$5.3M to use but 0 experience. Advice...?

$5.3M to use but 0 experience. Advice...?

Member since 2023 · 31 posts · 28 votes

Title says it all. Currently live in Orlando. Made money from other businesses in a relatively short time and at a relatively young age, and now want to put it into real estate. Problem is this would be my first real deal. I would like some general advice from the knowledged community about where might be best to deploy this (I did make an STR-specific post elsewhere, but this is for more general wealthbuilding advice). Also don't have any agent at the moment, insurance people, or loan officer (if I even get a loan), so open to advice from people here in their areas of expertise. I used to work in CRE acquisitions so I understand the numbers but lack deal experience.

Some stats: 

- I am open to both debt and all cash depending on circumstances. 

- My biggest parameters are long-term appreciation, and enough cash flow to comfortably live off of (which is why I'm strongly considering an all cash "park and profit" approach without worrying about crazy interest rates). I want to cash out at the age of 115 and use the cash to buy artificial organs to live forever, lol. Honestly that is the main goal and what both keeps me going and up at night, so I'd say the ultimate "end goal" is having lots of cash and the means to withdraw it down the line, WITHOUT going absolutely insane.

- To this end I have primarily considered Hawaii (Honolulu Oahu, Kihei Maui, and Kailua-Kona - either short term rentals or long term, ideally able to live in one unit/room of the property or properties), Miami, Houston, and Space Coast Florida. Hawaii or Miami would likely be an STR, Houston would be MTR, and Space Coast also a STR. I have a buddy in Houston with large lumbar and tool yard that I believe could make good prices for new development, but again, despite the cash, I am inexperienced and don't want to make a mistake biting off more than I can chew.

- While I can manage 1-3 STRs (I think, especially if I live in or near them) and one sub-15 unit multifamily complex, I definitely cannot for more than this on my own, and still have my other businesses to run, and want to leave adequate time to devote to those as they are my only revenue sources (another reason why I'm interested in some more livable cash flow).

- And i guess as a bonus, if you had this cash, what would you do to exponentially multiply it over a 100+ year period? I am considering buying self storage, branding it, turning it into a real business and scaling with more self storage facilities to sell to BlackRock in 2077 or something like that. Standardized, corporate, branded. Or maybe some adventurerous, extreme vacation rental business. Open to putting in the time and effort for that, but I have 0 experience with self storage, turning around some old mom and pop, or managing something like that outside of what I've read online. I am not a "handy" person. I don't want to lose this money on my first deal.

Overall, I'd love to live in Hawaii and collect 6-figures a year while living for free in one unit of a multifamily or multiple condo group, just as much as I like the idea of going all in on some big brand. I wonder, where is the balance, what would be best for now, and could I start with one and scale into the other as i grow experience and hopefully more capital? I know this is a lot, but I think it'd be an interesting discussion and would really appreciate some advice from the communtiy! Thanks.

8Reply
458 views

Most Popular Reply

Bonnie LowPro Member
Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y

Is this post even for real? It reads like a satire piece. It's hard to know which are legitimate questions to focus on answering. Generally speaking, if you have $5.3M you have ALL the options. I don't know how I'd narrow it down. Sounds like you're busy. Maybe a syndication is the right answer for now. Good luck.

See this reply in the discussion

96 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2023 · 158 posts · 96 votes
    2y

    @Alton Pettit,

    Firstly, I'd start with a reputable money manager. They'll tell you:

    1) Don't put all your cash in one place.(diversify!!)

    2) Don't pay cash when you only have $5.3M. Always use someone else's money to make more money.

    As far as RE investing goes, I'd find a solid mentor and learn all you can before diving in. It's fun and will only take about 6 months to really get your arms around where you want to start and they will be based mostly on your personality. 

    Good luck with your exciting new journey. 

    Cheers,

  • Real Estate Consultant · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 735 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Title says it all. Currently live in Orlando. Made money from other businesses in a relatively short time and at a relatively young age, and now want to put it into real estate. Problem is this would be my first real deal. I would like some general advice from the knowledged community about where might be best to deploy this (I did make an STR-specific post elsewhere, but this is for more general wealthbuilding advice). Also don't have any agent at the moment, insurance people, or loan officer (if I even get a loan), so open to advice from people here in their areas of expertise. I used to work in CRE acquisitions so I understand the numbers but lack deal experience.

    Some stats: 

    - I am open to both debt and all cash depending on circumstances. 

