New investor and new to BP!

6 Replies

I'm a young investor that lives in Houston, TX with the goal of becoming a real estate investor. I will be going to my first real estate investment club meeting next month. Are there any suggestions on where I should start? I've taken a chunk of time to educate myself about real estate and would love to have a local mentor.

Welcome Derrick!  What area or real estate are you interested in?  Make sure you get active as quickly as possible to feed this passion for investing.  Don't let it die! 

Josh 

Hey Josh! I'm interested in notes and wholesaling to start out.

Hello @Derrick Emanuel   

Welcome to BiggerPockets, 

Great place to start learning. If you have any questions about the Houston area don't be afraid ask. 

My keys for me to getting started were getting educated and taking action. Have a balance between both but don't expect perfection in either.  Mistakes will be made but that's a critical part of the growth process.  Best of luck to you!

Welcome to Biggerpockets!

Just by coming on here you have started. This website has TONS of great advise! We specialize in buy and hold investments :) There is lots of ways to get started and tons of resource on this site and other sites. The key is to define your goals and the means you wanted to do. We got started through personal properties. We wanted to do as little down as possible while still being able to invest into rentals. We use a realtor but buy distressed properties (short sales and foreclosures) 

This is an awesome place to meet fellow investors . We are buy and hold investors and have learned alot by just exploring different markets. We got started a 23 and 25 buy buying a personal property and turning into rentals when my husband was transferred. We also worked hard at our careers using that income to too. We would live off of one of our salary and invest the other one!

Another great place is to look around the blogs, forums and listen to the podcasts. If you see a post you enjoy check out the persons signature. Many of us including myself talk about our strategies, styles, niches and business model on our website. So definitely check that out as it is an amazing additional resource. For example, my blog is about while working full time, buy and hold investing, 0% Down Rentals, Personal Properties turned rentals, Long distancing investing, self-managing 3,000+ miles away. Definitely list your blog or website in your signature, if you have one. Its a great additional networking source.

Look forward to seeing you around! Let me know if I can help!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.