Find a Mentor or Quit?

Find a Mentor or Quit?

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 3 votes

I have been hammering away at trying to start a fix and flip real estate business of single homes in the Chicago market. I have tried pursuing several avenues to identify opportunity including knocking on homeowner's doors, working with wholesalers and brokers, trying to buy notes and calling attorneys for their lists of potential foreclosures and short sales. I am now at the 10 month mark and have not closed a single deal. There always seems to be some problem that causes the deal to fail such as investor issues or seller issues. I am beyond frustrated and not sure whether I should call it quits or try to find a mentor to show me what I might be doing wrong. It has been so difficult to just identify opportunity in this over inundated market with little supply. Anyone have any ideas? I have seen the concept floated around about a local investor's coaching program but I don't have any money to spend aside from splitting the profits of a deal 50/50 nor do I know where to identify such a program. Help!!!

0Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Santa Monica, CA · Member since 2013 · 34 posts · 23 votes
12y

I found a seller who was going through a divorce and unloading 14 of his properties, many where old houses in extremely "hot" neighborhoods. None of them were even on the market. When its all said and done I will have purchased 8 of them. I found him through looking for deals on Craigslist. He was advertising only one of his properties and come to find out he had many more.

I found the "jackpot" with this guy. You never know where it will come from. Thats why you can't give up. I am on my 4th business and finally finding success after 12 years of being an entrepreneur (33 yrs old).

I have been traveling from CA to Indiana and visa versa every 60 days for 2 years. It's been grueling but I have created a great team of agents, contractors and crews. I own 7 rentals that I manage from CA. I do not work with PM yet.

I have bought bad properties that I have been totally upside down, I have had a property taken back by lender, I have lost $30k in more than one flip, I have been ripped off by contractors, my homes have been severely vandalized, I have been homeless and the list goes on. All in 2 years. It has been really bad at times.

I never lost sight of the dream tho. I think you either have it or you don't. Some are willing to sacrifice and some aren't. Don't be afraid to lose money. Put the best deal you can together and pull the trigger.

See this reply in the discussion

63 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 673 posts · 360 votes
    12y

    Kenneth, What have you done for marketing besides door knocking? How did you choose this marketing and why?

    Starting out is always frustrating. Attend a local REIA and there will be plenty of people there offering to coach/mentor for a fee or by taking a % of the deal. If they take 75% and teach you some good habits along the way, then it just might be worth it.

  • Real Estate Investor · Myrtle Beach, SC · Member since 2012 · 299 posts · 104 votes
    12y

    I agree with Ken, also call me and I will help you find a property that you can close on. No strings from me.

  • Real Estate Broker · Jacksonville, OR · Member since 2009 · 199 posts · 155 votes
    12y

    If your mentor is also a fix and flipper, your offer to split the profits might be pretty unattractive. Think about it, without you, they get 100% of the profits. =)

    Getting your real estate license might enable you to learn the business from a different angle. You could target fix and flippers as your Clients, offering them services for like accurate property valuations(before and after), foreclosure lists, contractor bids. You could be available to them weeknights and weekends, whenever new properties become available, to write offers. You can slowly learn from them, but you have to add value to their business. By value, I mean the ability to increase their income, or the ability to be more effective or efficient.

    If getting your license is not of interest, you could also offer to obtain all bids for them and do their grunt work, but this will often not be financially rewarding. You are essentially working for scraps, for the opportunity to learn from someone who has developed a lucrative flipping biz.

    There is opportunity out there, but consider what would help you make more money as a flipper, and become that person for your mentor.

  • Contractor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Step 1 - Remove quit from your vocabulary and replace it with perseverance.

    Perseverance - noun - steadfastness in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success.

  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Kenneth Goldman:
    ....It has been so difficult to just identify opportunity in this over inundated market with little supply.
    Anyone have any ideas? I have seen the concept floated around about a local investor's coaching program but I don't have any money to spend aside from splitting the profits of a deal 50/50 nor do I know where to identify such a program. Help!!!

    Wholesaling - flipping-rehabbing-retailing is one box.

    Another box is the Seller Financing Box, Lease Option Assignments and Sub2, etc.

