Guidance on very first retail investment strategy

Guidance on very first retail investment strategy

Member since 2023 · 1 post · 2 votes

Hi there, I am very new to bigger pockets and I am an aspiring investor looking for some insight into our current situation. We currently live in an older home (1920s) that we purchased in December of 2018. We have two small children and would love to move to gain more space (it's a very vertical home - no playroom and only a 1 car garage. Basement is unfinished), but we're having trouble with that decision since our interest rate is only 3.6%. The home was purchased for 525k after getting into a bidding war, and we've put in about 150k of our own liquid (also using a loan) to do some renovations and updates. We live in a good area where homes appreciate, and we're within walking distance of the train that transports to downtown Chicago. The home has 3 baths and 4 beds. It's partially newly updated, with some areas that could use modernization but are not aesthetically unpleasing. Our son starts kindergarten next year, so we really want to plant our roots so he doesn't have to move schools!

Some ideas we've toyed with:

1. Keep the house and rent it out, take out a heloc and purchase a new home.
2. Keep the house and add a major addition + reno the basement, increasing value. Stay there or potentially sell in another 5-10 years.
3. Simply sell the house then buy a new one - also look into investing in a multi-family unit as an investment.

We have around 100k in liquid to use towards our next move, and open to using another loan.

Thank you so much for your insight!

2Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
2y

@Katie Bolt I feel like your primary residence is much more about how it impacts your family than it is about the investing side. I would focus on what is best for you guys. Do you need the bigger home to plant roots? Do it now. 

The investing side will come. I am not a fan of renting out your primary in a nice area. Most top tier school districts don't really support rentals based on price/rent ratios. For instance, I also am in a top school district where you can get maybe $2700-3200 per month for rent, but the PITI on most houses is more than that so it doesn't really work.

I never had the opportunity to house hack, but instead had to start out investing traditionally with 20-25% down right out of the gate. House hacking is amazing, but for those with a family I don't know that it is a great route. 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    @Katie Bolt

    welcome.  this is one of those types of questions that is very personal to your family situation.  but i did have two thoughts / reactions to your option 1.

    1. it's very difficult to get a HELOC on a rental property.

    2. based on your price point - 525K + 150K in renovations - it seems unlikely to me that this property would be a viable rental.  but i don't know the Chicago market.  so definitely something for you to analyze further.  what would it rent for?  what would the expenses be?  would you self manage or hire a property manager?  etc.

  • Mark AinleyBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Roselle, IL (Chicago Suburb) · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Katie Bolt all good problems to have.  If rent numbers work out I would not consider option 3.  Option 2 becomes a personal question about you seeing your family long term.  As an investor option 1 is always the option until it doesn’t make sense. 

    I do have a lender that will do a HELOC on an investment but you can pull the HELOC today as owner occupant too in prep for some future event.

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    Hey @Katie Bolt - Welcome to the BiggerPockets Chicago community!  And congrats on your first post!

    I like option 1. - especially if you could find a multifamily maybe a 2-unit building so you don't have to worry about the self-sufficiency test.

    I should be selling you on option 2 because we could totally help with that kind of renovation, but I am not sure that's the fastest vehicle to get you where you want to go....doing a reno project on option 1 would create the most upside.

    Regardless, happy to connect and brainstorm more through your situation if that would help.

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    @Katie Bolt I feel like your primary residence is much more about how it impacts your family than it is about the investing side. I would focus on what is best for you guys. Do you need the bigger home to plant roots? Do it now. 

    The investing side will come. I am not a fan of renting out your primary in a nice area. Most top tier school districts don't really support rentals based on price/rent ratios. For instance, I also am in a top school district where you can get maybe $2700-3200 per month for rent, but the PITI on most houses is more than that so it doesn't really work.

    I never had the opportunity to house hack, but instead had to start out investing traditionally with 20-25% down right out of the gate. House hacking is amazing, but for those with a family I don't know that it is a great route. 

  • Cleveland, OH · Member since 2022 · 811 posts · 578 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jonathan Klemm:

    Hey @Katie Bolt - Welcome to the BiggerPockets Chicago community!  And congrats on your first post!

    I like option 1. - especially if you could find a multifamily maybe a 2-unit building so you don't have to worry about the self-sufficiency test.

    I should be selling you on option 2 because we could totally help with that kind of renovation, but I am not sure that's the fastest vehicle to get you where you want to go....doing a reno project on option 1 would create the most upside.

    Regardless, happy to connect and brainstorm more through your situation if that would hel

  • Cleveland, OH · Member since 2022 · 811 posts · 578 votes
    2y

    My apologies. Did not mean to post above! 

    Best of luck. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.