Clayton Morris Might Actually Change My Life

Clayton Morris Might Actually Change My Life

Fredericksburg, VA · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 12 votes

What's going on BP Family?!

I'm so excited to share with you guys what I've discovered and the numbers I ran for my early retirement plan! I recently was introduced to a gentlemen's YouTube channel by a friend of mine. His name is Clayton Morris. Let me tell you this guy is no joke. He breaks down every aspect of creating passive income through buy and hold SFR and does it with such simplicity; no offense to him, but a 10 year old could understand it. I highly encourage you to check out that video because it could put your life into perspective as well.

Now, moving on to what I learned from Clayton. Clayton has this formula and idea called the 'Freedom Number'. What you do is you add up all your expenses for the month (you can do this by checking your bank account online obviously) and I mean ALL EXPENSES; including going out to eat or to the movies, then you add 10% to it just give you a little breathing room so you're not so constricted on your spending. So lets say all your expenses add up to $4,500 a month and you add the 10% for good luck. So 4,500 times .10; that equals an added $450. Which gives us a total of $4,950. Now just round that up to an even $5,000. $5,000 a month.

There it is, your Freedom Number! Oh, but it gets better! Now we're going to find out how many rental properties it's going to need in your portfolio to meet that goal of $5,000 a month. So what we're going to do is take the average rental price of $700 dollars a month. We want to be kind of conservative on this estimate so what Clayton does is he takes 40% out for repairs and vacancies. So 700 times .60 (the 40% taken out) equals $420. Alright, here is the moment of truth. We take the $5,000 and divide that by the $420 and we get 11.9. Round that up to 12 and that is the number of properties that you will need in your portfolio to reach $5,000 a month in cash flow! Amazing, right?!

So I ran my own scenario. Keep in mind, I don't have any expenses as of now. I don't even own a car and I have no credit history (I'm 24. Live at home with mom. Not afraid to admit it). What I've always wanted to do is just travel with my girlfriend and have money to spend while I'm traveling the world. So what I did is I made an Airbnb budget of $200 dollars a night or less for a one month vacation. That's $6,200 for one month plus I through on $5,000 for the plane tickets and anything else I might want to do or purchase while I'm on vacation. So $11,200 dollars MAX for a one month vacation.

I drew out a 10 year plan to retirement and here is what it looks like based on the Freedom Number method.

Starting at age 25

Retire by age 35

Acquiring 36 properties in 8 years

This would be 5 properties a year.

Which would be 40 properties by the end of year 8.

That would be $16,800 a month or $201,600 a year ( CONSERVATIVE ESTIMATE BASED ON THE FREEDOM NUMBER SHEET BY CLAYTON MORRIS)

———————————————————

Break down for 1 year:

$2,100 a month or $25,200 a year.

———————————————————

By year 2, TECHNICALLY, I could quit my day job as an HVAC Technician making $4,200 a month or $50,400 a year as full time real estate investor.

2Reply
394 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2011 · 956 posts · 510 votes
9y

I commend your enthusiasm and motivation. However,

 you are brand new and totally inexperienced.

You'd be a MUCH wiser man to open your ears and close your mouth

and learn from these wise experienced people here on BP.

They have ALOT to offer.

See this reply in the discussion

84 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    Numbers can be used to get any result you choose. In the real world it will take way longer than 10 years to achieve your goals. You could possibly be able to replace your present income in 10 years with maybe 20 good positive cash flow properties but you will need very deep pockets to reach it. Investing costs money, lots of money.

    What you need to do is scale back your plans to working toward saving to buy one property and keep your other dreams locked away for the time being. The real world is a far different reality.

    Wealth growth through real estate is a very slow process and requires a great deal of hard work. Think of it like compounded interest.

    Cut your spending, curb your life style and save every penny you can till you have your first down payment......and along the way make sure you are paying your parents a descent rent for their housing contribution to your future plans. 

    If you are not paying them rent you do not have the right mind set to succeed. Free rides do not build success.

  • Fredericksburg, VA · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    I respect your opinion, but this is highly doable. Whether I have to partner or find private money. I am absolutely determined to do this. There are thousands of investors out there that have retired early from surrounding themselves with smart people, doing good deals, and ALWAYS buy below market value. Of course it takes a lot of money and time, but theres a little thing called leverage and a calculator and when you know how to use leverage and a calculator right it's incredibly powerful. So I'm going to stick to my guns on this one and prove you wrong.

