Opinions wanted re: plan for Columbus, Ohio- MTR

Opinions wanted re: plan for Columbus, Ohio- MTR

Columbus, OH · Member since 2025 · 25 posts · 30 votes

Hello! While it may be closer to 6+ mos until I'm ready to invest, I have been researching and learning all I can. I wanted to run this by y'all for thoughts/opinions. I'm thinking about possibly MTR's.... particularly looking to explore rentals for airline flight crew/crash pad? (I used to be a Flight Attendant.) Or, if not for that niche, traveling professionals in the downtown area of Columbus. I'd love some opinions on this idea, especially if someone can give insight to the Columbus market, near the airport. Or, downtown for traveling professionals. Does this sound like a good idea for someone new to investing (1st property)? Thanks for any feedback! 

5Reply
73 views

Most Popular Reply

Min ZhangBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y

Love that you’re thinking ahead and exploring creative strategies like MTRs, especially with your background in the airline world. Targeting flight crews or traveling professionals can definitely be a smart niche if you're near the right demand hubs like airports or hospitals.

For a first property, it can be a solid option as long as you run the numbers conservatively and plan for potential gaps between tenants. Furnishing, cleaning logistics, and utility costs are a bit different from long-term rentals, but very doable if you plan for it.

Sounds like you’re doing all the right prep, Melissa! happy to chat more and feel free to keep the convo going, just let me know!

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Melissa Adams:

    Hello! While it may be closer to 6+ mos until I'm ready to invest, I have been researching and learning all I can. I wanted to run this by y'all for thoughts/opinions. I'm thinking about possibly MTR's.... particularly looking to explore rentals for airline flight crew/crash pad? (I used to be a Flight Attendant.) Or, if not for that niche, traveling professionals in the downtown area of Columbus. I'd love some opinions on this idea, especially if someone can give insight to the Columbus market, near the airport. Or, downtown for traveling professionals. Does this sound like a good idea for someone new to investing (1st property)? Thanks for any feedback! 


     The market has been solid for MTR and STRs. I believe a lot of the pilots have been staying at the Junto for reference. It is about a 13-minute drive to the airport with the current traffic

  • Min ZhangBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Love that you’re thinking ahead and exploring creative strategies like MTRs, especially with your background in the airline world. Targeting flight crews or traveling professionals can definitely be a smart niche if you're near the right demand hubs like airports or hospitals.

    For a first property, it can be a solid option as long as you run the numbers conservatively and plan for potential gaps between tenants. Furnishing, cleaning logistics, and utility costs are a bit different from long-term rentals, but very doable if you plan for it.

    Sounds like you’re doing all the right prep, Melissa! happy to chat more and feel free to keep the convo going, just let me know!

  • Member since 2024 · 17 posts · 14 votes
    1y

    Melissa , I just decided to begin looking at Columbus, OH as an out of state investor.  Your thinking is giving me hope! I wish you the best of luck.  

  • New to Real Estate · Baton Rouge · Member since 2024 · 44 posts · 28 votes
    1y

    Hi Melissa. As far as medical professionals go I don’t think you can lose. Columbus has three level one trauma centers and those people ALWAYS need MTRs. Two are adult, and one children’s. Think about smaller spaces, like 1 or 2 bedrooms. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.