of the profits.


Thank you in advance!

1Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · St Petersburg, FL · Member since 2019 · 320 posts · 182 votes
3y

Hey Terry - great first step in getting out of the shadows of analysis paralysis.

Since you're willing to get some leads, you can make a name for yourself if you can find great deals and bring them to the investors in your market either as wholesale deals or potential JV partnerships.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · St Petersburg, FL · Member since 2019 · 320 posts · 182 votes
    3y

    Hey Terry - great first step in getting out of the shadows of analysis paralysis.

    Since you're willing to get some leads, you can make a name for yourself if you can find great deals and bring them to the investors in your market either as wholesale deals or potential JV partnerships.

  • Lender · Saddle Brook, NJ · Member since 2023 · 431 posts · 231 votes
    3y

    Definitely hop in! 

    Analysis paralysis is an all too real dampener on people's success. I am an advocate for hands-on learning. You may lose money initially, but it's in exchange for priceless knowledge. I am a mortgage professional who is licensed in Florida and I'd love to hop on a call sometime to discuss what your thinking about as well as bouncing some ideas off of how you may be able to finance your strategic purchases. I've sent a connection your way.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Terry Steigerwald:

    I think most of us watch HGTV and get the renovation/flipper bug. My advice? Focus on buying something that needs minor fixes to get a taste of what it's like. 

    I bought a hoarder house and spent six months cleaning and renovating it in my spare time. I learned from that experience that I should probably hire contractors.

    1. Start with BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginners Guide (free). It will familiarize you with the basic terminology and benefits. Then you can read a more in-depth book like The Book On Rental Property Investing by Brandon Turner or The Unofficial Guide to Real Estate Investing by Spencer Strauss.

    2. Get your finances in order. Get rid of debt, build a budget, and save. The idea that you can build wealth without putting any money into it is a recipe for disaster and the sales pitch of gurus trying to steal your money. A wise investor will not try to get rich quick with shortcuts. If you can't keep control of your personal finances, you are highly unlikely to succeed in real estate investing. Check out my personal favorite, Set For Life by Scott Trench , or The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey.

    3. As you read these books, watch the BiggerPockets podcasts. This will clarify and reinforce what you are reading. You can hear real-world examples of how others have built their investment portfolio and (hopefully) learn to avoid their mistakes.

    4. NETWORK!!! Get out of your comfort zone. Stop hanging out with your deadbeat buddies that spend all day drinking, talking sports, and otherwise wasting away. Go to BUILD YOUR TEAM at the top of the screen and look for local investors or meetups in your area. You can also find real estate investing groups through meetup.com, facebook, or a Google search. Birds of a feather flock together!

    5. Now you need to figure out how to find deals and pay for them. Again, the BiggerPockets store has some books for this or you can learn by watching podcasts, reading blogs, and interacting on the forum. There is a handy search bar in the upper right that makes it easy to find previous discussions, blogs, podcasts, and other resources. BiggerPockets also has a calculator you can use to analyze deals and I highly recommend you start this as soon as possible, even if you are not ready to buy. If you consistently analyze properties, it will be much easier to recognize a good deal when it shows up. Find Brandon's videos on YouTube for the "four square" method of analyzing homes and practice. It doesn't take long to learn how to spot a good deal.

    6. Study the market. You can learn to do this on your own or get a rockstar REALTOR to lead the way. I highly recommend a well-qualified REALTOR that works with investors and knows how to best help you.

    7. Jump in! Far too many get stuck in the "paralysis by analysis" stage, thinking they just don't know enough to get started. The truth is, you could read 100 books and still not know enough because certain things need to be learned through trial-and-error. You don't need to know everything to get started; you just need a foundation to build on and the rest will come through experience and then refining your education.

    You can build a basic understanding of investing in 3-6 months. How long it takes to be financially ready is different for everyone. Once you're ready, create a goal (e.g. "I will buy at least one single-family home, duplex, triplex, or fourplex before the end of 2019") and then do it. Real estate investing is a pretty forgiving world and the average person can still make money even with some pretty big mistakes.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · CO · Member since 2016 · 757 posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Analysis paralysis is common amongst my clients. Here are my thoughts on it and how to overcome it:

    Top five reasons I’ve come across:

    1. Information Overload: The real estate market is complex and constantly changing. Investors have access to a vast amount of information, including property values, market trends, financing options, Gurus, and more. Trying to process all this data can lead to paralysis as investors struggle to filter out what's relevant and make informed decisions.
    2. Fear of Making Mistakes: Real estate investments often involve significant sums of money. The fear of making a wrong decision, buying a property with hidden issues, or missing out on a better opportunity can lead investors to second-guess themselves and delay making a decision.
    3. Lack of Confidence: New or inexperienced investors may lack the confidence to assess properties accurately and evaluate potential risks. This lack of confidence can lead to overthinking and constant research without taking the plunge.
    4. Perfectionism: Some investors set unrealistically high standards for their investments, aiming to find the "perfect" property or deal. This pursuit of perfection can lead to analysis paralysis, as it becomes challenging to find a property that meets all criteria.
    5. Decision Fatigue: Analyzing properties, financing options, and market trends requires mental effort. Over time, this continuous decision-making process can lead to decision fatigue, where the ability to make sound judgments becomes compromised. As a result, investors might find themselves stuck in a cycle of over-analysis.