    Cheers!

  • Rental Property Investor · NY · Member since 2013 · 844 posts · 350 votes
    9y
    Raheem Jamaal Mr Morris has been already discussed extensively here and several people have raised concerns about his product. You may want to do more research and read some of the other threads on his company before posting how great his idea or products are.
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Springfield, IL · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    9y
    How are you planing on paying for the 5 properties a year? You don't have anything figured into you're plan about acquiring the properties, will they be on a commercial loan, mortgages or cash? The mortgage payment on a property capable of producing 700 mo depending on your area could be more than 40% of 700 alone. I think you need to do some research, if it was as easy as you made it sound everyone would be doing it.
  • Fredericksburg, VA · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    @Mathew Keehner I assure you it can be done. There are a number of ways I can finance a deal. I'm not going to explain myself cause I don't feel the need to, but for all I know I could have an uncle who happens to be a millionaire and would loan me the money in a heartbeat. There's always going to be people like you with limiting beliefs. Sad, but true and as for @Eddie T.

  • Rental Property Investor · NY · Member since 2013 · 844 posts · 350 votes
    9y
    Raheem Jamaal being on a BP podcast does not validate credibility. We recently discovered a scammer who was on the BP podcast and stole 40k from one of the members here on BP. But you seem to have all the answers and are not willing to take any advice from other experienced investors who have commented here you want to refute everyone. So good luck.
  • Fredericksburg, VA · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    I have nothing but the upmost respect for you experienced investors that have commented on my post and I wish you all the best, but nothing is going to stop me from achieving my goals. They are MY GOALS for a reason. All you have done is just added fuel to the fire, but I'll keep you all posted on my progress. (:

  • Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2011 · 512 posts · 290 votes
    9y

    The numbers here may be very optimistic but I believe it is possible. From my experience, the first years may be fewer properties and later they will come more frequently. Don't be discouraged. I let a realtor I respected discourage me when I was about your age. If I had not allowed him to discourage me I would be much further along my journey - and probably financially independent already. 

  • Fredericksburg, VA · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    I appreciate the words of encouragement, @Will Pritchett, greatly. I just want to shoot for the stars and forget anybody that doubts me. I set a goal so I want to accomplish it. It's as simple as that.

  • Investor · Hawaiian Gardens, CA · Member since 2015 · 308 posts · 386 votes
    9y

    Raheem,

    Morris invest has been discussed at length by several BP members who have done/are doing business with him and I encourage you to do your research here on their experiences. Financial freedom through real estate investing is not something that Clayton Morris invented or coined, but something he helped bring it to light.

    While 6k can keep you financially free, I hope you have kept a 15k roof replacement in mind for all of your properties.

  • Fredericksburg, VA · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    @Derrick Dill First of all, why would I buy a house that needed a 15k roof replacement? That's obviously not the deal for me. You stick to YOUR OWN CRITERIA. I have mine. Do you have yours?

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    Mr. Jamaal..  I love your spirit.. and your right real estate can be a great way to create cash flow and some financial freedom.. My self I started at 18 and am now 60.... so I have 42 years at this.. LOL

    and I still work... and love what I do.

    Mr. Morris has given you a spark.. however as others have stated his product that he is currently selling needs ut most scrutiny  most experienced investor won't touch it... he is playing to emotions and dreams.. I call them dream merchants he will get rich selling his dreams no doubt.  and nothing he says or does is anything that as others have stated has not been done or is being done a thousand times a day in the US in the RE business...

    I would love to see you jump into this by first getting your real estate license or at least studying for it.. this will give you a nice foundation to work from. there is far more to this than owning rentals.

    and it takes a lot of income to own rentals.. ( short of your rich uncle who is going to lay a million on you).. however for whatever its worth.. the only WAY you can make the product that Morris sells pay you big money is to do it yourself.. you need to find the deals yourself.. you need to rehab them yourself and you need to self manage.. if you can do all of that you can achieve your dreams to think that morris or any company selling in that asset class is going to do it all for you .. then well that's simply not reality and or very very low percentage of success.

    if you want in REal estate get into it and start making money at it by selling it.. and or getting into the loan field.. good mortgage lenders make very nice money... etc etc. lots of ways to skin the cat as it were...   Also just because someone does  BP pod cast does not give them license to have immunity from scrutiny and deep due diligence. in others words just don't go into these deals blind..

  • CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Raheem Jamaal

    Go to the front page, and search "clayton", and you will see how investors have learned their lessons the hard way with this company...

    You dont want to lose your hard earned money 

  • Fredericksburg, VA · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    I apologize for the title because it must be misleading or something because I have not mentioned one time Clayton's product. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS PRODUCT. I COULD CARE LESS ABOUT HIS PRODUCT TO BE HONEST. What he teaches in that hour long video is how to make passive income through single family rentals. That's it. I think he said the word 'turnkey' once in that entire video. It has nothing to do with his product. It's a guide that teaches you step by step how to get from point A in investing in single family rentals to point B in investing in single family rentals and repeat. I personally have never seen anyone do this on YouTube as simplistic as he put it. So I'm sharing it. ONCE AGAIN, this has absolutely nothing to do with his service. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Raheem Jamaal  thanks for that clarification... kind of like rich dad poor dad right ???

    got you motivated .. that's good and wish you the best at it for sure.

  • Investor · Hawaiian Gardens, CA · Member since 2015 · 308 posts · 386 votes
    9y

    Rasheem,

    Roof is a capital expenditure, all roofs will need replacements within 15-30 years. These need to be part of your financial calculations is all I'm saying. As someone working in the HVAC industry, you know that these will need to be replaced for your properties as well.

    My criteria is buy properties with new/newer roofs, but I have in my calculations that they will need to be replaced in the future, and you should too. I'm not sure why so defensive as I'm trying to help you.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Derrick Dill  my client in in Indy that is doing turn key  puts NEW metal roofs with 40 year lifes and 15 year unlimited warrenties on all his homes... saves tenants 20 to 40% a month on utls bills its brilliant.... Spartan in B ham does this ... as well

  • Fredericksburg, VA · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    @Derrick Dill I'm not jumping to the defensive at all. If I came off that way I apologize, but if I even have the property for that long, by that time, I'll have plenty of money to do work like that. Once again, that's if I haven't sold it by then. 

  • Investor · Hawaiian Gardens, CA · Member since 2015 · 308 posts · 386 votes
    9y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    There are great examples of exceptions to the rule, but, I'm trying to get the point across that capital expenditures should be in investors calculations. While there are many things that can be done to minimize the expenditures, I still want to encourage new investors to include them in their calculations for financial independence. I think we can both at least agree, better safe than sorry.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Derrick Dill  Abso darn lutly  the most missed part of the equation is the on going turn over costs and cap ex.. completely agree with  you... I was just saying metal roofs are brilliant and there are some best practice items that can be done for rentals that will help with this.

    anyone who has read any of my post though knows that I am not keen on low end D class rentals like Morris is touting.. the rents are not high enough to generate enough gross cash flow to properly maintain a home that is going to have 10 to 50% more expenses because of the tenant base.

    and those expense's will come in lost rent.. vacancy .. theft and tenant abuse.. just will there is a reason you have hoods and semi hoods... the risk is huge and the morris product is in those areas.

  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Great plan. Give it a shot. It doesn't matter what anyone says won't work. All you have to do is try one and find out for yourself.

    Plans are made for throwing out. When you see what happens, then you can revise the plan. Hey, it might even go better than you predict. You'll get validation one way or the other when you give things a go.

  • Johnson City, TN · Member since 2014 · 586 posts · 705 votes
    9y

    This is the best post I have read on here in a long time! 

  • Fredericksburg, VA · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed I appreciate your brutal honesty, my friend. Haha!

    Cheers! :D

  • Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2011 · 956 posts · 510 votes
    9y

    I commend your enthusiasm and motivation. However,

     you are brand new and totally inexperienced.

    You'd be a MUCH wiser man to open your ears and close your mouth

    and learn from these wise experienced people here on BP.

    They have ALOT to offer.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    Hey Raheem,

    Add debt payments to your $420/month math.

    BP members are protective of other members and the forums from products or gurus and the get rich quick mindset.  That's been cleared up above but just mentioning it to provide some context.

    What the members above are saying is to ask away and "explain yourself" fully and they will shoot holes in or confirm your ideas and deal figures.  It's a very pragmatic, no bull, tough love forum.  Many of the members are well past the mindset phase and care more about the real how to part.

    Good luck with your journey and let us know how we can help get the first deal done.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.