Finding a mentor

3 Replies

Almost every educational venue I have encountered encourages me to find a mentor. I am wanting to know how to find a local mentor in the Augusta, Ga. area and how to broach the topic of them mentoring me?

@Damien Stowers  

Join a local REIA and look for the veterans. More often than not, they will be happy to offer some advice and encouragement. Broaching the topic of mentoring kind of happens naturally when you share your goals and build rapport.

Damien, if you're looking for mentors to learn from, I would highly recommend frequenting the local investor meet up opportunities. I'm a novice myself, but I've found a plenty of folks to learn from and work with at the local REIA and AORE sessions. Show up regularly, ask questions, and let people know what you're interested in working on. Best of luck - look forward to seeing you at one of the meetings!

In my experience, people rarely enter into a formal mentor/mentee relationship.  In other words, you don't walk up to someone and say, "hi, could you be my mentor".  Instead, you're really looking for a professional relationship where you both gain some value from each other.

I'd recommend you join your local real estate investment club.  There's plenty to choose from, just run a Google search and go to a few meetings.  Strike up a friendly conversation with some of the other members and, when the opportunity presents itself (and it will) freely offer your time to help someone with a current project.  

You might offer to stuff envelopes for an upcoming yellow letter campaign, or drive to a property and take pictures, or pick up a hammer and help with a rehab.  The point, is that you're giving your time freely FIRST.  Give, give, give, and then ask for something in return...although you most likely won't have to because they'll be asking how they can help you.

Do this for a month or two and I PROMISE you'll have a worthwhile mentor.  Good luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.