    I show the seller they have 3 options (little equity seller)

    1. Sell with an agent and pay the costs to sell. Commissions, closing costs, sellers concessions, spruce up costs, holding costs (PITI costs while listed vacant, etc. This is about 10% to 15% of comps, especially if the location is not great (corner, busy street, etc.)

    2. Renting it out, many do not want to.

    3. Selling on terms in IL. Sub2, Wraps, Lease Option Assignments, etc. Or Owner Financing a free and clear house.

    This model is not flipping - retailing. No builders, no cash buyers being too picky.

    Just matching up Little Equity Sellers with Just Missed Financing Home Buyers.

    Make $5000 in 10 Hours.

  • House Flipper · East Stroudsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 205 votes
    12y

    Get active in the real estate investment clubs and you will soon find out what you may be overlooking. There are always opportunities available don't let frustration influesnce your attitude. Take a deep breath and start out fresh and look upon it as a learning experience. Food for thought and reflection.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 3 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    I agree with Ken, also call me and I will help you find a property that you can close on. No strings from me.

    @Account Closed

    Sydney, How do I get in touch with you? Where do you have opportunities? I appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks-Ken

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 3 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Brian Gibbons:
    Originally posted by @Kenneth Goldman:
    ....It has been so difficult to just identify opportunity in this over inundated market with little supply.
    Anyone have any ideas? I have seen the concept floated around about a local investor's coaching program but I don't have any money to spend aside from splitting the profits of a deal 50/50 nor do I know where to identify such a program. Help!!!

    Wholesaling - flipping-rehabbing-retailing is one box.

    Another box is the Seller Financing Box, Lease Option Assignments and Sub2, etc.

    I show the seller they have 3 options (little equity seller)

    1. Sell with an agent and pay the costs to sell. Commissions, closing costs, sellers concessions, spruce up costs, holding costs (PITI costs while listed vacant, etc. This is about 10% to 15% of comps, especially if the location is not great (corner, busy street, etc.)

    2. Renting it out, many do not want to.

    3. Selling on terms in IL. Sub2, Wraps, Lease Option Assignments, etc. Or Owner Financing a free and clear house.

    This model is not flipping - retailing. No builders, no cash buyers being too picky.

    Just matching up Little Equity Sellers with Just Missed Financing Home Buyers.

    Make $5000 in 10 Hours.

    @Brian Gibbons

    Brian, your advice is great. For number 3 in your list, how do you identify those opportunities? Thank you-Ken

  • Investor · Chesterfield, VA · Member since 2014 · 93 posts · 11 votes
    12y

    You should consider joining or sitting in a local real estate investors club. Check out meetup.com or just google it. You can interact with people of like interests and learn a ton!

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y

    @Kenneth Goldman - I say this to encourage you, not to discourage you. But it was about 4 years for me before I had any real significant success in this biz. Didn't have any success at all for the first 2 years.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 3 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Bryan L.:
    @Kenneth Goldman - I say this to encourage you, not to discourage you. But it was about 4 years for me before I had any real significant success in this biz. Didn't have any success at all for the first 2 years.

    @Bryan L.

    I really appreciate you sharing that with me as I have been feeling "poor me" about my lack of success. It is extremely helpful to me to hear what struggles others have gone through as it gives me hope. I admire your perseverance. If I could ask, what changed to finally bring you success or what differences did you make to change your course of action? Thank you-Ken

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y

    @Kenneth Goldman - I started having better success after I became a Realtor and went full-time. The full-time thing was risky though, and only lasted about 3 years. I now have multiple streams of income, and with more experience, I am getting better deals.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    also remember that you missed the best time in the market as well. now a days everyone is trying to be a landlord/flipper/wholesaler. just look at the the number of threads on BP asking for advice..

  • Investor/Realtor · Hoover, AL · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 459 votes
    12y

    1. Find and attend the local REIA...

    2. Read...BP/Books

    3. Get your finances/credit in order

    4. Go to open houses and looking in a target area..

    5. Tell everyone you know that you're an investor....

    Just a few steps...work at RE everyday...It will come....

    Don't believe the "HYPE"..It's not quick and easy....you have to WORK!!!

  • Santa Monica, CA · Member since 2013 · 34 posts · 23 votes
    12y

    I am 2 years into my rental/fix/flip business and its been a complete pain in the *** with more sleepless nights than not. Went broke many times. I wanted to quit 100 times. I started with no money and and didn't make any money for 2 years until 3 months ago I made $100k on a flip. And I will make about that on the one I am working on now. Point being… Just Keep going!

