Refinancing with cash out , to get all money down back

Refinancing with cash out , to get all money down back

Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 8 votes

Hi. My name is Maggie,  I am a new to Biggerpockets. I heard few  podcasts on Biggerpockets  website  about  starting out to invest  with refinancing with cash out over  and  over again to buy one house after another house  .  Few investors recommended to  buy house  then refi with cash out all  money down and buy another house, so my question  is:  " How can you refi  with cash out to get all your money if bank will only give  80% of your equity"? How can you get all equity  out to buy another  home??, I just dont understand  how does it work,  can anybody explain the process  for  me?? 

I bought my single family home  a year ago  , I put 20%  down, how can I get that  20%  out to  buy  another  investemnet  home? Is it possible> What are  these  investors  talking  about?

I appreciate your help . Thank you. Maggie

0Reply
114 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Los Altos, CA · Member since 2014 · 942 posts · 1k+ votes
9y

@Maggie G. there is nothing out there that will give you a step by step process to do well in REI. This is because books about strategies are written for "general consumption" not specific application. On the other hand, books written about "specific events" are basically a historical recounting of a specific deal. So it is important for you to understand that the way that people do the "cash out refi" or use the BRRR strategy probably does not fit your particular situation. Over time, you might be able to change your current situation to more closely match the examples in the books, but right now there are a key points that don't match up. I believe that is why you are frustrated with the idea of "getting your money out" strategy.

In every one of the cases I have read about or done myself there was an appreciation aspect to each deal.  This could be through the market rising, or more likely through "forced appreciation".  In your case, you have your primary residence.  However, you live in a market where there has been no appreciation and it sounds like you might have negative appreciation.  This is the key to why your current situation does not align with what you are reading.  The books talk about tapping your "equity" in the property.  This is how you get your money out to invest in another property.  However, if your home is worth less then what you paid for it a few years ago, then there is no equity to tap.

This is actually one of the corner stones of the appreciation vs cash flow debates that rages on BP.  I don't intend to sound mean, but you are in the unfortunate position that many hopeful investors fall into; you have a home, but it is actually a liability and not an asset.  It is basically acting like a financial sea anchor and keeping you from making some forward progress.  

You are 100% right, "You have to have some money to invest!" However, it does not need to be your money...  Without knowing the details of your financial situation, besides selling your house, you have 3 basic options to TRY and get money:

  1. Refinance:  I have no idea what your rate is, but if you can get your payments down you can eventually save some money to invest.  If your house is worth less than what you paid for it, then you will probably not be able to get any immediate cash out.
  2. HELOC: Depending on your credit situation you could try to get a home equity line of credit. I personally like this method for myself, BUT I am in a high appreciation market. You must have a lot of fiscal discipline to use this strategy.  If you are not careful you can lose everything.
  3. Other peoples money:  This could come in the form or loans from friends/family, investors or a "hard money" lender.  This strategy has obvious down sides and could also be disastrous

@John Kesner has some very good advice, but you have decided you cannot follow it because your house, the sea anchor, is a "home" not a "property" in your current mindset. Perhaps what you need to consider is to make your current home the rental and moving into the next property as your primary residence. If you make this mind shift you will open yourself up to the ability of getting a property for a lower down payment. I don't know your family situation or how many people are in your immediate household, but you could potentially get a small multi unit as John has suggested and add to your income. This is the "house hacking" strategy: buy a property as a "primary" residence live in it for awhile and then get another "primary" residence and move. After awhile you naturally fall into the BRRR strategy.

As a starting point, house hacking takes longer to achieve financial independence but it is an easier place to start if you already own your primary residence.

Best of luck to you!

See this reply in the discussion

40 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Bellevue WA & Orange County, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Maggie G.:

    Hi. My name is Maggie,  I am a new to Biggerpockets. I heard few  podcasts on Biggerpockets  website  about  starting out to invest  with refinancing with cash out over  and  over again to buy one house after another house  .  Few investors recommended to  buy house  then refi with cash out all  money down and buy another house, so my question  is:  " How can you refi  with cash out to get all your money if bank will only give  80% of your equity"? How can you get all equity  out to buy another  home??, I just dont understand  how does it work,  can anybody explain the process  for  me?? 

