How to keep a property in Montclair NJ for long-term appreciation

How to keep a property in Montclair NJ for long-term appreciation

Andrew ReyesPro Member
Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 15 votes

I am looking for advice on the best way to keep a property in Montclair NJ. What would you do if you were me?

The property is currently being used as a primary residence (looking to move to CA) and was purchased in 2021 for $650k with a 30-year fixed rate mortgage and PITI is just over $4k per month today. The property is worth approx. $900k, which would be almost $350k in equity today with $250k all-in for down payment/closing/rehab. Rehab consisted of complete gut renovation of kitchen/dining area, new hardwood floors and refreshed bathrooms (new vanity and paint).

I am bullish about the long-term appreciation prospects of the property and have trouble envisioning the hold strategy over the next 10-15 years. The property has walking access to local parks with playground as well as nature walks. Under 10 min drive to Montclair State University, Upper Montclair NJ Transit station and close to route 3/garden state parkway intersection in a great kid-friendly neighborhood.

With 4 bed and 1.5 bath the current layout is ideal for a family. I am concerned that the local market will not support long-term rentals as I do not see any listed that are comparable size and bed/bath count. I think of Joe Asamoah with the Section 8 strategy deployed in Washington DC and keeping tenants for many years (even decades), but maximum reimbursement appears to be $3,740 for 4 bedrooms and market rate family tenants will likely turnover every year or two as they would likely be looking to own in the area.

I think rent by the room (students or university professionals) would be the best way to cash flow the property while paying off the mortgage. I was able to comp single bedrooms at $1k per month with shared bath and $1,800 per month with separate bath. This property has 4 bedrooms and only 1.5 bath, which I worry is not ideal for this type of living situation.

The house is a split ranch with one car garage and 2 car driveway. The ground floor has a family room with access to attached garage, 1 bedroom, .5 bath, laundry and access to modest backyard. Basement is partially finished with access form the ground floor only. 1st level is open concept kitchen/dining room with reading nook and oversized windows with great natural light. The second floor has 3 bedrooms and 1 bath.

My plan would be to convert the garage and living area on the ground floor into additional bedrooms to make 6 rentable rooms ($6k per month total revenue) with shared kitchen. The bathroom count is too small for this number of bedrooms so I would plan to convert the ground floor half bath to a 3/4 by adding a shower and adding an additional full bathroom upstairs attached to the main bedroom, which could connect to the pipes. etc. for the existing bathroom.

0Reply
57 views

Most Popular Reply

Bonnie LowPro Member
Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y

You are going to struggle with the rent-by-room strategy without an adequate number of bathrooms. Most people who rent by room want their own bathroom or at most, are willing to share it with one other person. It's going to reduce your potential renter pool and they're not going to pay top dollar so just keep that in mind. You're talking about some expensive conversions just to put more heads in beds. 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    2y

    What's the market rate rent for the property?

  • Andrew ReyesPro Member
    OP
    Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 15 votes
    2y

    Hi Russell - I would use $3,500 as market rent. There is a comp on the block at $4,500 per BP rent estimator but it is larger with 4 bed and 3.5 bath.

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Andrew Reyes

    Yeah, its tough.  Lots of NJ sfh don't pencil out well as rentals.

    I would be concerned a bit about the remodeling plan.  Is there enough parking to go with it?  Are you keeping each room a single --- just double check zoning you don't max out occupancy or become categorized as a hotel.  NJ is kinda annoying since you have to file for CoH with each tenant.  So technically you need to file if anyone changes as I recall.

    Also, I suppose when you go to sell in the far future, you'd change the property back?  That would be its best use and the point of waiting for the appreciation.  Are the costs worth it?

    Lost track of your numbers, honestly.

    I don't invest in Montclair.  You guys should have public water and sewer, right?

  • Andrew ReyesPro Member
    OP
    Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 15 votes
    2y

    Thank you, David. I know the post was a bit long winded. I did not consider the zoning and cost to convert back at the end to realize any appreciation.

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Andrew Reyes

    Your welcome

    I just noticed I for some reason didn't mention about your parking.  6+ cars with a 2 car driveway (forget the garage since somebody will be blocked in).  Our lot sizes / frontage in NJ is usually only so big...  so...

    Again, lots of issues to work through when trying to use a single family into a "mini-dormitory."

    Good luck.

  • Shawn McenteerBusiness Member
    Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Hi @Andrew Reyes tough to say without seeing inside.  MTR is working very well in Montclair, student rental is great as well.  LTR is huge in Montclair.   All these strategies depend greatly on location, layout and your personal comfort level.   

    currently I am renting to Montclair state students in Caldwell, student demand is for sure there but that will hugely depend on timing of the rental and proper marketing. 

    House Hacking New Jersey563 Reviews
  • Andrew ReyesPro Member
    OP
    Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 15 votes
    2y

    Hi Shawn - thank you for the encouragement. I am surprised to hear that LTR are huge in Montclair. It seems like such a owner occupied neighborhood.

  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    You are going to struggle with the rent-by-room strategy without an adequate number of bathrooms. Most people who rent by room want their own bathroom or at most, are willing to share it with one other person. It's going to reduce your potential renter pool and they're not going to pay top dollar so just keep that in mind. You're talking about some expensive conversions just to put more heads in beds. 

  • Andrew ReyesPro Member
    OP
    Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 15 votes
    2y

    Thank you, Bonnie!

  • Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 7 votes
    10mo

    @Andrew Reyes just curious, what did you decide to do with your property? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.