How SpongeBob got me into Real Estate Investing

How SpongeBob got me into Real Estate Investing

Craig CurelopBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

I know Spongebob Squarepants is one of those "dumb" shows that every parent hated that their kids watched. As I grow older, I have come to realize that a lot of those shows (including Spongebob) may have a deeper meaning. 

For those who don't know - Spongebob is a fun loving character whose maturity is that of a 7 or 8 year old child. He's always having fun. Even if it's just flipping burgers at the local restaurant.

Squidward is on the opposite of end of that spectrum. He has the personality of an "adult." Goes to work, hates his job, likes to be alone, and relaxes as much as possible. For some reason, as we mature, the vast majority of people start to act less like Spongebob and more like Squidward. 

Here is the 20 second clip that got me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eXU2p982GQ

The "lesson" that Squidward tries to teach Spongebob does not seem right to me. The idea of working for 40+ years and retiring (or dying) at 65+ with not much to show is daunting for me. While there are various ways to do it, Real Estate seems to be a ticket out. 

2Reply
17 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Oconomowoc, WI · Member since 2016 · 996 posts · 431 votes
    9y

    That's a very good clip to illustrate your point.  A lot of people end of being a Squidward (or at least inside while outside trying to act like Spongebob). Conversely I always enjoyed Mr. Krabbs though the portrayal is a facetious view of business owners and better off people, it was something that struck me as the more right path in life.  Mr. Krabbs himself wasn't a depressed or unhappy person (Spongebob antics aside), he was a happy guy because he had his stuff figured out.  

  • Craig CurelopBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Corina Eufinger - That is very true! How a business man should be, though exaggerated a little. He was always concerned about saving. Though, if I ever own a restaurant, I don't think I would charge for napkins :). 

  • Rental Property Investor · Oconomowoc, WI · Member since 2016 · 996 posts · 431 votes
    9y

    @Craig Curelop I would agree there about the napkins.  Its like charging for paper at law office or PM company. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Craig Curelop Actually, I think a lot of the people here are like Sheldon J. Plankton.  They assume there's a "Secret Formula" out there that would guarantee success.  The reality is that there's no secret real estate recipe that will turn The Chum Bucket into the Krusty Krab.  Even Mr. Krabs doesn't want you to pay $50K for a "platinum coaching program"...

    I'm still trying to work out a way wiggle Sandy Cheeks or the Weenie Hut into this line of thinking.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.