Feeling hopeless. I need help

Feeling hopeless. I need help

anywhere, MA · Member since 2015 · 116 posts · 61 votes

I want to buy a duplex and live in one of the units. My ultimate goal is to have a portfolio of real estate and be wealthy, but I want to start with a duplex I can live in. If I had $20-$35K I could start this path of financial freedom, but saving that much would take years and years. I want to start now while I'm 26. I took a home buyer 101 class that gave me a certificate that acts as the down payment for a house in Boston, but houses up there are too expensive. I wanted to take another class to get the certificate, but to take a multifamily home buying class and in the south coast where I live, but there are none available. I've thought about crowdfunding and looking for investors but i dont know...I feel like I know where I want to go but I cant because I dont have the money to get started. What can I do to get down payment and closing costs money so I can buy my first duplex while young?

4Reply
267 views

Most Popular Reply

Malden, MA · Member since 2016 · 112 posts · 63 votes
10y
Also considering taking a step back over the next year/2 and really start saving for investing. Whether that means moving in with parents, getting a roommate to lower living expenses and cut back on eating out/going out. patience is a virtue and we all want to be wealthy and financially free but sometimes we gotta just go through the struggle and stack up so we can get in the game like some of those who didn't have to struggle
See this reply in the discussion

61 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Malden, MA · Member since 2016 · 112 posts · 63 votes
    10y
    Look into NACA loans. Or grind and drive for dollars in hopes of finding someone who will seller finance
  • Malden, MA · Member since 2016 · 112 posts · 63 votes
    10y
    Also considering taking a step back over the next year/2 and really start saving for investing. Whether that means moving in with parents, getting a roommate to lower living expenses and cut back on eating out/going out. patience is a virtue and we all want to be wealthy and financially free but sometimes we gotta just go through the struggle and stack up so we can get in the game like some of those who didn't have to struggle
  • Investor · Upton, MA · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    Be sure to read Brandon's book, "The Book on Investing in Real Estate with No (and low) Money Down" available from Bigger Pockets or Amazon.com.  And another great one available on Amazon is "Getting the Money" by Susan Lassiter-Lyons.  Either of these will open up a whole new world for you with plenty of available options.  Just get out there and do it.  These strategies really do work.  Good Luck!

  • Investor · Queens , NY · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    I just read Brandon's book no money down. Shows you ways of getting deals done hard money private money and partnerships basically creative financing. I recommend you check it out I'm in sort of the same position as you are in homes in my are really expensive therefore I'm looking for another market to invest in
  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    We bought our first house at 23 and 5 years later have 8 houses. One of the things we did was live very frugally and increase our net worth. I worked extra jobs, lived in in law suites etc. Can you dramatically decrease your expenses and increase your income to come up with that kind of money?

    When looking at loans don't forget about the FHA. Its 3.5% down and they do allow multis? I know it is tough but honestly, sacrificing alot when we were younger, helped us get the small down payments needed to get the ball rolling.

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    Have you checked into any programs locally that will cover the downpayment? Ask a good agent or mortgage broker in your area. There are programs for first time home buyers and a duplex may be considered as your first home..you need to ask and find out.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Elizabeth Colegrove:

    We bought our first house at 23 and 5 years later have 8 houses. One of the things we did was live very frugally and increase our net worth. I worked extra jobs, lived in in law suites etc. Can you dramatically decrease your expenses and increase your income to come up with that kind of money?

    When looking at loans don't forget about the FHA. Its 3.5% down and they do allow multis? I know it is tough but honestly, sacrificing alot when we were younger, helped us get the small down payments needed to get the ball rolling.

     Sorry to mess with your post Elizabeth, but I thought part of it needed emboldened :) . Unless you have a rich uncle, or plan on winning the lottery, you're going to have to work to get some money and bring in more money than you need to survive, such that you can bank the difference. 

    I've said it on here before: if I were going back in time, I would buy a dump to live in, fix it up, sell it/rent it out, go live in my van until I found another place, rinse, repeat. 

