Am I too late to the game?

Am I too late to the game?

New to Real Estate · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 5 votes

I could use some honest advice. I'm 54 with a W-2 job at a non-profit organization and I honestly love my job and people I work with and for. I've spent the greater part of the past 5 years learning and educating myself in all things RE and investment. I've read all the books and listen to podcasts, as well as constantly scouring all the listings. I joined my local REI group, NCREIA a few months ago and it's been helpful in my RE education and caché. I have a fairly good idea of a strategy and ideal locations.

Here's my issue or at least the biggest. My husband is highly risk-averse. My risk tolerance is a little more moderate. He is also looking to retire in 5 years and has no desire to take on any debt - good or bad, nor does he have any desire to be a landlord or property manager. He is onboard as long as any investments we might entertain is financially feasible and that our assets might be protected from lawsuits. I want to be able to figure out how I might be able to invest in RE on my own - using my own income or LLC. I'm not at all deterred. I'm an AF veteran and so I have VA entitlement. I have great credit and a modest savings. I would, however, prefer to use OPM if that's still a thing.

If it's helpful, here's my why's. RE has been so fun and exciting to learn and follow even though I haven't even dipped my toe in! I want to be able to use all the knowledge I've garnered from my reading and research, podcasts, blogs, and relationships. I'm not ready to retire but when I am, I would love to be able to semi-retire/transition to RE investment and be able to add this as a means of wealth generation for our 2 kids. Additionally, it would be a way to help provide housing for people.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to chime in.

4Reply
172 views

Most Popular Reply

Ned CareyPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
1y

@Janet Anthony generally investments considered "Risky" like stocks and Real estate, tend to be risky short run  but less risky long run. Keep in mind once you retire you may stilll live another 30 years. That makes you a long term investor. 

Regarding Real estate and risk, most people will disagree with m y next statement But   .   .   .  Real estate is the riskiest investment you can make.  The really important thing to understand about real estate is you get to control your risk. The more knowledge you have the less risky it is.  Follow people like @Jay Hinrichs, @Don Konipol, @Joe Villeneuve, @Chris Seveney and many other here you will learn about the risks and how to avoid them. 

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    1.   Spouse and risk aversion.   Normally is due to lack of knowledge.  Lay your finances and life style out.  A.  Retirement needs., B. Retirement income sources., C. Cash needs by year.   Keep $xx,xxx in liquid cash equivalents. D.  Midterm investments. 3 to 5 years., E.  Longterm investments 5 years and longer.  

    Do a quick run thru. Don't get buried in the details up front. This will help both you and your spouse understand your risk and how much to invest in REI.

    2. Risk- investment loss. REI is generally not a zero sum game. You can't lose it all, "unless" you overextend. Or can't cashflow and have to cash out early in a downturn. Look at your investment and what if, the market went down 30%? What if you had to cash out early?

    3. Risk- lawsuit. LLC. Business insurance coverage. Contract review and property management policies. Personal umbrella policy.

    4.  Risk-  your first investment.  If some rehab do superficial only.   Flooring, landscaping, painting, windows, kitchen, bathroom.   Stay away from foundation and structural projects for your first one.  

    5.  Risk-  you will invest for cashflow and or value growth.  Do stress tests for both.  Occupancy is 70% versus 95%.   capex is $15,000 per year versus $5,000.   Slur growth- will you beat inflation?  Will you beat financial investment returns?

    6. Risk- never investing in REI. At some point pick a low risk easy exit investment and just do it. Might not be the best financial deal but you will move your REI education forward. And start to develop your team and systems.

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    REI deal considering risk issues and your existing resources.

    Change any assumption I make.  Since I don’t know your life.

    1.  If your kids are in the military teach and help them to use BAH to become millionaires by 40.

    2.  Use your kids as part of your investment strategy as renters.

    3.  Use military renters to reduce tenant risk  of damage, rent non payment, getting them out of the unit if issues come up.   Just call their commanding officer.

    4.  With your AF background and in the Raleigh area get your RE license and specialize in BAH housing deals.

    5.  Primary residence capital gains. 2 out of 5 years.  Use your current house and future residences and take advantage.  Just making this up, but you might have to do 10 rental units versus 1 primary flip to be equal after taxes.  

    6.  Cash snowball.  Recommend you do some primary residence flips or BRRRs to get your cash flow going.  Although you could invest with low downpayment recommend you don’t with higher interest rates.  To manage your cash flow.  
    7. Value add- look for 2/1 or 3/1 you can add an ADU room or bathroom. Can split a lot off.
    8. Baby Boomer REI investors. Find an investor who is ready to get out of the business. Start buying their properties. Give them solutions. 1031, installment sales for tax purposes, revenue stream for them, tired of managing, no RE fee, etc. Pick an area you would like to invest. Go on your city or county property GIS map. Start looking at properties in that area. Look at the bottom. They will list related PID properties. Look for someone who has a bunch. 10 or more. Look at those properties. Reach out to the owner and see if they would like to build a relationship and start transitioning their REI to you.

    9.  Older people-  during the lead fall and snows.   Drive the areas you like and see who doesn’t clean up.   Approach them.  Go to a great neighborhood and pick the worst house.  Look in the obituaries from a year or more ago.  Find their house and see if you can buy from who inherited.  Since they got stepped up basis, no tax issues.  Plus if kids they probably live far away and don’t want the house.

    10.  Look for daycares for sale or old small elementary buildings for sale.  Small flat roof churches. Convert to rentals.

    Look at your self and your assets/strengths. Look for an unfair advantage. With the high interest rates and the internet steam to do REI competition look for a different approach. Don't bid against the world on 3/2 properties.

  • Member since 2025 · 194 posts · 140 votes
    1y

    Welcome to the group!

    As you begin your journey into real estate investing and start shaping your investment strategy, it’s important to lay a strong foundation, one that goes beyond finding the right deals. Two critical areas that are often overlooked in the early stages are tax planning and asset protection. Addressing these upfront can make a significant difference in your long-term success and peace of mind.

    Proactive tax planning allows you to take full advantage of deductions, choose the optimal investment structure, and ultimately retain more of your income. By working with a qualified tax advisor who understands real estate, you can reduce your tax liability and reinvest more effectively as your portfolio grows.

    Just as vital is your asset protection strategy. Real estate carries inherent risks: lawsuits; creditor claims; and unexpected liabilities. Establishing the right legal entities and structures from the outset helps shield your personal assets, limit exposure, and put you in a stronger position should legal issues arise. This isn’t just about defense, it’s about creating the confidence to grow your investments with security and clarity.

    To do this well, consider partnering with professionals who specialize in real estate, including a knowledgeable CPA and an asset protection attorney who align with your long-term goals and risk tolerance. Having the right support team early on can save you time, money, and avoid costly missteps in the future.

    By focusing on these essential components now, you’re not only protecting yourself, you may also help ease your husband's concerns and build a more stable foundation for both of you.

    Wishing you all the best as you move forward—here’s to smart investing and long-term success!

    Disclaimer: This message is for informational and educational purposes only and should not be considered legal, tax, financial, or investment advice. No attorney-client, fiduciary, or advisory relationship is created by this communication. Always consult with qualified professionals familiar with your specific situation before making any decisions.

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 5 votes
    1y

    Thank you @Ashish Acharya, @Henry Clark, @E.J. McCaffrey for the thoughtful advice! Taking it all into consideration as I take my first steps. Ashish, I am definitely interested in the LLC checklist you mentioned please.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.