How to find a decent REI group/club/association?

How to find a decent REI group/club/association?

Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2009 · 456 posts · 123 votes

I am located in NYC, and would like to get involved with a good local REI group or maybe even a few. Any advise on where I can find them, or does anyone know of a good one? I have tried searching quite a bit but most of the ones I find seem to be mostly composed of people with little or no experience (ie, NYC FLIPPIN - meeting location: Jason's basement friday nights, brooklyn) Not that I'm trying to be a snob but I want to try to reach for a group that's very professional so I can learn things from them, not surround myself with peers who have no real experience or wisdom and have the same questions I do.

Thanks!

0Reply
36 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    17y

    We've got a directory of real estate clubs here on BP.

    If there isn't one that looks/sounds interesting, why not start creating your own gatherings? You can use our events system to plan and organize it.

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 447 votes
    17y

    The other thing to watch for is the club’s agenda. Some of them are formed for the sole purpose of selling you something. Quite often you won’t find that out until you attend.

    There have been many articles written about clubs on the Bigger Pockets Blog, you may wish to search there as well.

    :cool:

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2009 · 456 posts · 123 votes
    17y

    Joshua, I checked that but honestly, those are mostly all fake or dead. I tried every single one that's in or near NYC. For example, try going to:

    http://www.bigapplereia.com/
    http://www.nycreia.com/
    http://www.realproperty-unlmted.com/

    they are all bougs x(

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 447 votes
    17y

    You may also wish to try meetup.com. They have all sorts of groups across the country, both business and social.

    :cool:

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    17y

    Wow Corey -
    It looks like the housing bubble killed off a bunch of clubs. Thanks for the update. I'll go through and get rid of the dead clubs. That just blows my mind.

    Regardless, Rich is right about Meetup groups, and again, setting one up right here would be another great way to get going.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    Hi. You might try "LinkedIn.com". They have specialty groups around the globe and in any locality. Have you considered calling Donald Trump? Just kidding about the Donald, but some other successful investor (see classified ads) might consider taking you under wing in exchange for your time stuffing envelopes or distributing flyers. In fact, I'm following my own advice and looking for a personal mentor myself. Good luck to you! -- Rhonda

    [website removed]

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.