    Don't feel lost. Get a second job. Or eliminate all of your expenses. I'd concentrate less on figuring out how to do things with no money than I would on getting some extra money. Wealth begets wealth - your first dollars will always be the hardest to earn. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • anywhere, MA · Member since 2015 · 116 posts · 61 votes
    10y

    Thanks everyone for your advice. I forgot to mention in my post, I used to save $800/mo for my house and lived with my mother. But now that I have to pay rent my monthly savings have been cut in half. All my life I've worked hard and have struggled. I accomplish everything I want to do. I just didnt want to be old when I did buy a house. I'll consider a second job. Thanks again. 

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    Chin up! From what I've read, not practiced, wholesaling is an option to help raise capital. It does require you to know all faucets of REI so that's always an option. As you accumulate properties your financing options grow: LOC, HELOC, 401K Loan, cashout refi, partnerships. Don't let this get you down!

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    Let me also add house hacking and 203K loans in that mix too.

  • Engineer · Allentown, PA · Member since 2014 · 105 posts · 64 votes
    10y

    Definitely look into FHA. You can use seller assist to finance the closing costs. If you can save up even 5-10k, you could get yourself into a 2-4 unit building for 150k. If its the right building, the other units should cover your rent if not more. That leaves the money you were spending on rent for other stuff

  • anywhere, MA · Member since 2015 · 116 posts · 61 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mark B.:

    Definitely look into FHA. You can use seller assist to finance the closing costs. If you can save up even 5-10k, you could get yourself into a 2-4 unit building for 150k. If its the right building, the other units should cover your rent if not more. That leaves the money you were spending on rent for other stuff

     Wow, that sounds really doable. I think I can save $10k by sometime next year. I feel a lot more hopeful now!

  • Engineer · Allentown, PA · Member since 2014 · 105 posts · 64 votes
    10y

    Good! Glad to hear!!

    Depending on the market in your area, you could even find houses cheaper and need less money but don't forget about reserve money. I'm looking for my first deal right now using FHA and at first I was trying to use all of my money towards buying it but then I would have been left with nothing for emergencies. I had to cut back on what I wanted, but I think i should be better off now (whenever i end up getting a property!)

  • anywhere, MA · Member since 2015 · 116 posts · 61 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mark B.:

    Good! Glad to hear!!

    Depending on the market in your area, you could even find houses cheaper and need less money but don't forget about reserve money. I'm looking for my first deal right now using FHA and at first I was trying to use all of my money towards buying it but then I would have been left with nothing for emergencies. I had to cut back on what I wanted, but I think i should be better off now (whenever i end up getting a property!)

     I think I can find some multifamily homes at $150K if they're foreclosed. Do you know much about foreclosed homes? Would that be a good idea or not?

  • Investor · Sunnyside, Queens, NY · Member since 2015 · 213 posts · 159 votes
    10y
    Yes there are ways to buy with little money down. Personally I would always suggest to have a good sized down payment for your first place. That means having savings. How are your personal finances? Are you doing everything you can to make good money? Cutting back on expenses. Lots of personal finance blogs out there. It takes sacrifice. I stayed with my parents for five years when I first started working even though I made over 100k each year; and I was able to save up over $80k for a down payment. I was 21 and worked a FT job and two side gigs. Sacrifice and focus can get you there. Good luck!
  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2016 · 91 posts · 46 votes
    10y

    Your rate of savings have to match your area of investment. Yes, I've listened to these podcasts where you can use a credit card to buy out a mortgage/piece of property for 800 dollars; I can pretty much assure you that these are about as viable and frequent as sighting the dodo bird in the NYC market. 

    The traditional route is 20% down 80% finance, , gives you about 500k purchasing power with 100k down.

    Foreclosed homes generally require a cash payment; if you don't know any special lending partners who can bridge loan you that amount, your going to have to find some way to come up with the whole amount. 

    The chances of finding a foreclosed multi for 150k in the boston area.... see dodo bird reference. 