    I bought my single family home  a year ago  , I put 20%  down, how can I get that  20%  out to  buy  another  investemnet  home? Is it possible> What are  these  investors  talking  about?

    I appreciate your help . Thank you. Maggie

    You often times do not even need to do "solid upgrades." A combination of these factors mentioned: if you buy it under market value, the market value improves (market appreciation), you've paid down  or amortized your loan balance down, or by adding value like rooms, baths, or just upgrades to the property you can significantly increase the value so much so that when you go to cash out to 80% that you'll be able to get all of your original down payment and sometimes your rehab money and some extra too.

    The key is the 6 months of title seasoning or ownership, because after 6 months we go off of current market value (conventional financing), for FHA financing its 12 months, and VA - Veterans programs there is no title seasoning you just have to prove the work you did and the conditions that caused value to increase.

    Depending on the loan program you intend to use you can definitely maximize your results by planning the value and loan criteria in advance.

    Hope that helps.

  • Lender · Bellevue WA & Orange County, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Maggie G.:

    Lee,thank you so much for  your  response.  Maybe it is not so  complicated  but it  is not easy either. I bought so many books I don't know where to start, I just read ABC of real estate by Ken McElroy, and yes I learn some but the people are rich , they don't tell you how to start with no money or little money. once you are rich it is easy because you get loan with no money down, you buy  home with no money down because they know you because you are rich but me? I called few  banks and the won't borrow mw any money without  25% down ...no way!! no way around it........unfortunately. 

     Its definitely a mindset shift Maggie, there are many strategies to obtain bank money. I've cashed out cars for down payment, I've cross collateralized other property (real and personal), and used partners to get the capital to buy. Did you have other assets you could utilize? perhaps even a 401k .....

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 283 posts · 71 votes
    9y

    So if you purchased the property less than 6 months from the date to do the refinance, it is considered delayed financing. The the big catch is that the loan amount cannot be larger than the amount you paid for it. This is in my state of IL though not sure how it works elsewhere

    Once you hit that 6 month mark though, it becomes a normal cash-out refinance where you can take out cash based off of the new appraised value

    So for example, if we started the refinance process at 5 months, knowing it was going to take 45 days,  a normal cash-out refinance can be done

  • Investor · Los Altos, CA · Member since 2014 · 942 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Maggie G. there is nothing out there that will give you a step by step process to do well in REI. This is because books about strategies are written for "general consumption" not specific application. On the other hand, books written about "specific events" are basically a historical recounting of a specific deal. So it is important for you to understand that the way that people do the "cash out refi" or use the BRRR strategy probably does not fit your particular situation. Over time, you might be able to change your current situation to more closely match the examples in the books, but right now there are a key points that don't match up. I believe that is why you are frustrated with the idea of "getting your money out" strategy.

    In every one of the cases I have read about or done myself there was an appreciation aspect to each deal.  This could be through the market rising, or more likely through "forced appreciation".  In your case, you have your primary residence.  However, you live in a market where there has been no appreciation and it sounds like you might have negative appreciation.  This is the key to why your current situation does not align with what you are reading.  The books talk about tapping your "equity" in the property.  This is how you get your money out to invest in another property.  However, if your home is worth less then what you paid for it a few years ago, then there is no equity to tap.

    This is actually one of the corner stones of the appreciation vs cash flow debates that rages on BP.  I don't intend to sound mean, but you are in the unfortunate position that many hopeful investors fall into; you have a home, but it is actually a liability and not an asset.  It is basically acting like a financial sea anchor and keeping you from making some forward progress.  

    You are 100% right, "You have to have some money to invest!" However, it does not need to be your money...  Without knowing the details of your financial situation, besides selling your house, you have 3 basic options to TRY and get money:

    1. Refinance:  I have no idea what your rate is, but if you can get your payments down you can eventually save some money to invest.  If your house is worth less than what you paid for it, then you will probably not be able to get any immediate cash out.
    2. HELOC: Depending on your credit situation you could try to get a home equity line of credit. I personally like this method for myself, BUT I am in a high appreciation market. You must have a lot of fiscal discipline to use this strategy.  If you are not careful you can lose everything.
    3. Other peoples money:  This could come in the form or loans from friends/family, investors or a "hard money" lender.  This strategy has obvious down sides and could also be disastrous

    @John Kesner has some very good advice, but you have decided you cannot follow it because your house, the sea anchor, is a "home" not a "property" in your current mindset. Perhaps what you need to consider is to make your current home the rental and moving into the next property as your primary residence. If you make this mind shift you will open yourself up to the ability of getting a property for a lower down payment. I don't know your family situation or how many people are in your immediate household, but you could potentially get a small multi unit as John has suggested and add to your income. This is the "house hacking" strategy: buy a property as a "primary" residence live in it for awhile and then get another "primary" residence and move. After awhile you naturally fall into the BRRR strategy.

