Newbie? How to Buy Your First Deal

Newbie? How to Buy Your First Deal

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes

I was a newbie once (back in 2003) and I was so scared to buy my first deal. It was overwhelming as well since there were so many things you have to think about.

Today, buying a house is "routine" for me. I built a real estate company that has 7 full time employees and we buy 1-2 houses a week (some wholesale, some lease options and some are fix-n-flips). Just today for example, we are closing on 2 deals today (Virginia Glen Ellyn and Wesley in Berwyn) and I am not even in these closings (since I have a team).

Anyway, if you're a newbie and you have not bought your first deal yet, let me simplify the process for you so you're on your way to BUYING your first deal.

Step 1: Line up CASH and your FINANCING - this has always been a debate: which one do you do first: find a deal or find the money? A year or two ago, I would say line up a good deal first. However, given how competitive the market is now, you should line up your cash and financing first. Why? Because if you can show a broker you have cash in your bank account and you've lined up financing from a hard money lender and a conventional lender, then the broker will know you can close a deal. If you can't proof up (or provide proof of funds by showing your bank account statement), then brokers and wholesalers won't deal with you.

How do you get the cash?

I wrote a post on how a newbie can get $40,000 or more through an unsecured BUSINESS LINE OF CREDIT. In fact, the title of the post is How You Can Fix-n-Flip with $0 Cash Out. Here's the LINK to that post. 

Also, you should line up HARD MONEY FINANCING  as well as CONVENTIONAL FINANCING. Hard money is good for buying a house that needs work while conventional financing is good for refinancing out of hard money and now you can keep the house as a rental because conventional financing has very low interest rates.

Step 2: Learn what a Good Deal Looks Like - pop quiz:

If the ARV (After Repair Value) or the value of the house when it's renovated is $200,000, your purchase price is $150,000 and the house needs $20,000 in repairs...
Question A: is this a good deal?
Question B: is the profit $30,000?

If you answer YES to both questions - then you don't know what a good deal looks like. If you answer NO to both questions - then that's the right answer.

How do you know the profit on a deal? Use the calculators here on Biggerpockets.

Another aspect of learning what a good deal looks like is getting yourself familiarized with different exit strategies. For example, a property that does not look good as a fix-n-flip, could be a very profitable deal as a lease option. We love lease options! We make $50K, $60K even $80K on our lease option properties. Here's a comparison of the profit you will make on a $200K house (ARV) that you buy for $120K and you put $30K of repairs into it - fix-n-flip vs. lease options.

Step 3: Look for DEALS Using My Science of Finding Deals

I started a post more than 6 months ago entitled "The Science of Finding Deals". It's a 6-part series of forum, blog and video posts - all here on Biggerpockets. Here's the LINK to post #1 (you can search it in the search bar by putting "Science of Finding Deals".

In these 3 steps, if you click on the links, you will learn MORE vs. what a guru will teach you. 

And it's all FREE.

So - when will you buy your first deal? 

What struggles or challenges do you encounter? Is it lack of deals, lack of funding or not knowing what to do? Share it here and let BP Nation help you so you will finally BUY your first deal!

14Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 28 posts · 15 votes
9y

Thanks for sharing (the memories) @Wendell De Guzman,

I remember trying to do my first deal. I over analyzed it until someone else got the deal. I made every excuse not to make the offer. What made me go over the hump? I started to make more offers, the more offers made the more you are closer to getting your first deal accepted. With these three steps that you laid out, a newbie has a blueprint to get to their first deal faster than I did.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Nice article @Wendell De Guzman

    As a transaction engineer you don't want to be just a wholesaler.

    With pretty houses with little equity, you need subject to, wraparound mortgage purchase, or some kind a lease option to make some money. Exit can be rental, flip or lease 2 own.

    With landlord areas, fix and flip with Hardmoney is definitely a tool you need.

    With a minor rehab, I commonly use a joint venture with the seller, it helps the seller make more money, and I make a joint venture fee; no banks needed using Seller Financing with a single payment note to the seller.

    Nice article!

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Thanks @Brian Gibbons

     totally agree with you. I teach my team different ways to monetize a deal - we have 53 ways to make money on a deal (53 different combinations of entry and exit strategies). Here it is:

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 28 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    Thanks for sharing (the memories) @Wendell De Guzman,

    I remember trying to do my first deal. I over analyzed it until someone else got the deal. I made every excuse not to make the offer. What made me go over the hump? I started to make more offers, the more offers made the more you are closer to getting your first deal accepted. With these three steps that you laid out, a newbie has a blueprint to get to their first deal faster than I did.

  • Lender · Prairieville, LA · Member since 2014 · 146 posts · 114 votes
    9y

    BEAUTIFUL @Wendell De Guzman. A must read for every newbie. ONE of my husband's pet peeves is wholesalers who can't do the numbers. I don't care if a wholesaler can do numbers, as long as I can.

    "The numbers" is one of the quickest ways for me to recognize an inexperienced borrower. As a Hard Money Lender, at least once a week, someone sends me numbers looking like the scenario:

    ARV 200k, PA $150k, repairs 20k

    Newbies, use the calculators. They'll make you look smart & keep you safe.