    If saving up 20-30k would take years, you have to start with some less likely choices in the investment world- 1. Work smarter (i.e. get a higher paying job to make more money) 2. work harder (work more hours/work more jobs) . Getting a RE license and selling homes is a great way to make some extra money (commission) while getting to see properties and neighborhoods. 

    Cut expenses. Eat healthy, but don't eat out. There's a formula I use for whether to buy, make, or do myself; If I can make more money doing something else, then I buy. If I can make more money by fixing it or doing it myself, then I do it. You have 24 hours in a day. Assume you sleep 8, 2 for hygiene and bodily actions, a regular 8 hour job, leaves you with a total of 6 hours of "free" time; which then you must subtract every other part of your day; commuting, grocery shopping, laundry, etc.

    Now if you can use those 6 hours to make money that you would otherwise save, it make sense.

    Here is some good info from somewhere else (in 2013):

    "It's Literally Not Worth His Time to Pick Up a Dropped $100 Bill From the Ground. With a worth of $72 billion, a 6% rate of return would earn Gates roughly $114.16 per second he is alive, making it a poor investment for Bill Gates to bother picking up a $100 bill if he dropped it"

    People who live in NYC (manhattan) pay huge rents/taxes etc; but their savings of 2 hours a day commuting is 2 hours more of making money; whether it be more relaxed, or more profitable. They dry clean their shirts and send out their laundry. Its cheaper than doing it themselves.They have a doorman receive it for them and put it in their apartment; it would cost them more money to pick it up themselves. They don't do their own oil changes. They don't even clean their own homes. They don't decide whats for dinner, or even cook dinner, unless its fun for them, because they hire a personal chef to take care of it. The nanny takes care of the kids. They take charter flights, because showing up 3 hours early for a flight is just a waste of time and money. They take a car service or have a personal driver because finding parking and focusing their brain on driving takes away from their profitability.

    While that is a bit extreme, time management, and the ability to decide where money should be spent, and where time is BETTER spent is one of those "7" habits of successful people. 

  • Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    Hey, Rashelle.

    I just wanted to tell you that you are not alone. The reality is for any type of investing, it will take some kind of money to make money. Even with the low money down strategies I'm considering, the reality is I'll still need some for closing costs and some type of reasonable down payment (not necessairily 10's of thousands of dollars, but enough to show good faith).

    It's dawned on me that it's hard to make things click without that in place. While I could borrow (I doon't feel comfortable enough to do that yet) I've decided to apply the brakes a bit and gather some capital so I can come out guns ablazin' in due time.

    I say be patient and trust yourself to do the right thing. If you feel better borrowing and getting started, I say do it. If you feel better slowing down a tad and saving some capital, I say do it.

    We'll get there in due time.

  • anywhere, MA · Member since 2015 · 116 posts · 61 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Rick Wang:

    Your rate of savings have to match your area of investment. Yes, I've listened to these podcasts where you can use a credit card to buy out a mortgage/piece of property for 800 dollars; I can pretty much assure you that these are about as viable and frequent as sighting the dodo bird in the NYC market. 

    The traditional route is 20% down 80% finance, , gives you about 500k purchasing power with 100k down.

    Foreclosed homes generally require a cash payment; if you don't know any special lending partners who can bridge loan you that amount, your going to have to find some way to come up with the whole amount. 

    The chances of finding a foreclosed multi for 150k in the boston area.... see dodo bird reference. 

    If saving up 20-30k would take years, you have to start with some less likely choices in the investment world- 1. Work smarter (i.e. get a higher paying job to make more money) 2. work harder (work more hours/work more jobs) . Getting a RE license and selling homes is a great way to make some extra money (commission) while getting to see properties and neighborhoods. 

    Cut expenses. Eat healthy, but don't eat out. There's a formula I use for whether to buy, make, or do myself; If I can make more money doing something else, then I buy. If I can make more money by fixing it or doing it myself, then I do it. You have 24 hours in a day. Assume you sleep 8, 2 for hygiene and bodily actions, a regular 8 hour job, leaves you with a total of 6 hours of "free" time; which then you must subtract every other part of your day; commuting, grocery shopping, laundry, etc.

