I don't think real estate is possible for me. (19 years old)

I don't think real estate is possible for me. (19 years old)

Tel Aviv, Israel · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 1 vote

Hello everyone,

My name is Omer and I'm 19 years old from israel. I started reading and learning about real estate about 2 years ago, and since then I'm looking to buy my first deal with my parents. A few weeks ago I started learning the market, and I start to think that its not possible to buy real estate here. Let me explain with some numbers.

My (Our) budget is about 450,000-550,000 shekels, and there are two cities in israel where you can find deals in this price.

There are 2 big problems:

1. Rent rates are very low. The expected rent from houses in this price is about 1800-2200 shekels.

2. Mortgage rates are high. One of the biggerst problems is that my dad can take up to 15 years mortgage, and with my calculations for 200,000 mortgage (and 250,000-350,000 down payment) the monthly payments will be around 1500-1600 shekels, and with repair costs, vacancy, etc - the monthly payments will be around 1900 shekels.

I started talking with real estate agents (which is hard enough for me, because I don't sound very serious in their opinion :)) and reading articles about the prices of real estate in israel - prices have increased about 150% in the last 8 years and have never been more expensive here.

In summary, I don't know what to do. Options I've thought about:

1. Waiting for prices to go down. I've heard it more than once that you make your profit when you buy, not when you sell. Waiting might be a good idea, but prices just keep going up and all I did in the last 2 years was to wait.

2. Starting to look for deals anyway and trying to find cheap deals that can be rented for the highest amount - the only possible deals in my opinion.

I know I'm young, but I don't see how my dream is even possible. When ROI and cash on cash rates are so terrible (ROI is about 4%) it seems that the only option is waiting, and I feel I was "paralyzed" for two years, and stopping now is just not an option for me.

What should I do? Do you have any ideas what action should I take? To wait for the prices to go down or to start looking for properties anyway? I'm afraid to buy a house for 550,000 which cannot be rented for more than 1800, How can I make sure I don't do that mistake?

Thank you very much for your help!

Omer.

P.S. Sorry for the long post and for any spelling mistake that might have occured.

1Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Joel OwensBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
9y

If your market is over saturated look at possibly doing shorter term investing to keep growing the capital while looking for just the right property to buy.

What you don't want to do is dump a bunch of cash into a mediocre property ( just to buy something) and when a deal presents itself you are stuck.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    9y

    If your market is over saturated look at possibly doing shorter term investing to keep growing the capital while looking for just the right property to buy.

    What you don't want to do is dump a bunch of cash into a mediocre property ( just to buy something) and when a deal presents itself you are stuck.

  • Frankfort, IL · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 18 votes
    9y
    Hey man! Glad to hear you've been reading and keeping up on your market. You can always invest in other countries, especially in the North American market where I'm from. Anyhow, would love to hear more about your story! Feel free to PM me any time!
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Rehovot, Israel · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Hi Omer,

    I am also an investor from Israel.

    When I started my real estate journy couple of years ago, I also looked at the Israeli market, but realized very fast that the needed amount of money to buy a property is very high, and the ROI is very low, so that's where I started to invest in real estate in U.S, where you can get much higher ROI with much lower property prices.

    Good luck!

  • Investor · Israel · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Hi Omer!

    Welcome to the BP community.

    It's great you looking where to invest in your age. Try not to think you are too young or unexpirienced. Everyone starts from the begginning and if you starting in your age - the sky is the limit :)

    In my opinion the most important thing about investing in US from abroad is education and understanding of what actually are you doing. Pay attention there are companies in Israel that sell a houses for israelis. If you decide to go on deal with them, remember you have to do your own due diligence on a properties. 

    BTW I can recommend you some guy I have studied RE investing from him. If you want more details feel free to PM me.

    Have a good luck! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.