    To overcome analysis paralysis, I advise real estate investors to take several steps:

    • Set Clear Criteria: Define specific investment criteria and goals. This narrows down the options and helps investors focus on properties that align with their objectives. Keep it short and simple! You are not running a fund or a syndication.
    • Create a Timeline: Establish a timeline for decision-making. Having a structured approach can prevent investors from endlessly researching and encourage them to take action within a reasonable timeframe.
    • Seek Expert Advice: Consulting with experienced real estate professionals, such as agents, brokers, or mentors, can provide valuable insights and help investors feel more confident in their decisions. Find a trusted thought partner, forums can be helpful, but often lead back to issue #1.
    • Start Small: If a large investment seems overwhelming, consider starting with a smaller property or investment. Gaining experience and confidence on a smaller scale can reduce the fear of making mistakes.
    • Limit Research Time: Allocate a specific amount of time for research and analysis. This prevents information overload and forces investors to focus on the most critical aspects. Think the 80/20 rule.
    • Practice Decision-Making: Making decisions is a skill that can be practiced and refined. Start with smaller decisions and work up to larger ones to build confidence in your judgment.

    Remember that while thorough research is important, there comes a point where taking action is crucial for progress. Balancing analysis with action is key to successful real estate investing.

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    @Terry Steigerwald

    do you have the funds required to invest?

    It's important now especially with the way the market is to have a strong financial foundation to invest.

    I think a lot of new investors don't buy not because they have 'analysis paralysis' but because... they're not in a position to invest yet.

    house hacking remains the best way to start.

  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Obed Calixte:

    Hey Terry - great first step in getting out of the shadows of analysis paralysis.

    Since you're willing to get some leads, you can make a name for yourself if you can find great deals and bring them to the investors in your market either as wholesale deals or potential JV partnerships.


    Hi Obed! Makes a lot of sense. Bringing something of value such as potential leads could be a good way to start. Thank you very much for the pointers! I will begin taking action immediately. No better day to start than today hehe.

  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ryan Muska:

    Definitely hop in! 

    Analysis paralysis is an all too real dampener on people's success. I am an advocate for hands-on learning. You may lose money initially, but it's in exchange for priceless knowledge. I am a mortgage professional who is licensed in Florida and I'd love to hop on a call sometime to discuss what your thinking about as well as bouncing some ideas off of how you may be able to finance your strategic purchases. I've sent a connection your way.


     Much appreciated Ryan! I got your DM and I will get back to you and schedule a call. 

  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Terry Steigerwald:

    I think most of us watch HGTV and get the renovation/flipper bug. My advice? Focus on buying something that needs minor fixes to get a taste of what it's like. 

    I bought a hoarder house and spent six months cleaning and renovating it in my spare time. I learned from that experience that I should probably hire contractors.

    1. Start with BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginners Guide (free). It will familiarize you with the basic terminology and benefits. Then you can read a more in-depth book like The Book On Rental Property Investing by Brandon Turner or The Unofficial Guide to Real Estate Investing by Spencer Strauss.

    2. Get your finances in order. Get rid of debt, build a budget, and save. The idea that you can build wealth without putting any money into it is a recipe for disaster and the sales pitch of gurus trying to steal your money. A wise investor will not try to get rich quick with shortcuts. If you can't keep control of your personal finances, you are highly unlikely to succeed in real estate investing. Check out my personal favorite, Set For Life by Scott Trench , or The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey.

    3. As you read these books, watch the BiggerPockets podcasts. This will clarify and reinforce what you are reading. You can hear real-world examples of how others have built their investment portfolio and (hopefully) learn to avoid their mistakes.

    4. NETWORK!!! Get out of your comfort zone. Stop hanging out with your deadbeat buddies that spend all day drinking, talking sports, and otherwise wasting away. Go to BUILD YOUR TEAM at the top of the screen and look for local investors or meetups in your area. You can also find real estate investing groups through meetup.com, facebook, or a Google search. Birds of a feather flock together!