    - My biggest parameters are long-term appreciation, and enough cash flow to comfortably live off of (which is why I'm strongly considering an all cash "park and profit" approach without worrying about crazy interest rates). I want to cash out at the age of 115 and use the cash to buy artificial organs to live forever, lol. Honestly that is the main goal and what both keeps me going and up at night, so I'd say the ultimate "end goal" is having lots of cash and the means to withdraw it down the line, WITHOUT going absolutely insane.

    - To this end I have primarily considered Hawaii (Honolulu Oahu, Kihei Maui, and Kailua-Kona - either short term rentals or long term, ideally able to live in one unit/room of the property or properties), Miami, Houston, and Space Coast Florida. Hawaii or Miami would likely be an STR, Houston would be MTR, and Space Coast also a STR. I have a buddy in Houston with large lumbar and tool yard that I believe could make good prices for new development, but again, despite the cash, I am inexperienced and don't want to make a mistake biting off more than I can chew.

    - While I can manage 1-3 STRs (I think, especially if I live in or near them) and one sub-15 unit multifamily complex, I definitely cannot for more than this on my own, and still have my other businesses to run, and want to leave adequate time to devote to those as they are my only revenue sources (another reason why I'm interested in some more livable cash flow).

    - And i guess as a bonus, if you had this cash, what would you do to exponentially multiply it over a 100+ year period? I am considering buying self storage, branding it, turning it into a real business and scaling with more self storage facilities to sell to BlackRock in 2077 or something like that. Standardized, corporate, branded. Or maybe some adventurerous, extreme vacation rental business. Open to putting in the time and effort for that, but I have 0 experience with self storage, turning around some old mom and pop, or managing something like that outside of what I've read online. I am not a "handy" person. I don't want to lose this money on my first deal.

    Overall, I'd love to live in Hawaii and collect 6-figures a year while living for free in one unit of a multifamily or multiple condo group, just as much as I like the idea of going all in on some big brand. I wonder, where is the balance, what would be best for now, and could I start with one and scale into the other as i grow experience and hopefully more capital? I know this is a lot, but I think it'd be an interesting discussion and would really appreciate some advice from the communtiy! Thanks.

    If you have $5.3 and you just parceled out $1.3 and did $25,000.00 EMD loans 52 weeks/times a year do the math. Every 5 weeks you add the interest made to the principal. I know people doing this with less than 10% of that to start with. 
  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2023 · 165 posts · 65 votes
    2y

    @Account Closed I think I should ask you for advice. How did you make $5.3M in short time. Can you teach me?

  • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    @Account Closed people who want to live in Hawaii only say that because they have never been to Costa Rica. Just kidding - sort of.

    I own some pretty cool, high adventure, vacation rentals down in Costa Rica. So I get why they appeal to people. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you about these types of properties.

    Here is a picture of my newest property there. It has 8 bedrooms and 11 bathrooms. We are going to turn it into a 10 bedroom,14 bathroom massive super property in La Fortuna which is the highest tourist area of Costa Rica.

  • Member since 2023 · 40 posts · 30 votes
    2y

    you have enough money to hire a mentor and guide you through investing your money properly, without making costly mistakes. Just find someone who you share similar goals and you trust. Also, Orlando and FL in generally is not a bad market to invest, there should be great opportunities over there.

  • Rental Property Investor · Hart, MI · Member since 2018 · 89 posts · 29 votes
    2y

    Someone who has that much liquidity should probably qualify as an accredited investor. Hook up with other people doing big deals and learn from them......Jake and Gino have a great group to hook up with for bigger players. 


    or start small and learn a few times before you go buy a larger complex that has a full staff to manage it. I had $2M drop in my lap and I bought 20 units spread over 5 properties and it's been a great learning opportunity. Eventually, after they are stabilized and I refinance them, I will go buy another 20 unit property and hire a resident manager.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 735 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Title says it all. Currently live in Orlando. Made money from other businesses in a relatively short time and at a relatively young age, and now want to put it into real estate. Problem is this would be my first real deal. I would like some general advice from the knowledged community about where might be best to deploy this (I did make an STR-specific post elsewhere, but this is for more general wealthbuilding advice). Also don't have any agent at the moment, insurance people, or loan officer (if I even get a loan), so open to advice from people here in their areas of expertise. I used to work in CRE acquisitions so I understand the numbers but lack deal experience.

