Does it make sense to invest in this market?

Does it make sense to invest in this market?

Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 1 vote

I have been trying to find properties in the Rochester, NY area off and on for the last 2-3 years.  I haven't been highly motivated, just wanting to get in the market when the right opportunity came along.  I actually do need to find a property in the next 90 days due to my work situation changing, but it seems like an almost impossible task. Lately I have been using the BiggerPockets tools to analyze deals and it seems like essentially no properties will cash flow these days in any of the B+ greater areas.  Most multi families go for above asking by 10-20% and often are cash deals.  I just want to find a property that will cash flow when I leave (currently trying to house hack).  Does it make sense to invest in say a 350k property that will cost me 200-300 a month to operate even after I move out if its in a good neighborhood?  Are people just doing the appreciation play these days?  My concern is that housing values have gone up so much lately that, like any market, the next cycle could come around and leave me in a bad situation.  My other thought is that it may just make sense to buy the property so that my monthly burden is equal to or less than it would be if I rented in the area, because at least I am paying towards my own equity.  Open to any thoughts or suggestions.  

0Reply
66 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Beverly, MA · Member since 2019 · 358 posts · 308 votes
2y

Yes appreciation is a big play these days. Cash flow is becoming less and less available especially if you’re a house hacked because you’re likely only putting a small amount down. But I think what you said is huge, be in a similar spot now in terms of paying a mortgage or rent and get nothing out of it. I think the biggest question these days is how long are you planning to hold this? Forever it’s an easy yea in my eyes. A year or two? Probably not worth it. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jeff Daring:

    I have been trying to find properties in the Rochester, NY area off and on for the last 2-3 years.  I haven't been highly motivated, just wanting to get in the market when the right opportunity came along.  I actually do need to find a property in the next 90 days due to my work situation changing, but it seems like an almost impossible task. Lately I have been using the BiggerPockets tools to analyze deals and it seems like essentially no properties will cash flow these days in any of the B+ greater areas.  Most multi families go for above asking by 10-20% and often are cash deals.  I just want to find a property that will cash flow when I leave (currently trying to house hack).  Does it make sense to invest in say a 350k property that will cost me 200-300 a month to operate even after I move out if its in a good neighborhood?  Are people just doing the appreciation play these days?  My concern is that housing values have gone up so much lately that, like any market, the next cycle could come around and leave me in a bad situation.  My other thought is that it may just make sense to buy the property so that my monthly burden is equal to or less than it would be if I rented in the area, because at least I am paying towards my own equity.  Open to any thoughts or suggestions.  

    First, when you describe "market", I assume you mean the global economy.  Based on that definition, the answer will always be "yes".  That's because you're using the wrong "market" as your guide.  The "market" you should be using is based on specifically where you are investing.  There will always be bad markets, there will always be good markets.  If you analyze one of these "location" markets, and the numbers don't work, then don't invest there.  Find a different market that will work.
    Second, as far as investing with negative CF, the answer is "no".  See above.
  • Real Estate Agent · Beverly, MA · Member since 2019 · 358 posts · 308 votes
    2y

    Yes appreciation is a big play these days. Cash flow is becoming less and less available especially if you’re a house hacked because you’re likely only putting a small amount down. But I think what you said is huge, be in a similar spot now in terms of paying a mortgage or rent and get nothing out of it. I think the biggest question these days is how long are you planning to hold this? Forever it’s an easy yea in my eyes. A year or two? Probably not worth it. 

  • Bill SchrimpfBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Reno, NV · Member since 2014 · 349 posts · 189 votes
    2y

    @Jeff Daring - I'm not familiar with your market, but at a high level, house hacking is a great place to start.  You get someone else to pay all or part of your housing expense for the immediate future.  Not a bad deal.  

    Down the road, you either refi or sell.  Nobody has a crystal ball to predict the future but, generally, rates will likely go down, property will appreciate and rent's will increase.

    Getting experience as a landlord is valuable too...

    ERA Realty Central - Bill Schrimpf58 Reviews
  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2015 · 499 posts · 169 votes
    2y

    I invest full time in Rochester--where are you looking?  feel free to dm with any specific problems you are running into 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.