Newbie starting out, need critiques/advice on my gameplan

Newbie starting out, need critiques/advice on my gameplan

New London, NC · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 0 votes

I recently inherited a "pig" that's not going to appreciate much. It cashflows right now, but mostly just becuase I own it free and clear. I don't see it as a good long-term hold at all. I've been reading forums for the past few months, and I'm pretty confident in my plan. I wanted to see what you guys thought of it.

1) Fix up the old house (5k-10k rehab), then refinance it and deal with the fact that I might not make much cashflow on it in exchange for the 40k-50k that I'll be able to reinvest.

I can also just do nothing to do it, take the cashflow it has now and wait a year or so to build up reserves. Or I could just sell it.

I think refinancing it is the riskier play, as the house has a lot of issues and there's no telling what could go wrong. Refinancing puts me in a much better position to leverage though, and build my portfolio faster.

2) FHA into a multi-family. Preferably with a 203k so I can get something undervalued. This will probably be in the 300k-500k range, and make up the bulk value of my portfolio.

3) Set aside some cash for CapEx reserves, and take the extra cash and work on growing a portfolio using the BRRRR method, with a focus on Cashflow (Mid-range SFR's most likely. Maybe some small Multi-fam's.)

I am in my 50's and make roughly ~150k a year and have NO Debt right now. So banks are all calling me, haha. My focus is on growing cashflow ASAP so I can fund my retirement in the future.

How does this sound? Any comments or advice?

0Reply
27 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 114 votes
    10y

    Welcome to Biggerpockets @Joseph Burke

  • Hartsdale, NY · Member since 2015 · 874 posts · 218 votes
    10y

    Don't really understand this.  How much is the house worth or the appraised value.  If you put the $15,000 dollars worth of rehab into it what will the after valuation be?
    what is the rent roll or income right now. and what will it be after the rehab?  What do the real estate agents say about your house's before and after ??

  • Rental Property Investor · Ripon, WI - US · Member since 2015 · 70 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    Can you sell the house for more than you would pay for it if you were to buy it as a rental? If so sell it. If not keep it and refinance it to purchace more properties. Make sure that you do your numbers very carefully to make sure you are making a good investment.

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Joseph Burke

    BP is full of useful resources such as forums and blogs. Welcome to the Bigger Pockets community-be sure to check out all the awesome BP blogs under “Learn.”

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.