Low drive-by appraisal for primary residence when applying for Heloc

Low drive-by appraisal for primary residence when applying for Heloc

Member since 2023 · 6 posts · 0 votes

Hello, everyone. Looking for some advice on what to do in this situation. My wife and I bought our primary residence in 2021, which was a new construction at the time. So our house is listed everywhere ( public records and Zillow/realtor.com) at 1615 sq ft, 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house. However....., even as a brand new construction our house has had a complete bonus room that is cooled and heated above our garage and there is stairs that were built leading to the bonus room from the first floor of the house (inside). So for whatever reason, the sq footage of our bonus room isn't showing anywhere in any documentation of the house which is about 300 sq ft missing from our house so our house would be 1915 sq ft. So, long story short, recently we have been shopping around for a Heloc because we have built some equity in the house and the market has grown in the area and I am looking to take action into real estate investing. So when we applied for helocs and stuff and we had those drive by appraisals and stuff, we keep getting a lower appraisal than I could ever even imagine. And so I feel like the extra living space, our bonus room not showing any of the documentation is hurting our appraisals. On top of all of this the comps that they show in the report in our surrounding areas are nowhere equivalent to our house. They show houses that are 20+ years older and some of them don't even have garages etc... that I feel are unfair comps for our property. Our house is less than 3 years old. So basically, my question is how should my wife and I proceed to try to get a fair appraisal and how do we go about having the 300 sq ft added to our house that's missing from any documentation? Thank you in advance for the answers and I apologize for rambling.

0Reply
18 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    2y

    You add the square feet by telling the county and getting properly taxed on it. 

    After the SF are added to the county records you either try the same bank again or move on to another lender. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Not permitted is more complicated. Needing a permit application, inspection for code compliance and conduct hearing at City Hall (here in our area) to make it legal. Taking at least 6 months.  I am not aware that home prices will be higher in 2024. You can ask lender if you can ask them to get an appraisal. Lender will not use your report.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.