    Some stats: 

    - I am open to both debt and all cash depending on circumstances. 

    - My biggest parameters are long-term appreciation, and enough cash flow to comfortably live off of (which is why I'm strongly considering an all cash "park and profit" approach without worrying about crazy interest rates). I want to cash out at the age of 115 and use the cash to buy artificial organs to live forever, lol. Honestly that is the main goal and what both keeps me going and up at night, so I'd say the ultimate "end goal" is having lots of cash and the means to withdraw it down the line, WITHOUT going absolutely insane.

    - To this end I have primarily considered Hawaii (Honolulu Oahu, Kihei Maui, and Kailua-Kona - either short term rentals or long term, ideally able to live in one unit/room of the property or properties), Miami, Houston, and Space Coast Florida. Hawaii or Miami would likely be an STR, Houston would be MTR, and Space Coast also a STR. I have a buddy in Houston with large lumbar and tool yard that I believe could make good prices for new development, but again, despite the cash, I am inexperienced and don't want to make a mistake biting off more than I can chew.

    - While I can manage 1-3 STRs (I think, especially if I live in or near them) and one sub-15 unit multifamily complex, I definitely cannot for more than this on my own, and still have my other businesses to run, and want to leave adequate time to devote to those as they are my only revenue sources (another reason why I'm interested in some more livable cash flow).

    - And i guess as a bonus, if you had this cash, what would you do to exponentially multiply it over a 100+ year period? I am considering buying self storage, branding it, turning it into a real business and scaling with more self storage facilities to sell to BlackRock in 2077 or something like that. Standardized, corporate, branded. Or maybe some adventurerous, extreme vacation rental business. Open to putting in the time and effort for that, but I have 0 experience with self storage, turning around some old mom and pop, or managing something like that outside of what I've read online. I am not a "handy" person. I don't want to lose this money on my first deal.

    Overall, I'd love to live in Hawaii and collect 6-figures a year while living for free in one unit of a multifamily or multiple condo group, just as much as I like the idea of going all in on some big brand. I wonder, where is the balance, what would be best for now, and could I start with one and scale into the other as i grow experience and hopefully more capital? I know this is a lot, but I think it'd be an interesting discussion and would really appreciate some advice from the communtiy! Thanks.

    If you have $5.3 and you just parceled out $1.3 and did $25,000.00 EMD loans 52 weeks/times a year do the math. Every 5 weeks you add the interest made to the principal. I know people doing this with less than 10% of that to start with.

     Almost every suggestion you are getting is someone trying to get you to invest with them or with their guru etc. You can easily rinse and repeat and create quite a cash machine by lending just say $1.3 million of this. You are looking at 8 figures in LIQUID CAPITAL. 

  • Rental Property Investor · NW Missouri · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 6 votes
    2y

    Check out a syndication with $2M. That should easily get you $15k/mo. + equity growth. Open Door Capital, Lone Star Capital, Ashcroft Financial. 

    Then use the rest more actively if you so desire. 

    We will have cash flowing MF in the midwest, not huge appreciation. And debt paydown will make that money worth 4x the initial investment in 20 years (in todays dollars) while knocking down any tax liabilities. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 735 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nate Marshall:
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Title says it all. Currently live in Orlando. Made money from other businesses in a relatively short time and at a relatively young age, and now want to put it into real estate. Problem is this would be my first real deal. I would like some general advice from the knowledged community about where might be best to deploy this (I did make an STR-specific post elsewhere, but this is for more general wealthbuilding advice). Also don't have any agent at the moment, insurance people, or loan officer (if I even get a loan), so open to advice from people here in their areas of expertise. I used to work in CRE acquisitions so I understand the numbers but lack deal experience.

    Some stats: 

    - I am open to both debt and all cash depending on circumstances. 

    - My biggest parameters are long-term appreciation, and enough cash flow to comfortably live off of (which is why I'm strongly considering an all cash "park and profit" approach without worrying about crazy interest rates). I want to cash out at the age of 115 and use the cash to buy artificial organs to live forever, lol. Honestly that is the main goal and what both keeps me going and up at night, so I'd say the ultimate "end goal" is having lots of cash and the means to withdraw it down the line, WITHOUT going absolutely insane.

