How did YOU start out?

1 Reply

Hello BP,

As I'm looking to get my Real Estate career started in 3-6 months, I was curious to see how many of you guys started out in your investing careers.  I'm curious to see if most investors started as agents, lenders, lawyers, CPA's, contractors, wholesaling, or something not "Real Estate related". Or if you just jumped into investing with no real prior experience in the industry, that's something I'd like to know too!

The reason I'm asking is because I'll be moving across the country in two weeks (NY to Southern Texas) and I have options available to me as far as jobs are concerned, and if there a better place for me to start than another, I'd like to know before I dive in!

You're responses can be anything from one word to a paragraph explaining where you started.  Anything is appreciated!

I've always loved houses, but never knew why. Monopoly was my favorite board game as a child and I usually ended up owning the bank, but I never realized it could be done in real life. I got hooked on the house flipping shows in 2005, decided to get my brokers license so I could find and flip without actually working as a true sales agent. I flipped one house while working a full-time job. Wasn't really my thing. I bought a couple of additional houses to buy and hold. I love being a property manager, and plan to build my business managing for others in a few years. For now, I'm continuing my buy and hold strategy with the goal of having enough cash flow to replace my full-time income.

Best wishes to you as you venture into the world of real estate.

Ursula

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here