    As a starting point, house hacking takes longer to achieve financial independence but it is an easier place to start if you already own your primary residence.

    Best of luck to you!

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 60 posts · 65 votes
    9y

    Hey Maggie, another option is to join the local real estate group that have meetings near you. You are going to meet like minded people who were and could be in your position. Maybe you could meet.... Let's be positive...you will meet a person you can partner with. It's not always money you have to offer but time. You are in Chicago land. Offer your eyes and time and partner with someone. I'm now out of the country and would love to have your opportunity were I could go to these real estate group meetings and find partners. People have money find someone and partner up. Find a group and make some new friends that are doing exactly what you want to accomplish. 

  • Real Estate Professional · Dublin, OH · Member since 2013 · 251 posts · 165 votes
    9y
    There's a few posts here that say it's NOT POSSIBLE to refinance out on a rental and pull out 100%. I can tell you my model is to cash out refinance where I make 10 - 15k on a house. Otherwise it ends up being a rehab or wholesale. For me the ability to buy at deep discount gives me the leverage on the back end when refinancing. I refinance out no more than 65% of ARV. Case I point: I have a home, 106 Mariposa Ave in Waukegan Il, that I purchased for 37k, I'm currently putting 30k in rehab and about to sign docs to cash out refinance at 81k, which is 65% of what I believe the ARV (125k and conservative, probably more like 134k) should be. It's possible but you have to purchase at steep discount, which is a much longer discussion and for me has more to do with who I'm associated with.
  • Hvac · North Haven, CT · Member since 2015 · 298 posts · 79 votes
    9y

    @Maggie G.  

    Why not rent out your home that you live in? Can you rent it out for more than your mortgage payment? Then get an FHA mortgage on a multi family with 3.5% down payment. (House hack) the tenants can pay all or most of your mortgage payment. Now you own two income producing properties. Just another option or tool in your toolbox as Brandon Turner would say. Good luck.

    TonyV

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 743 posts · 927 votes
    9y

    @Maggie G.

    Rent out your SFH, buy a 2-4 unit and house hack. I'm a big advocate of that. I've seen dozens of people do it. You often can essentially live for free so you can take that money and save it to buy your next property which you move into and house hack again. You avoid the 25% down as long as you live in it and have an intention to stay at least a year.

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Wow  , hello  Bruce Rauner!!  Thanks for  feedback. yes, I will do  that. that is  a great  advice.  I am looking for  3 flat now, .there was one  affordable  but I was too lat etc buy  it.

    thanks  again

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 29 votes
    9y

    Hi @Maggie G., I know I am late to this conversation and you might have already found a solution for your problem. But here is a way to start:

    1. Spend a portion of your $5000 in direct mail/yellow letter marketing. or

    2. Post bandit signs which says "We buy houses all cash. Quick closing! <phone number>".

    This way you can get to know some home owners in distressed houses. 

    Write up a contract with them and assign it to investors who are in the lookout for such deals. Make sure the deal is solid, like 50-65% of ARV. The investors would be ready to buy it from you for 70% of ARV.

    Do enough of these and you will get to accumulate enough funds for your down-payment on your first deal.

    There is no quick way to success, unless somebody is scamming you with a useless product they want to sell.

    @Teresa DelaMater, that is an excellent strategy, except that different states have different rules and name for how you can do this. For example, in the state of Texas, where you are from, you have to do it as a seller financing (or owner financing) deal (which requires that the seller owner should own the property free and clear), or as a wrap around mortgage deal (which is the closest to a subject-to deal).

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    ok, thank you so much, No ,  Jojo Joy , you are not late..

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.