Would you take $100/m?

Would you take $100/m?

Rental Property Investor · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2015 · 492 posts · 234 votes

Thinking about buying a rental that works out to be $100/m after I run my numbers. It's a SFH in a good school district. I'd say B+ area. I am self managing this but still factor in PM expenses incase I move. Although I could still pull of self managing from a distance due to the tenant quality I think.

$83/m repairs (toilet clogged, minor tweaks, etc) $1,000/yr

$150/m capex (all of the major items are less than 3 years old, but will eventually need replaced many years from now)

PM $112/m

Lease Fee $58/m (2 year leases with 1 month vacancy)

$100/m cash flow with PM

$270/m cash flow self manage

I think my repair budget is high. The house is in great shape and it's in a desireable area. Vacancy should be minimal since this home would be desireable for families. Once kids are in the school, I doubt they'd want to relocate. Thoughts?

Normally I would like to see $200/m, but have not found this and that amount of cash flow would leave me with a house in a bad area where there is more risk. I imagine those look good on paper, but in reality don't work out as well. Normally I buy turn keys out of state but am considering getting one locally to gain some experience. My girlfriend and I also may want to move into it at a later point incase we have kids.

0Reply
120 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe VilleneuvePro Member
Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
9y

You answered your own questions before you asked them.

Are your out of state investments working out for you?  If so, why would you want to invest in a market that doesn't.  If you are looking to buy this house that only CF's at $100/month, and your minimum is $200, you're negotiating against yourself.  If your minimum is $200...it's $200...move on.  Don't try to rationalize a bad deal into a good one by using phrases like, 

1 - "I think my repair budget is high. The house is in great shape and"
2 - "... it's in a desireable area."
3 - " Vacancy should be minimal since this home would be desireable for families. Once kids are in the school, I doubt they'd want to relocate"

All of these statements you made are examples of you trying to make a bad deal look good by rationalizing that things you have no control over will fix what's wrong.

It's a numbers game...numbers with "$$$" in front, and not ones with "STreet Addresses" in back.

Move on...you're telling yourself this deal doesn't work...listen to yourself.  You're right.

See this reply in the discussion

52 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · MI · Member since 2014 · 594 posts · 183 votes
    9y

    @Wilson Churchill

    An investor friend of mine has over 100 rentals in Detriot. They make money with a lot of headaches. It's a "volume game" and not a one-z and two-z game. Some of their properties were hard to insure and secure even on the outskirts of Detroit City. It's vital to have a rigid vetting system for tenants. It's a great market for buying in bulk.

    Check out Detroit's Land Bank. 

    Wilson, attached is a screen shot of rentals sold since Jan 2016 until today. My source is from my MLS and will not include any FSBO Rental.

    The bigger ticket rentals have more bedrooms and higher so. ft.

    On the smaller rentals, it's averaging around $800.

    Bank owned properties in that area range from $17K - $80K

    I hope this helps. 

    Search Criteria:

    3bds+

    1+ baths

    Style of Property: Any

    Sq Ft. Any

    *Key

    Status date: When it was occupied

    DOM: Day on Market

    Cumulative Days on Market.

  • Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 471 posts · 132 votes
    9y

    I'm not saying that you can't invest, I just want people to know what they are getting into. There is a reason that the homes are priced the way they are. As far as the tenants go, people that work for their money are the best bet.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.