    I am running my business from 2000 miles from where I live and I am doing it. You should be able to make it happen … Get creative with your deals.

  • Santa Monica, CA · Member since 2013 · 34 posts · 23 votes
    12y

    One thing that helped me is I bought 4 rentals first and that provided a little cash flow as I began flipping. Somehow it was enough to keep me going.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 3 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Tyler Kimmel:
    I am 2 years into my rental/fix/flip business and its been a complete pain in the *** with more sleepless nights than not. Went broke many times. I wanted to quit 100 times. I started with no money and and didn't make any money for 2 years until 3 months ago I made $100k on a flip. And I will make about that on the one I am working on now. Point being… Just Keep going!
    I am running my business from 2000 miles from where I live and I am doing it. You should be able to make it happen … Get creative with your deals.

    @Tyler Kimmel

    Tyler, I am totally with you on the sleepless nights. What changed for you to find the $100k profit deals and how do you run it from so far away? I ask because I have considered looking into other markets outside of Chicago. Thanks-Ken

  • Santa Monica, CA · Member since 2013 · 34 posts · 23 votes
    12y

    I found a seller who was going through a divorce and unloading 14 of his properties, many where old houses in extremely "hot" neighborhoods. None of them were even on the market. When its all said and done I will have purchased 8 of them. I found him through looking for deals on Craigslist. He was advertising only one of his properties and come to find out he had many more.

    I found the "jackpot" with this guy. You never know where it will come from. Thats why you can't give up. I am on my 4th business and finally finding success after 12 years of being an entrepreneur (33 yrs old).

    I have been traveling from CA to Indiana and visa versa every 60 days for 2 years. It's been grueling but I have created a great team of agents, contractors and crews. I own 7 rentals that I manage from CA. I do not work with PM yet.

    I have bought bad properties that I have been totally upside down, I have had a property taken back by lender, I have lost $30k in more than one flip, I have been ripped off by contractors, my homes have been severely vandalized, I have been homeless and the list goes on. All in 2 years. It has been really bad at times.

    I never lost sight of the dream tho. I think you either have it or you don't. Some are willing to sacrifice and some aren't. Don't be afraid to lose money. Put the best deal you can together and pull the trigger.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    @Tyler Kimmel

    Tyler, your story is amazing. You give me strength to keep going. I really appreciate your candidness. I wish you all the success you deserve. Thank you-Ken

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 710 posts · 200 votes
    12y

    What neighborhoods are you looking at in Chicago. N and NW side is tough right now there is low inventory and little profit to flip

    Id also get your RE license if you don't already have it

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 710 posts · 200 votes
    12y

    id start farming South if you haven't already is what I forgot to add

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 3 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @John Weidner:
    What neighborhoods are you looking at in Chicago. N and NW side is tough right now there is low inventory and little profit to flip
    Id also get your RE license if you don't already have it

    @John Weidner

    John, I have been looking on the north and nw side of Chicago and have been frustrated by the lack of deals. My investors love these areas but then again who doesn't. I recently found a 3 flat on the south west side of Chicago and my investors ran for the hills. I am scratching my head as to next steps since these deals are falling through. I recently spoke with an investor and he recommended Milwaukee but truth be told, I hesitate since I don't know much about that area. Thanks-Ken

  • Santa Monica, CA · Member since 2013 · 34 posts · 23 votes
    12y

    No problem. I wanted to make a point that good things will happen despite how you may feel right now.

    "If you Will it, it is no dream"

    Keep me posted

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 710 posts · 200 votes
    12y

    The margins and asset outlay are getting tight in any N or NW side neighborhood. You almost need to pop the roof on a 50's ranch for it to make sense and add sq footage. Also it's not uncommon to see 50+ offers on MLS deals right now.

    Yeah Milwaukee is supposed to be decent right now and it's on my radar but there are deals in Chicago you just need to expand your farm.

    Where on the SW side ? Garfield Ridge? Clearing?

  • Clearwater, FL · Member since 2014 · 42 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    Don't quit! Ever! On anything! @Kenneth Goldman

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-cg0WDB8uI

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.