How much of my time would REI take up?

How much of my time would REI take up?

Member since 2026 · 6 posts · 0 votes

I work around 45-65 hours a week I just want to see if this is something I could do or will I have to open up time. I also want to know how flexible is scheduling and if there would be any scheduling problems with having a full-time job.

0Reply
204 views

Most Popular Reply

MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1w

45-65h is a large spread. I did live in rehabs and had a few LTRs while working 50-ish hours a week but I don’t think I could have added additional obligations if it was a true 65h work week. Using a property manager tends to burn up most of the profits and syndications just aren’t my jam. It required a decent level of distress tolerance but I was young and trying to increase my net worth. If I had known about low fee total stock market index funds back then I would be spending all my time at WCI and none here.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1w

    45-65h is a large spread. I did live in rehabs and had a few LTRs while working 50-ish hours a week but I don’t think I could have added additional obligations if it was a true 65h work week. Using a property manager tends to burn up most of the profits and syndications just aren’t my jam. It required a decent level of distress tolerance but I was young and trying to increase my net worth. If I had known about low fee total stock market index funds back then I would be spending all my time at WCI and none here.

  • Divin KanyamaBusiness Member
    Accountant · Seattle, WA · Member since 2025 · 361 posts · 133 votes
    1w

    @Braeden Hoff It’s definitely possible to start while working full time, but with a 45–65 hour workweek, you’ll need to be intentional with your time. Many tasks can be handled during evenings or weekends, but calls, appointments, and closings may require some daytime flexibility. I’d start small, block out a few consistent hours each week, and see whether the schedule feels sustainable before making any major changes. You may eventually need to free up more time or outsource certain tasks, but you do not necessarily have to leave your job to get started.

  • Dan NelsonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago and Kansas City · Member since 2016 · 95 posts · 85 votes
    1w

    You can absolutely do this with a full time job, and most first time landlords do exactly that. The honest breakdown from 20+ years of owning rentals:

    Owning a small rental, bought right, is a few hours a month. Rent comes by autopay. A good handyman's number handles most calls. The skill that keeps it small is buying right: real rents, real costs, and a set aside every month for repairs and empty weeks, so a broken furnace is a line item instead of an emergency.

    Some months are real work. A tenant turnover eats a weekend. That is the job, and the first year teaches you all of it.

    At 65 hour weeks I would keep it to one property, close to home, in solid shape, with straightforward tenants, and skip anything that needs a renovation. Buy the boring building. Boring is what fits next to a full time job. The building earns while you are at work, which is the entire point.

    For 22 doors, I spend about 3 hours a week. If you take no other advice: Find a platform or system for them to communicate and pay. Make them be the same. Communications go through the platform. Unless a fire or water is flowing into the unit, a handyman, a plumber, an electrician shows up. You introduce the renter to and tradesperson and they bill you. It is not hard. You just have to have guardrails and hold them to it.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    1w

    When first starting out, for years I worked a 50 hour job, with almost 10 hours of commuting, and still managed to squeeze 20-40 hours of rehabbing houses into that week. That wasn't around the clock - some weeks worse than others, and down time between wrecks - but it can be done. There were a lot of days where I left for work at 7, got home at 6, was over at the rehab by 7, and worked until midnight, got a quick shower and 6 hours sleep and did it again the next day. I was a lot younger and had more energy. These days that would probably kill me.

    Don't minimize what you give up while you're doing it - you better have a clear goal and plan ahead. I gave up a lot of weekends and vacation time to build my "empire". I also ended up being able to retire at 50.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.