    5. Now you need to figure out how to find deals and pay for them. Again, the BiggerPockets store has some books for this or you can learn by watching podcasts, reading blogs, and interacting on the forum. There is a handy search bar in the upper right that makes it easy to find previous discussions, blogs, podcasts, and other resources. BiggerPockets also has a calculator you can use to analyze deals and I highly recommend you start this as soon as possible, even if you are not ready to buy. If you consistently analyze properties, it will be much easier to recognize a good deal when it shows up. Find Brandon's videos on YouTube for the "four square" method of analyzing homes and practice. It doesn't take long to learn how to spot a good deal.

    6. Study the market. You can learn to do this on your own or get a rockstar REALTOR to lead the way. I highly recommend a well-qualified REALTOR that works with investors and knows how to best help you.

    7. Jump in! Far too many get stuck in the "paralysis by analysis" stage, thinking they just don't know enough to get started. The truth is, you could read 100 books and still not know enough because certain things need to be learned through trial-and-error. You don't need to know everything to get started; you just need a foundation to build on and the rest will come through experience and then refining your education.

    You can build a basic understanding of investing in 3-6 months. How long it takes to be financially ready is different for everyone. Once you're ready, create a goal (e.g. "I will buy at least one single-family home, duplex, triplex, or fourplex before the end of 2019") and then do it. Real estate investing is a pretty forgiving world and the average person can still make money even with some pretty big mistakes.


     Hello Nathan! Thank you very much for your response. I actually read some of the guidelines you provide to get started and I began downloading the material. Networking is an area I am not particularly good at, and as you say I must get out of my comfort zone. I will begin attending local meet ups as well. Have a great weekend, and thanks again!

  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Julien J.:

    Analysis paralysis is common amongst my clients. Here are my thoughts on it and how to overcome it:

    Top five reasons I’ve come across:

    1. Information Overload: The real estate market is complex and constantly changing. Investors have access to a vast amount of information, including property values, market trends, financing options, Gurus, and more. Trying to process all this data can lead to paralysis as investors struggle to filter out what's relevant and make informed decisions.
    2. Fear of Making Mistakes: Real estate investments often involve significant sums of money. The fear of making a wrong decision, buying a property with hidden issues, or missing out on a better opportunity can lead investors to second-guess themselves and delay making a decision.
    3. Lack of Confidence: New or inexperienced investors may lack the confidence to assess properties accurately and evaluate potential risks. This lack of confidence can lead to overthinking and constant research without taking the plunge.
    4. Perfectionism: Some investors set unrealistically high standards for their investments, aiming to find the "perfect" property or deal. This pursuit of perfection can lead to analysis paralysis, as it becomes challenging to find a property that meets all criteria.
    5. Decision Fatigue: Analyzing properties, financing options, and market trends requires mental effort. Over time, this continuous decision-making process can lead to decision fatigue, where the ability to make sound judgments becomes compromised. As a result, investors might find themselves stuck in a cycle of over-analysis.

    To overcome analysis paralysis, I advise real estate investors to take several steps:

    • Set Clear Criteria: Define specific investment criteria and goals. This narrows down the options and helps investors focus on properties that align with their objectives. Keep it short and simple! You are not running a fund or a syndication.
    • Create a Timeline: Establish a timeline for decision-making. Having a structured approach can prevent investors from endlessly researching and encourage them to take action within a reasonable timeframe.
    • Seek Expert Advice: Consulting with experienced real estate professionals, such as agents, brokers, or mentors, can provide valuable insights and help investors feel more confident in their decisions. Find a trusted thought partner, forums can be helpful, but often lead back to issue #1.
    • Start Small: If a large investment seems overwhelming, consider starting with a smaller property or investment. Gaining experience and confidence on a smaller scale can reduce the fear of making mistakes.
    • Limit Research Time: Allocate a specific amount of time for research and analysis. This prevents information overload and forces investors to focus on the most critical aspects. Think the 80/20 rule.
    • Practice Decision-Making: Making decisions is a skill that can be practiced and refined. Start with smaller decisions and work up to larger ones to build confidence in your judgment.

    Remember that while thorough research is important, there comes a point where taking action is crucial for progress. Balancing analysis with action is key to successful real estate investing.


    Julien, you hit the nail on the head. I have a mixture of information overload and Lack of Confidence, hence the paralysis. That is another reason why I would like to shadow someone with experience. I will start searching for a promising investment opportunity that I can offer to an experienced investor. This way, I can closely observe and gain valuable insights from their expertise.

    Furthermore, I appreciate the great advice you provide in regards to breaking out of analysis paralysis. I will be applying these tips to jumpstart my career into real estate investment. Thanks!

  • Investor · CO · Member since 2016 · 757 posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Terry Steigerwald Glad I could help out. 

    Happy investing!

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami · Member since 2022 · 247 posts · 75 votes
    3y

    Attend local investor clubs

    Like-minded people always sharing knowledge and Opportunities. 

    Luis MFP

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.