    - To this end I have primarily considered Hawaii (Honolulu Oahu, Kihei Maui, and Kailua-Kona - either short term rentals or long term, ideally able to live in one unit/room of the property or properties), Miami, Houston, and Space Coast Florida. Hawaii or Miami would likely be an STR, Houston would be MTR, and Space Coast also a STR. I have a buddy in Houston with large lumbar and tool yard that I believe could make good prices for new development, but again, despite the cash, I am inexperienced and don't want to make a mistake biting off more than I can chew.

    - While I can manage 1-3 STRs (I think, especially if I live in or near them) and one sub-15 unit multifamily complex, I definitely cannot for more than this on my own, and still have my other businesses to run, and want to leave adequate time to devote to those as they are my only revenue sources (another reason why I'm interested in some more livable cash flow).

    - And i guess as a bonus, if you had this cash, what would you do to exponentially multiply it over a 100+ year period? I am considering buying self storage, branding it, turning it into a real business and scaling with more self storage facilities to sell to BlackRock in 2077 or something like that. Standardized, corporate, branded. Or maybe some adventurerous, extreme vacation rental business. Open to putting in the time and effort for that, but I have 0 experience with self storage, turning around some old mom and pop, or managing something like that outside of what I've read online. I am not a "handy" person. I don't want to lose this money on my first deal.

    Overall, I'd love to live in Hawaii and collect 6-figures a year while living for free in one unit of a multifamily or multiple condo group, just as much as I like the idea of going all in on some big brand. I wonder, where is the balance, what would be best for now, and could I start with one and scale into the other as i grow experience and hopefully more capital? I know this is a lot, but I think it'd be an interesting discussion and would really appreciate some advice from the communtiy! Thanks.

    If you have $5.3 and you just parceled out $1.3 and did $25,000.00 EMD loans 52 weeks/times a year do the math. Every 5 weeks you add the interest made to the principal. I know people doing this with less than 10% of that to start with.

     Almost every suggestion you are getting is someone trying to get you to invest with them or with their guru etc. You can easily rinse and repeat and create quite a cash machine by lending just say $1.3 million of this. You are looking at 8 figures in LIQUID CAPITAL. 


     Take $4 million and do the syndications mentioned and then rinse and repeat lending the $1.3 and see what accumulates faster. You are in control of your own money and can have quite a lot of flexibility with the dry powder. Don't go all in. Most of these people posting suggestions for you have an agenda. Have your own agenda. 

  • Attorney · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 888 posts · 759 votes
    2y

    Take your time. Learn (in detail) about your options. 

    If you don't/won't learn how to preserve your wealth, find someone who you trust with your life who will and pray they do a good job.

    Due diligence is life.  Trust no one without good reason.

  • Real Estate Broker | Investor | Property Manager · Plantation, FL · Member since 2015 · 228 posts · 68 votes
    2y

    Split it into a few options to diversify your risk.  I am sure this post is causing you to be bombarded by requests for calls and such.  There are investment opportunities everywhere.  The fact is speak to the operators, get a feel for the business plans of each acquisition, and review the numbers with their team.  They need to be able to follow their underwriting and show the experience that they would be honest and true stewards of your investment dollars.  

  • Reston, VA · Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y

    Have you considered being a private money lender? Could get rates @12% annualized and not have to be actively involved in managing properties. $5 mil at 12% could earn you $600k per year. Deployed across varying projects. You’d have easy access to your capital. Could also invest in syndications, as you qualify as an accredited investor.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 735 votes
    2y

    You can tie your money up and earn 10-12% or deploy it on a rinse and repeat basis up to 50 times a more earning 20-25%. Do the math. Lending on the A-B transaction for wholesalers through the title company and being repaid on the B-C side from their assignment fee. Sometimes the same day. Often the same week. No longer than 30 days. 

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 40 posts · 30 votes
    2y

    Diversify as much as you can with your passive investments and only go with highly vetted people that you understand and know very well. If you aren't currently working you should consider using your Roth IRA. I would find passive syndications/funds (that are in places you know very well) to invest into with any retirement accounts (pre-tax) and do back-door conversions to the Roth to start earning everything tax-free for the rest of your life. There are a lot of options out there, but be careful as these are high-risk investments - some are safer than others. It is important to know the risks and it is great that you have some CRE underwriting knowledge.

