San Clemente, CA · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
Greetings all. I am in the process of purchasing my first house for a flip. I was looking for advice as to whether I should hire a home inspector to look at the property or just have my contractor check it out?
I'm new like you and have been instructed to use caution and use the inspector and GC for the first flip to get a better understanding of what to look for and to make sure that all stones have been overturned.
Investor · Edwardsville, IL · Member since 2015 · 432 posts · 481 votes
9y
I actually use both and here's why. I utilize the inspector's report to reopen negotiations when we find problems with the property that we weren't aware of while we were looking at the unit. The 50 - 60 pages of mostly fluff that inspector prints out can be intimidating to the average homeowner. It also looks more professional and unbiased than just the word of a contractor.
I also use the contractor as a second set of eyes to spot problems. The contractor can also give me a better idea on what it is going to cost to repair. I would also suggest you use a third professional for a termite inspections.
REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
9y
Check out the contract you are using. For instance if you use our standard board forms it says "Licensed Home Inspector". You also have to provide the findings relative (Which generally a home inspector has in their report). If a deal fell apart because we could not come to terms afterwards, I would recommend making a play for the EMD if I was representing the seller.