    Now if you can use those 6 hours to make money that you would otherwise save, it make sense.

    Here is some good info from somewhere else (in 2013):

    "It's Literally Not Worth His Time to Pick Up a Dropped $100 Bill From the Ground. With a worth of $72 billion, a 6% rate of return would earn Gates roughly $114.16 per second he is alive, making it a poor investment for Bill Gates to bother picking up a $100 bill if he dropped it"

    People who live in NYC (manhattan) pay huge rents/taxes etc; but their savings of 2 hours a day commuting is 2 hours more of making money; whether it be more relaxed, or more profitable. They dry clean their shirts and send out their laundry. Its cheaper than doing it themselves.They have a doorman receive it for them and put it in their apartment; it would cost them more money to pick it up themselves. They don't do their own oil changes. They don't even clean their own homes. They don't decide whats for dinner, or even cook dinner, unless its fun for them, because they hire a personal chef to take care of it. The nanny takes care of the kids. They take charter flights, because showing up 3 hours early for a flight is just a waste of time and money. They take a car service or have a personal driver because finding parking and focusing their brain on driving takes away from their profitability.

    While that is a bit extreme, time management, and the ability to decide where money should be spent, and where time is BETTER spent is one of those "7" habits of successful people. 

     1. I don't just have $800. I said I saved $800/mo until I had to start paying rent. Saving $800/mo is great and many people dont even do that. I'm still saving and I will get to my savings goal.

    2. The traditional route is 20% down, but many people dont follow the traditional route. Many people start on FHA loans and buy a duplex, live in the units and use that duplex to buy a 2nd home, and that works well for them. That's what I'm going to do.

    3. I already said in my post I am not trying to get a house in Boston because it's too expensive. I said I am buying in southcoast MA. I already found a $150k foreclosed home in my area. That's why I said it. So, your "dodo bird" references are unnecessary. 

    4. It would take a couple years to save $20k. Not everyone makes 100k a year and you need to understand that. That doesnt mean I should look for other investment avenues. And I will not. Investing in real estate is what I will do. It is what I want to do and it is what is right for me. Even if it takes a couple years to save, it is still for me and it will give me financial freedom.


    I do work very hard, and I make money on the side producing music videos (one of my passions) in addition to working full-time. As far as the this other stuff you wrote, I'm not going to change the way I eat. But I already know about the paths to success as I read articles and blogs all the time. I live my life in a way that helps me achieve my goals, but I also live my life in a way I enjoy as well which is very important to me. The issue is I didnt want to wait, I wanted it now. But I will be financially free. And it will be through real estate. 

  • anywhere, MA · Member since 2015 · 116 posts · 61 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jonathan Weeks:

    Hey, Rashelle.

    I just wanted to tell you that you are not alone. The reality is for any type of investing, it will take some kind of money to make money. Even with the low money down strategies I'm considering, the reality is I'll still need some for closing costs and some type of reasonable down payment (not necessairily 10's of thousands of dollars, but enough to show good faith).

    It's dawned on me that it's hard to make things click without that in place. While I could borrow (I doon't feel comfortable enough to do that yet) I've decided to apply the brakes a bit and gather some capital so I can come out guns ablazin' in due time.

    I say be patient and trust yourself to do the right thing. If you feel better borrowing and getting started, I say do it. If you feel better slowing down a tad and saving some capital, I say do it.

    We'll get there in due time.

     Thanks Jonathan, I appreciate this! I'll be more patient and continue saving. I will get there in due time. Good luck to you!

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @JD Martin:
    Originally posted by @Elizabeth Colegrove:

    We bought our first house at 23 and 5 years later have 8 houses. One of the things we did was live very frugally and increase our net worth. I worked extra jobs, lived in in law suites etc. Can you dramatically decrease your expenses and increase your income to come up with that kind of money?

