Real estate investing with my inheritance/savings?

Real estate investing with my inheritance/savings?

Member since 2024 · 1 post · 0 votes

So, last month I was laid-off from a job I held for about two years. Oddly enough, it feels like a blessing in disguise because I had grown tired of it. Despite being remote, I felt confined to my desk every day with little mobility, and the heavy emphasis on commission made it a rollercoaster experience.

During a recent trip to the States (I'm Canadian), I had a realization. After speaking with several successful real estate investors with multiple properties. That I could take some of my inheritance and savings, around $400K total tied up in investments with TD Waterhouse, and using a portion of it to invest in a rental property(s)

Currently without a job and hesitant to return to a similar situation, I'm at a crossroads. Does anyone have advice or experience they could share?

0Reply
58 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    2y

    With $400K can you get into real estate investing?  Certainly!  You have enough to build a decent portfolio. Please get educated before you start writing checks.

    What concerns me is you started this post by talking about how you are jobless.  It appears you are thinking that your new job will be investing in rental property. Without steady income, the odds you can successfully make that transition are very low.  You would be much better off finding a job that can at least cover your living costs while you build your portfolio.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.