  • Real Estate Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 133 posts · 31 votes
    9y

    @Wendell De Guzman Thanks so much for sharing your experience and story. I have spent the last few months looking for deals and putting in offers that have been rejected for being too low, but the numbers made sense (used the BP calculator to check). I know a deal will come if I keep pressing forward, ramp up my marketing, and keep making offers!! I appreciate this post. 

  • Investor · Berwyn, IL · Member since 2011 · 27 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    Another great post for newbie’s! I was so bad at calculating a good deal that I avoided it completely. I let one of my other colleagues figure it out for me. The information you put out is so simple to understand that no newbie should be afraid to jump right in and start making money. As always great job @Wendell De Guzman

  • Real Estate Agent · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2016 · 408 posts · 242 votes
    9y

    @Wendell De Guzman

    Got another pop quiz? Make it a little harder this time =)

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Elpidio Quiballo:

    Thanks for sharing (the memories) @Wendell De Guzman,

    I remember trying to do my first deal. I over analyzed it until someone else got the deal. I made every excuse not to make the offer. What made me go over the hump? I started to make more offers, the more offers made the more you are closer to getting your first deal accepted. With these three steps that you laid out, a newbie has a blueprint to get to their first deal faster than I did.

     Well said Elpidio and thanks for sharing that. The first deal is always the hardest. It took me 3 months to buy my first deal. I probably over-analyzed 10 or even 20 deals before finally getting my first deal. So you're even better than me since you only have 1 deal you missed out on! (LOL)

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Tami DuBose:

    BEAUTIFUL @Wendell De Guzman. A must read for every newbie. ONE of my husband's pet peeves is wholesalers who can't do the numbers. I don't care if a wholesaler can do numbers, as long as I can.

    "The numbers" is one of the quickest ways for me to recognize an inexperienced borrower. As a Hard Money Lender, at least once a week, someone sends me numbers looking like the scenario:

    ARV 200k, PA $150k, repairs 20k

    Newbies, use the calculators. They'll make you look smart & keep you safe.

     Well said Tammie. I also lend money to other investors as well and we also broker hard money. If they don't know how to calculate the profit in a deal, I don't lend them money. I tell them to have something like this to calculate their profit:

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Nicole Graves:

    @Wendell De Guzman Thanks so much for sharing your experience and story. I have spent the last few months looking for deals and putting in offers that have been rejected for being too low, but the numbers made sense (used the BP calculator to check). I know a deal will come if I keep pressing forward, ramp up my marketing, and keep making offers!! I appreciate this post. 

     You're very welcome. Even if your intent is to wholesale a deal, it makes sense to line up funding and have cash in your bank account so you can close on deals quicker. When word gets around that you can close, you will have more people forwarding your deals.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Deren Huang:

    @Wendell De Guzman

    Got another pop quiz? Make it a little harder this time =)

     Hahaha - OK...what about this?

    ARV: $237,500

    Repairs: $7,000

    Acquisition price: $162,500

    Is this a good deal or a bad deal?

  • Real Estate Agent · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2016 · 408 posts · 242 votes
    9y

    @Wendell De Guzman

    I would go for it, but with hard money I would be hesitant.

    For my market that would be a big home (Median price is 150k in Tulsa) considering it is Winter and the market has slowed down, even with the quick renovation you could be stuck with it until later. I'm not a flipper so this is good to work my brain.

    When working with Newbies, how do you teach them the multiple ways to purchase and all the different exit strategies without them getting distracted in pursuing all those different avenues?

    For me I got distracted when I first started, I wanted to flip then BRRRR then sub2 then lease option. I had to just focus on one to actually get results.

  • Professional · Philadelphia PA, PA · Member since 2013 · 25 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    @Wendell De Guzman with a 70% LTV cash-out refi you'd have $3,250 coming out of your pocket. I guess it would depend on your market if that is a good deal or not. With only $7k in repairs, I could imagine the property being repaired quickly keeping holding costs down.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Deren Huang:

    @Wendell De Guzman

    I would go for it, but with hard money I would be hesitant.

    For my market that would be a big home (Median price is 150k in Tulsa) considering it is Winter and the market has slowed down, even with the quick renovation you could be stuck with it until later. I'm not a flipper so this is good to work my brain.

    When working with Newbies, how do you teach them the multiple ways to purchase and all the different exit strategies without them getting distracted in pursuing all those different avenues?

    For me I got distracted when I first started, I wanted to flip then BRRRR then sub2 then lease option. I had to just focus on one to actually get results.

     Deren,

    The deal is NOT a good deal if you intend to fix-n-flip it. The profit is not good enough.

    The deal is a GOOD deal for lease option though - $61K profit and you get $10K of that upfront.

    Now, to your question - YES, you are right: they need to focus on ONE first- master that entry/exit strategy and then move on to a new one. By doing this, they learn, make money and then have that entry/exit strategy added to their "toolbelt" of strategies.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    If you're at 75/70% yes, at 65% no.  I agree with @Tim Stover if you can get in/out quickly, it can make sense with a lipstick rehab.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.