Getting the right contact info for property owner/seller

Getting the right contact info for property owner/seller

Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 13 votes

Hello. I just started learning about REI last week and I've decided to do it. Lots to learn.

I'm in Los Angeles County, CA.

Let's say I see a property I would like to buy or wholesale. How do I get the correct address for a property owner so I can send a yellow letter? Can I find this online? I don't want to send letters to the renter.

Also, do the lists from listsource.com give you the HOME address of a rental property owner? Or just the actual property address?

Thanks!

0Reply
32 views

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2016 · 543 posts · 281 votes
    10y

    Hello @Shaun Pruett! Welcome to the BP Community!

    When you purchase a list from ListSource you can choose to receive the full address for the property address and the mailing address. In some cases, such as an absentee list, those two addresses are different. And most people will say those are the addresses you want because those seem to have high motivation. The mailing address does not necessarily mean it will be the home address of the owner, though it may be. I would recommend selecting to get both addresses if you purchase from ListSource.

    As for your other inquiry, in some cases, yes you can find that information online. I would recommend searching the forums to see how others in LA County have found the addresses. There are sure to be different ways depending on your starting point: D4D, piece of returned mail, etc. 

    Hope that helps! Happy investing!

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    @clairetrammell thank you for the response. The info you provided about ListSource is helpful. I appreciate it! 

    Sounds like I'll have better odds of getting the data by ordering BOTH lists.

    Thanks again.

  • Abel CurielBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Queens, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Hello Shaun and welcome to BP!

    Great to read a forum post like this. Glad you're diving right in and taking action. If you haven't already done so, get a google voice account and make sure your answering message is set up in a way that it allows you to sort through the calls effectively.

    Best of luck to you!

    -Abel

    REbuild Team - eXp Realty5234 Reviews
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    Thanks, Abel!

  • Investor · Truckee, CA · Member since 2013 · 546 posts · 445 votes
    10y

    @Shaun Pruett, The first thing you need to determine is whether the property is owner occupied or not. If it is you can just use the property address, if not then you will want to use the address the tax assessor mails the tax bills to - typically owners keep that address updated so that they get their tax bills.

    To determine whether or not it is owner occupied, there are 2 data driven approaches, and 1 old fashioned approach (knock on the door and ask). The data drive approaches are: 1) compare the situs address to the mailing address at the tax assessors office. If they are different then assume the property is not owner occupied. Not always accurate as the person may just prefer to get their bills at their office, but generally works. Or 2) check with the tax assessor to see if the owner get the primary residence tax exemption, which only owner occupants qualify for. Again not perfect, but generally works.

    In CA unfortunately the counties aren't very good about making this data available online, so you either need to go to their office in person, or use a 3rd party service, which I and others offer. If you want the occupancy status and address of a bunch of properties, Listsource would work. But if you are trying to figure out where to mail for one property there are better options from multiple companies.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    @seanotoole

    Thanks for the insights.

    I did some research on LA County and found the link below. Looks like data is available online as a paid service.

    http://assessor.lacounty.gov/online-property-datab..

    Thanks, again!

  • Rental Property Investor · St Louis, MO · Member since 2010 · 317 posts · 72 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Sean OToole:

    Sean, what have you found is the most effective script to lead in to talking to a homeowner when you knock on their door to inquire? 

  • Rental Property Investor · St Louis, MO · Member since 2010 · 317 posts · 72 votes
    10y

    @Sean OToole

    The @ feature sometimes doesn't work, so adding this so it pings you. :)

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    @paulwinka, thanks for the question.

    Door knocking is a few steps down the path for me. I'm still learning and preparing to launch. Been at it for just a week now.

    Off the top of my head, I think I'd simply make a friendly introduction and briefly describe what I do. Then try to ask some questions to learn about them and their involvement with the property. I'd listen for cues that might help me show them how I might help them. If their not the owner I'd ask for the owner or property manager's contact info.

    --

    Off topic, how do you do the @member thing? I tried but it didn't create a link.

    Thanks!

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    Ha! @paulwinka I think you sent the follow up re the @ while I was replying to your question. Thanks!

  • Investor · Truckee, CA · Member since 2013 · 546 posts · 445 votes
    10y

    @Paul Winka good question, having access to the data, I don't usually have to use the old fashioned way. ;-) But seriously, the key to door knocking, imho, is that you have to give to get. Perhaps: "I'm a local investor/landlord/property manager. Do own or rent? I have some suggestions that might help you out". That sounds a bit cheesy, but you get the idea. Just be prepared to actually have some suggestions, and follow up questions from there. Another alternative is to notice a bumper sticker, boat, car, or something else out front that you are knowledgable about and can strike up a conversation around. To the degree you can build trust, then the "do you mind if I ask..." sort of questions go a lot easier.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    I agree. Trust is key!

  • Rental Property Investor · St Louis, MO · Member since 2010 · 317 posts · 72 votes
    10y

    @Sean OToole

    Good suggestions, thanks. 

    Now that I think about it, my approach would be to ask that homeowner if he knew anyone that was considering selling their house on the same street, or just asking about a house within eyesight. That might just segue into talking about selling his own house. 

    Just like the breakings eggs / omelette analogy, the saying in real estate should be that become successful, you must be willing to have a few doors slammed in your face. :) 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.