• Santa Clarita, CA
Votes |
Cash Flow vs. Appreciation

Will Barnard
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
ModeratorPosted Aug 3 2008, 10:45

Many have argued/claimed here on BP that cash flow on residential properties is of vital importance and investors can not put food on the table with appreciation. I disagree. Once you have built a business with many rentals, you could sell one or two, or as many as necessary each year grabbing the gains from it to live off. This is not to say that you should not have positive cash flow on residential properties, you should. Only to say that it is not the only income source form the property.

Another claim is that you must buy at huge discounts to turn a profit in residential RE. Although I agree getting a huge discount is advantageous, it is not the ONLY way. Just because you buy a sfr for $30k and it appraises for $50k, does not assure you have 40% equity, nor does it assure you will turn a profit on the sell down the road. In fact, in many cases, the $30k you paid is all it is really worth and the so called equity in that area will vanish. What is important is the demographic studies: Strong diverse economy, strong job grwoth, improvement in infrastructure, strong potential appreciation, reduced vacancy trends, ratio of supply & demand, and an undervalued market.

I have read here that some buy in lower income areas at 60% of the current value in places that show poor demographics where population is decreasing and jobs are leaving. So just because you can buy at 60% of value today and turn positive cash flow, does not assure a profit down the road. Who will rent the unit when the supply beats demand and when there are no jobs.

I understand and believe that becoming wealthy from cash flow on residential properties is most likely not going to happen. True wealth is obtained from the appreciation and many tax benefits from residential RE investing. Although I beleive in cash flow, and always strive for it, the true ultimate goal is to eventually sell the residential property for large gains and defer/avoid taxes as permitted by law.

Commercial property is where wealth and long term residual income lives. When purchasing a commercial property, in essence, you are buying the cash flow. In fact, it is valued based on it's performance and not what the unit down the street sold for (comps) like residential is.

Loading replies...