Newbie question HomeAway, Air BnB, VRBO, Austin, TX

Newbie question HomeAway, Air BnB, VRBO, Austin, TX

McKinney, TX · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 0 votes

I am thinking about buying a house in Austin. It will eventually be our primary residence, but, because we are in a lease situation until next year I wanted to put it on HomeAway or something similar to cover the mortgage, etc. until we are able to move in. Anybody out there from Austin have experience, good or bad, with that? The house is in Travis Heights.

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 87 posts · 73 votes
11y

my wife and I have a few around town.

Travis Heights is a good area. And if it's your primary residence, permits are not an issue.

Pm me if I can help.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 87 posts · 73 votes
    11y

    my wife and I have a few around town.

    Travis Heights is a good area. And if it's your primary residence, permits are not an issue.

    Pm me if I can help.

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Tress Pearce

    BP is a treasure chest full of resources. You will find resources here from blogs to pod casts and forums. You can also send messages to members which is my favorite part of the website.

  • Investor, Residential Construction · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 56 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    @Tress Pearce, pay close attention to anything Scott Sutherland says regarding VRBO. He is a pioneer on the subject here in Austin.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 105 posts · 23 votes
    11y

    I'll second that @Scott Sutherland has the most experience and knowledge in Austin. 

    There is certainly no way to cover your costs with a standard lease in Travis Heights. So, it is good that you are being creative. Depending on how much effort you want to put in, you can also make money on the mid term rentals of a month or two. They take much less effort. 

  • McKinney, TX · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Great! Thank you, all, for the good advice.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.