Current homeowner first time investment seeking sound entry strategy.

Current homeowner first time investment seeking sound entry strategy.

Property Manager · Houston Tx · Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 4 votes

Hello all, 

I am graciously seeking input and guidance on an entry strategy that best suits my unique situation. 
I am 35 and the owner of a 1000sqft 2 bed 1 bath starter home that I bought for 150,000k in 2020 at 2.75% interest rate. 
Although I know the home I live in is no asset, I see its cash flow potential if I can be living elsewhere. All in, my mortgage is $1,100/ month and all comparables are renting for $1700/ month in my subdivision. 
Here is where my story gets complicated. Since 2020 I have gotten married, had 2 children, taken in my grandmother in law and have a 3rd child on the way. We have certainly outgrown our little slice of heaven. I have quite a bit of equity in this house that is now valued just south of $180k however the thought of giving up my precious 2.75% rate for a HELOC makes my stomach turn. My cash savings are pitiful, sitting just around $5,000 as all I have to show for years of saving every possible penny.

I make a decent salary of $90,000/ year at my day job as a project manager for a real estate development company in downtown Houston. That is a beautiful thing for a single income household but is nowhere near enough to reach the financial security and lifestyle I would like for my family. I am fortunate to be surrounded by knowledgeable brokers, agents and hard money lenders but feel I need a solid plan in place before I attempt to tap the resources around me. 

My main dilemma is on financing my first investment property, as I do not have the funding to pay 20-25% down on a loan for investment. I’d struggle to come up with the 3.5-5% down on an fha or other low down options. 
My family and I are completely on board for an owner occupied/house hack option, however I see this could be challenging, being the landlord downstairs or next door with 3 screaming children; banging on walls and the likes as most children do. This would not be an ideal situation for any tenant and I feel I need to put the idea of house hack aside unless I can find a unique property that has multiple standalone units, one large enough for my Brady Bunch and potentially several other units to offset the note. This would be additionally offset by the $600 in cash flow from renting my original home. 

Although I know my situation has its downsides, I know there has to be someone here who has overcome similar hurdles. If you have the chance to read my long winded post and have insight on alternative ways start my REI journey please respond or feel free to DM me. Any and all input would be so very appreciated.

Thanks so many!

-John Anselmo

1Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Member since 2024 · 52 posts · 47 votes
2y

Hey John,

Congrats on all your accomplishments! Here’s a streamlined game plan for your situation:

Leverage Your Current Home: Rent it out for $1,700/month to generate $600/month in positive cash flow ($1,700 rent - $1,100 mortgage). Consider a small HELOC for initial costs if you can secure a good rate.

Owner-Occupied Strategy: Look for a duplex, triplex, or fourplex with one unit big enough for your family. Properties with additional units on the property offer separation from tenants and rental income. (think guest house or apartment above the garage)

Financing the Next Property: FHA loans require as little as 3.5% down. Check for down payment assistance programs. Explore short-term solutions with hard money lenders and plan to refinance later. I've bought most of my rentals utilizing vendor carry back financing (for a zero down option)

Utilize Your Network: Use your connections for off-market deals and creative financing. Partner with someone who has capital while you bring project management skills. 

Actionable Steps: Understand your finances and potential rental income. Explore loan options and down payment assistance. Attend real estate events for opportunities. Focus on finding a property that fits your family and rental needs.

You’ve got a solid base. With some strategic planning and leveraging your network, you can take the next step in real estate investing.

Good luck!

Cheers, Jeremy

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Zach BossonBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2023 · 42 posts · 15 votes
    2y

    John,

    Great questions!

    I actually have done personally exactly what you're describing - HELOC on primary residence, use that to purchase new primary, move into new primary and rent the previous home(4 times in 5 years). And professionally it's a product I've built my business around!

    You mentioned that taking out a HELOC would cause you to sacrifice your 2.75%, that's the benefit of a 2nd lien, you don't touch your first while accessing the equity and adding a 2nd! Verse a cashout refinance where you'd have your new higher rate on the total amount (Current 1st + New Cash).

    - This unlocks cash to allow you to buy a new larger home for your growing family(congrats) with 5% down (Since it's a primary residence)

    - This allows you to exit the current home and cash in on the $600 cashflow differential(minus the monthly payment of the HELOC, minus maintenance and plus tax savings ).

    Could be a strategy that works well for you, please feel free to reach out if you want to talk shop and run the #s.

    Zach

  • Property Manager · Houston Tx · Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    2y

    Thanks for the reply, Zach! 
    Thanks for clarifying about the heloc. I’m pretty sure I was confusing it for a home equity line of credit. 
    Still weighing my options and going to have to hunt for the right deal as I’d like to offset the cost of my new home a bit more than the cash flow of my original home will cover.  Possibly a house with an additional rentable space on the same property so I have 2 rentals working for me. 
    Thanks again! 
    -John

  • Zach BossonBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2023 · 42 posts · 15 votes
    2y

    Happy to help!!

    Heads up - HELOC = Home Equity Line of Credit.

    Makes sense! Good luck on your search, if you need a good realtor referral to help your hunt don't hesitate to reach out, I have a network in all 50!

  • Investor · Member since 2024 · 52 posts · 47 votes
    2y

    Hey John,

    Congrats on all your accomplishments! Here’s a streamlined game plan for your situation:

    Leverage Your Current Home: Rent it out for $1,700/month to generate $600/month in positive cash flow ($1,700 rent - $1,100 mortgage). Consider a small HELOC for initial costs if you can secure a good rate.

    Owner-Occupied Strategy: Look for a duplex, triplex, or fourplex with one unit big enough for your family. Properties with additional units on the property offer separation from tenants and rental income. (think guest house or apartment above the garage)

    Financing the Next Property: FHA loans require as little as 3.5% down. Check for down payment assistance programs. Explore short-term solutions with hard money lenders and plan to refinance later. I've bought most of my rentals utilizing vendor carry back financing (for a zero down option)

    Utilize Your Network: Use your connections for off-market deals and creative financing. Partner with someone who has capital while you bring project management skills. 

    Actionable Steps: Understand your finances and potential rental income. Explore loan options and down payment assistance. Attend real estate events for opportunities. Focus on finding a property that fits your family and rental needs.

    You’ve got a solid base. With some strategic planning and leveraging your network, you can take the next step in real estate investing.

    Good luck!

    Cheers, Jeremy

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.