My first deal! No realtor. What do I do now?

My first deal! No realtor. What do I do now?

Real Estate Professional · Durham, NH · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 2 votes

Hi BP! My wife and I are looking at what may be a great deal but are scared to death! I live in the seacoast area of New Hampshire and have the opportunity to buy a family members house, in the same town I live in, for just what they have in it. I'm excited about renting it out and starting my BRRRR strategy to success. I was hoping to not use a realtor but am floundering on where to even get started. I don't know how much the property is worth so I can't work the numbers to see if it's a good deal. I've scheduled an appraiser to come out next week, but they are $500! I'm wondering if this is the best first step or is there another way to get a value of the property?

Other things that I don't know... How am I going yo get the money to even buy the place. I don't even have a down payment!

I definitely know why it's taken me so long to commit to real estate! This not knowing (especially when there's money on the line) is scary!!!

Should I bite the bullet and look at a realtor? Maybe a partner? 

What do you think?

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
9y

@Boyd Evans I would definitely contact an attorney or title company (is your state title close or attorney close?). They can take care of the mechanics of the closing for the normal costs in your area. 

As for comps, just use realtor.com or zillow. Stay as close to the subject as you can (within 1/2 to 1 mile) and try to find properties that are similar as possible. 

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2012 · 259 posts · 129 votes
    9y

    There are some free ways to determine an approximate value. Go to Zillow and filter on "recent solds". Also, I hear Realtor.com has even more up to date sold data. Try to look for homes that have sold in the same area, with same square footage and beds/baths. Keep in mind if the description/pictures show the home needed a lot of work, then the price will be lower than normal, and alternatively, if the description/pictures show the home was completely renovated, then the price would be on the upper end. Compare those to your property to gage market value. If the home is worth much more than what you are getting for it, then you can talk to your mortgage lender and see if they can use some equity in the home as your "down payment". If it isn't worth much more than you're paying, you'll need to come up with a downpayment somehow. Good luck!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Montgomery, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Boyd Evans now is the time to research the property. You need to get comfortable on the After Repair Value, as well as what the property could/should rent for, assuming by your post you plan to rent it.

    Has the owner given you an idea of what they have in it? Do they rent it now, live in it, or is it vacant? Not to downplay a realtor, but in this transaction I would be getting in touch with a good real estate attorney, who has good and trustworthy title companies and keep the realtor out of it. I imagine there is a NH real estate contract that would be filled out and completed by both parties? If so I would think treating it like any other real estate sale, complete a correct contract, after you have determined the ARV, rent rates, and if your offer works for you and the other party.

    In regards to funding, there are most likely options (sorry I know very little on this subject) and this would also be a first step, once you determine that the property will actually work.

  • Investor · Campton, NH · Member since 2010 · 286 posts · 144 votes
    9y

    Happy to help you any way I can Boyd, comps or otherwise.......  R. :)

  • Investor · Somersworth, NH · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    There are a lot of towns in NH that qualify for USDA 0% down mortgages so that is one thing to consider

  • Real Estate Professional · Durham, NH · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Thank you Neil, Brian, Richard, and Jake! This all great advice which I will follow up on. I am blown away that anyone would respond to my post at all!

  • Investor · MA · Member since 2014 · 164 posts · 114 votes
    9y

    @Boyd Evans I second the USDA loan. If it's in Durham i believe it will qualify. Happy to help with comps. 

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9y

    @Boyd Evans I would definitely contact an attorney or title company (is your state title close or attorney close?). They can take care of the mechanics of the closing for the normal costs in your area. 

    As for comps, just use realtor.com or zillow. Stay as close to the subject as you can (within 1/2 to 1 mile) and try to find properties that are similar as possible. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 63 posts · 38 votes
    9y

    Remember to also take into account the sale date when looking at comps. I know I've seen some sold prices on Zillow from 2015 that are way different than more current sale prices. It throws me off sometimes when I forget to click on the property and look at the sale date. Is there a way to filter out old sales on any of the MLS sites?

  • Real Estate Professional · Durham, NH · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Im going to research USDA loans. This property is in the country. Do you have to live in the property to qualify for a USDA loan?

  • Investor · MA · Member since 2014 · 164 posts · 114 votes
    9y

    @Boyd Evans yes USDA is an owner occupied loan, you have to intend to stay in the property for a year.

  • Real Estate Professional · Durham, NH · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Will Stewart. Also, many thanks to @Richard Dale-Mesaros for the great phone call and advice.

    Appraisal on the property is today, then it's time to crunch the numbers!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.