  • NYC · Member since 2022 · 38 posts · 18 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Title says it all. Currently live in Orlando. Made money from other businesses in a relatively short time and at a relatively young age, and now want to put it into real estate. Problem is this would be my first real deal. I would like some general advice from the knowledged community about where might be best to deploy this (I did make an STR-specific post elsewhere, but this is for more general wealthbuilding advice). Also don't have any agent at the moment, insurance people, or loan officer (if I even get a loan), so open to advice from people here in their areas of expertise. I used to work in CRE acquisitions so I understand the numbers but lack deal experience.

    Some stats: 

    - I am open to both debt and all cash depending on circumstances. 

    - My biggest parameters are long-term appreciation, and enough cash flow to comfortably live off of (which is why I'm strongly considering an all cash "park and profit" approach without worrying about crazy interest rates). I want to cash out at the age of 115 and use the cash to buy artificial organs to live forever, lol. Honestly that is the main goal and what both keeps me going and up at night, so I'd say the ultimate "end goal" is having lots of cash and the means to withdraw it down the line, WITHOUT going absolutely insane.

    - To this end I have primarily considered Hawaii (Honolulu Oahu, Kihei Maui, and Kailua-Kona - either short term rentals or long term, ideally able to live in one unit/room of the property or properties), Miami, Houston, and Space Coast Florida. Hawaii or Miami would likely be an STR, Houston would be MTR, and Space Coast also a STR. I have a buddy in Houston with large lumbar and tool yard that I believe could make good prices for new development, but again, despite the cash, I am inexperienced and don't want to make a mistake biting off more than I can chew.

    - While I can manage 1-3 STRs (I think, especially if I live in or near them) and one sub-15 unit multifamily complex, I definitely cannot for more than this on my own, and still have my other businesses to run, and want to leave adequate time to devote to those as they are my only revenue sources (another reason why I'm interested in some more livable cash flow).

    - And i guess as a bonus, if you had this cash, what would you do to exponentially multiply it over a 100+ year period? I am considering buying self storage, branding it, turning it into a real business and scaling with more self storage facilities to sell to BlackRock in 2077 or something like that. Standardized, corporate, branded. Or maybe some adventurerous, extreme vacation rental business. Open to putting in the time and effort for that, but I have 0 experience with self storage, turning around some old mom and pop, or managing something like that outside of what I've read online. I am not a "handy" person. I don't want to lose this money on my first deal.

    Overall, I'd love to live in Hawaii and collect 6-figures a year while living for free in one unit of a multifamily or multiple condo group, just as much as I like the idea of going all in on some big brand. I wonder, where is the balance, what would be best for now, and could I start with one and scale into the other as i grow experience and hopefully more capital? I know this is a lot, but I think it'd be an interesting discussion and would really appreciate some advice from the communtiy! Thanks.


     I would pass this one off as tantamount to trolling but if there is any seriousness in this post, I suggest you keep doing what you were doing all along.

  • Rental Property Investor · Doylestown, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Account Closed - with that kind of money you don't need to be down in the weeds.  Down here is for the scrappy folks looking to get to $5.3M.  Once you're there, let your money work for you...because it can make money 24/7 while you have time constraints.

  • Specialist · NJ · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 650 votes
    2y

    Sent you a PM Alton

  • Megan KrekorianPro Member
    Mobile Home Park Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2012 · 72 posts · 13 votes
    2y

    Hey @Account Closed think about protecting your cash first (ULI, 401k, etc), borrow from your protected money for your down payments. You have enough to spread out between retirement and cash investments. 

    Figure out what kind of an investor you are first. How much risk you are comfortable with? Do you want all your eggs in one basket or spread out over many. How much of a "job" in RE do you want? Is it important to own trophy properties or are you okay with something a little less glamourous?  You either pay for education or you pay through mistakes. 

    You are very well positioned to hit your 6-figures. If this is your end goal, without creating a job, I think MF is a fantastic approach. What you would spend on a few STRs you could easily buy an apartment building, Mobile Home or RV park leveraging commercial debt. In these you could hire a professional property manager and immediately get to your six figures. 

    Buy first where you don't want to live to generate a lot of cash flow, use the cash flow to buy where you want to live. And when hacking a MF do not let your lender know you are moving into it! 

    Use the cash flow to buy your STRs later if that is a business you want to build - STRs are a business. Investing in different niches and different markets will help spread out your risk. Different types of real estate hurt in different market cycles and are also affected differently from disasters, pandemics, fluctuating rates, etc

  • Specialist · NJ · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 650 votes
    2y

    Alton, I left you a PM.  

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2010 · 52 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    I sent you DM

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.