I need help with calculating Buy & Hold Investments (Multi-Uni)
Good Day all,
I`m a 24 year old professional looking into buying a Multi-Family Unit in the Philadelphia as my first investment property. My goal is to purchase a duplex in a somewhat safe location, with one unit at least being a 2br and one full bath, $300 cash flow from each unit (after taxes and expenses), while also gaining a 7% appreciation rate. I currently am qualified for a grant loan that will allow me to purchase a home with 3% down/4.25 interest rate/30yr mort. I have a realtor and we have both been looking at houses and plan to go on tours by the end of this week. I am not as worried when it comes to fixing up the house because I am more than willing to put in some sweat equity and my uncle being a contractor who is willing to help. My preference when it comes to the purchase price is not going above $90,000 because I want to be able to fix up the house to gain more equity in the long run. My real estate agent however would like me to look at multi family properties that would only need minor cosmetic work and that already have tenants in them. Houses in the 100,000-130,000 range. He basically says I should start out with less headaches being that it would be my first investment. Idk how I feel about that.. I really would like to start out purchasing less and I've heard people say its a bad idea to inherit tenants. Thoughts?
For the past couple of months, I have been engrossed in self studying and researching anything I can about real estate investments. The one thing that I am stumped on though is calculating the investment properties.. If anybody can help me out with that it would be awesome. I am open to any and all advice on here. Please be straightforward with me. i want to learn.
Thanks