I understand you can look at Zillow and leverage public county tax databases to find semi-accurate property tax numbers with comparables. I might be looking for the easy button here, but is there an accurate single-source resource for determining property taxes quickly when evaluating properties? I have found something like this site, but it seems to be fairly inaccurate.. just trying to automate my evaluation process and make it faster - finding the right property is a numbers and right markets game, and I need to evaluate at scale...
Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
2y
@Daniel Grabowski This is a state / locality specific question. For example, in NJ we are basically pure ad valorem system, w/o homestead. CA is pretty much the reverse with their resetting of the asset to the sale price upon transfer. Then, you have ad valorem systems that have homesteading.. So, you need to figure out what sort of tax system is going on for the areas that you are looking for.
Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
2y
@Daniel Grabowski This is a state / locality specific question. For example, in NJ we are basically pure ad valorem system, w/o homestead. CA is pretty much the reverse with their resetting of the asset to the sale price upon transfer. Then, you have ad valorem systems that have homesteading.. So, you need to figure out what sort of tax system is going on for the areas that you are looking for.
I usually check the county assessor’s site for the latest assessed value and mill rate, then multiply those. Calling the assessor’s office directly also clears up any tricky stuff.
yeah, I ended up juggling county sites, but it still felt slow. Funny enough, while looking for ways to speed things up, I stumbled across psychic love experts and it was kind of a silly detour, but they actually had a neat setup for quick info lookups.