    When looking at loans don't forget about the FHA. Its 3.5% down and they do allow multis? I know it is tough but honestly, sacrificing alot when we were younger, helped us get the small down payments needed to get the ball rolling.

     Sorry to mess with your post Elizabeth, but I thought part of it needed emboldened :) . Unless you have a rich uncle, or plan on winning the lottery, you're going to have to work to get some money and bring in more money than you need to survive, such that you can bank the difference. 

    I've said it on here before: if I were going back in time, I would buy a dump to live in, fix it up, sell it/rent it out, go live in my van until I found another place, rinse, repeat. 

    Don't feel lost. Get a second job. Or eliminate all of your expenses. I'd concentrate less on figuring out how to do things with no money than I would on getting some extra money. Wealth begets wealth - your first dollars will always be the hardest to earn. 

    @jd martin - Love the part that you highlighted!

    Can I say that I agree! Houses have been stupid expensive right now, so I am living on boat. I am an investor with 8 houses, yet since none of them are where we are for my husband job, I am living on a boat lol.

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Raeshelle Cooke HUH? "I took a home buyer 101 class that gave me a certificate that acts as the down payment for a house in Boston, but houses up there are too expensive. I wanted to take another class to get the certificate,..."

    I assume you believe what you have written, but IMO, that's all dream land & smoke and mirrors.  No bank will take your certificate - - as anything of value, let alone as a substitute for a downpayment.

    There is a document POF (proof of funds) and that says you actually have funds on deposit somewhere. The other document of interest is the Letter of PreApprovial, where the bank underwriting department states in writing, they will grant a loan, to you, for a mortgage no larger than xxx, using terms a,b and the property appraises for the FMV.

    So, to help the BP community, what class did you take and what is the title on the certificate?

  • anywhere, MA · Member since 2015 · 116 posts · 61 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jeff B.:

    @Raeshelle Cooke HUH? "I took a home buyer 101 class that gave me a certificate that acts as the down payment for a house in Boston, but houses up there are too expensive. I wanted to take another class to get the certificate,..."

    I assume you believe what you have written, but IMO, that's all dream land & smoke and mirrors.  No bank will take your certificate - - as anything of value, let alone as a substitute for a downpayment.

    There is a document POF (proof of funds) and that says you actually have funds on deposit somewhere. The other document of interest is the Letter of PreApprovial, where the bank underwriting department states in writing, they will grant a loan, to you, for a mortgage no larger than xxx, using terms a,b and the property appraises for the FMV.

    So, to help the BP community, what class did you take and what is the title on the certificate?

    Why would I not believe what I've written...? 

    I'm at work so I dont have the certificate to look at. The certificate doesnt matter to me anymore. I dont want to buy a home in Boston and they told me I could only use it to buy in Boston. The certificate qualifies people for first-time homebuyer programs and funds. The classes are no "dreams and smoke and mirrors", I don't fall for that. They're legit classes from chapa.org and I learned a lot from them. Just don't want to buy in Boston. 

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    chapa.org/looking-housing identifies several classes

     My experiences has been that FTB(first time buyer programs) are effective and useful to buy an SFR - - did this myself. Maybe someone on BP has an experience for a duplex or a 2-4plex they might share.

    The comment "a certificate that acts as the down payment" is of great concern to me.

  • anywhere, MA · Member since 2015 · 116 posts · 61 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jeff B.:

    chapa.org/looking-housing identifies several classes

     My experiences has been that FTB(first time buyer programs) are effective and useful to buy an SFR - - did this myself. Maybe someone on BP has an experience for a duplex or a 2-4plex they might share.

    The comment "a certificate that acts as the down payment" is of great concern to me.

     I dont know what you're concerned about, but the person who taught the class said that it acts as a down payment. I was just repeating her. You dont need to be concerned about me though. I'm going to do very well in this. 

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    Don't close your mind to contrary ideas - - they may be useful at some point in time.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.