Creative Job Opportunites to Gain Experience and Knowledge in RE

Creative Job Opportunites to Gain Experience and Knowledge in RE

San Marcos, TX · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hi Bp,

I am a new Real Estate Entrepreneur based in San Marcos Texas. For the past couple of months I have been learning about RE and slowly started to network at different REIAs around my city. My next step is to start working on Marketing for myself and creating a brand to capture potential buyers, sellers, and investors. Before I drive into this aspect, I want to increase my funding by looking for a new job opportunity that will allow me to have another source of income as well as pick up some more relatable knowledge and experience in this field of RE. I am curious to know if anyone knows of certain jobs/ worked a job in the past that has helped gain RE knowledge and experience along with making some money each month.

Thanks, 

Justin Tejeda

0Reply
7 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    Some of the areas that leap to mind, are real estate agent, handyman, property management companies, appraisers, title companies, or even working for a real estate investor.  Maybe you cango to work for a wholesaler, etc.  Good luck.

  • Investor · San Marcos, TX · Member since 2015 · 272 posts · 360 votes
    9y

    I would suggest getting your real estate license and doing apartment finding in San Marcos. This will get you involved while also providing a fairly consistent income. Apartment finding in San Marcos is seasonal so you can devote some of your off season time to getting your feet wet in traditional real estate. 

  • Specialist · Marco Island, FL · Member since 2016 · 225 posts · 56 votes
    9y

    an idea that I had, but havent tried yet is, talking to people in preforeclosure. and offering to rent out their rooms (basically making yourself a property manager.) But the only way I see it working is to not be in it for the money. But to genuinely help and get some experience. At that point you can choose whichever market youd like because there are people going into foreclosures everywhere. Just an idea. Make sure you are legally sound the whole way around because its a sinking ship. Theres no reason to let it drag you down. 

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Winchester, VA · Member since 2014 · 136 posts · 34 votes
    9y

    Certainly the toughest aspect of real estate is eating. If you can eat and pay your bills, and just stay in real estate long enough, then you should be ok. Many rush in with no reserves or sustainability. Kudos on the wisdom to think ahead, and the courage to not be stopped. 

    I sent a PM to learn about your interests and background. I may have some scenarios that can help. 

    On a general thought, start by becoming an outstanding finder of deals. If you can find deals, you can do anything. If you can't you will never start. Align with others that can help bring the deal through the finish line. 

    The problem with being a paid hunter is the "eat what you kill... or starve" characteristic. 

    If you are bad *** at finance or something else, then network with the hunters. 

    Best of luck. 

  • San Marcos, TX · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Thanks for the advice and ideas everyone! I have to agree with you Clifton that if you can find the deals you can surely do anything. That is why most of my focus early on has been on marketing. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.